Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone having A/C issues? (not cold, compressor cycling every few seconds)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'll set my temperature to 72, sometimes 74. Never below 70, the compressor runs far less and is still very comfortable. But here on the ludicrously temperate Oregon Coast 75 degrees is a hot day, 80+ is a heat wave.
    It would probably be fine there even in its current state of less effectiveness. When we first bought the car the A/C was very effective even when it was over 100°F. Now it is not effective even with it on 61°F, the fan on full and the vent set to recirculate. This weekend we were driving around on a nice 85°F day and were sweaty when we got to our destination.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it is important to note that the AC system is a SEALED system. There is nowhere for refrigerant to go, other than through the system, or through a leak in the system. If a dealer tries to tell you that it is normal for the system to be low in a certain time of year, or a certain geographical area, or a certain climate, they are talking out of their ass. Your refrigerator in your kitchen is the same sort of system. When was the last time you had to top it up with refrigerant (that did not involve repairing a leak)? Just food for thought.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed and that is why I am so disgruntled. Both the dealer and Mitsubishi corporate fed me similar lines of BS.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I had exactly the same issue with a Daihatsu Cuore. Needed new coolant after 3 years (just outside warranty). Could not find the leak, recharged it, and after 6 months it was empty again. I sold it partly because of that issue. Now I sense that my Mirage is not really cooling that well anymore after 2 years. Again out of warranty (only 1 year). So, it seems to be very difficult to make a tight system. Talked to a colleague who ownes a Mercedes Benz S class from the seventies (a classic) and he still has full airco capacity after fourty years. It IS possible to make them leak free! By the way, 8 out of 10 cases the condensor leaks. That is the most vulnerable part. If you do not use the airco in winter, it is mostly rubber sealings that have dried out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here in Texas we use the A/C most of the year — either when it's hot in summer or when it is wet/humid in the winter (to keep the windows from fogging). So I am 99% sure it is not an issue with a dried up seal.

I took a close look at the condenser and there is no damage or greasy residue anywhere on it. I am not accustomed to doing A/C work until the car is about 10 years old. And the one time I did have issues before then (on my 2003 Civic, when the compressor seized up two years out of warranty) Honda paid for 50% of the repair.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Leaks in airco not visible

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    Here in Texas we use the A/C most of the year — either when it's hot in summer or when it is wet/humid in the winter (to keep the windows from fogging). So I am 99% sure it is not an issue with a dried up seal.

I took a close look at the condenser and there is no damage or greasy residue anywhere on it. I am not accustomed to doing A/C work until the car is about 10 years old. And the one time I did have issues before then (on my 2003 Civic, when the compressor seized up two years out of warranty) Honda paid for 50% of the repair.
    It is not possible to see the leaks. They do not show up in the form of greasy spots. Just fluorescence under UV light helps when you fill it with fluorescent stuff first.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    It is not possible to see the leaks. They do not show up in the form of greasy spots. Just fluorescence under UV light helps when you fill it with fluorescent stuff first.
    Not necessarily true. When we check for freon leaks, we look for dirty looking wet spots first, before UV tests. The lubricating oil in the compressor and corresponding freon lines will almost always show where a seal or such is lacking. Otherwise, we also use the old spray bottle with dish soap and spray method.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got a 2015 Mirage ES, 400 miles on it now. I have noticed my AC turns off/on every 30 seconds or so even with the temperature set moderately high, like 76f-80f. I live in Louisiana so it is fairly hot out, but I sat in my car with it idling in the shade this morning, around 85f outside, and it would continue to do this the entire time.

It's weird because while the compressor does turn off the temperature of the air does remain cool.. it seems effective at maintaining temperature but I am worried that it is stressing it out too much. Does this sound normal or is there a test I can do to be more sure? If I have to take it in I sure hope I don't get the run around about the warranty..

Everything else about the car I love, really hoping this does not become a problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'll set my temperature to 72, sometimes 74. Never below 70, the compressor runs far less and is still very comfortable. But here on the ludicrously temperate Oregon Coast 75 degrees is a hot day, 80+ is a heat wave.
    Good advice. Don't set the AC to 61. Why? Because the car isn't going to get the interior temp down to 61 anyway, and is going to work it's a$$ off trying. Your system may actually be icing up, which reduces it's effectiveness. I set mine to 72 also, and it does that easily.

See if that helps. I never understood why anyone would want their car meat-locker cold inside anyway?
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 09-02-2016 at 02:35 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
    I just got a 2015 Mirage ES, 400 miles on it now. I have noticed my AC turns off/on every 30 seconds or so even with the temperature set moderately high, like 76f-80f. I live in Louisiana so it is fairly hot out, but I sat in my car with it idling in the shade this morning, around 85f outside, and it would continue to do this the entire time.

It's weird because while the compressor does turn off the temperature of the air does remain cool.. it seems effective at maintaining temperature but I am worried that it is stressing it out too much. Does this sound normal or is there a test I can do to be more sure? If I have to take it in I sure hope I don't get the run around about the warranty..

Everything else about the car I love, really hoping this does not become a problem.
    The AC has to cycle on and off...otherwise the system would ice up and quit working (especially in high humidity). Your home AC unit does the same thing.

It is working normally.