Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn signal enhancement

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Turn signal enhancement

I guess my hearing & vision are starting to slip a bit but compared to my Tacoma the "arrows" in the Mirage's dash pod are a bit dim and the clic-clac from the relay could be a bit louder,esp with the stereo playing so I sometimes find myself signalling a turn for miles.
    Looked into the arrows meant to install behind the mirror but too much cutting for me, so I found these clearance leds at a surplus store for $1.50 each. The only issue is they are white but no trouble to tint them amber.
    Did the DS yesterday, I will take photos of the PS installation if anybody is interested in a project of their own, here's a short clip.....
    It's in full sun.
    https://youtu.be/WCdfF7JJt7A

Last edited by strawboss; 07-18-2016 at 04:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

wellswebdesign (07-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the turn signal noise is really quiet in the Mirage. Far quieter than any other car I've driven. Looking forward to the write up!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Yeah, the turn signal noise is really quiet in the Mirage. Far quieter than any other car I've driven. Looking forward to the write up!
    So it's not just me, others find them quiet as well! Once the heat lets up after supper I'll start on the pass side.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I'm done turning the usually turn off by themselves unless i'm merging so i remember to turn them off manually. I'm always blasting my techno and trance so I can't hear my turn signal either. I'd get these.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    When I'm done turning the usually turn off by themselves unless i'm merging so i remember to turn them off manually. I'm always blasting my techno and trance so I can't hear my turn signal either. I'd get these.
    Just as an FYI, for merging, if you just bump the stalk, it will indicate 3 times. No need to turn on all the way.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Just as an FYI, for merging, if you just bump the stalk, it will indicate 3 times. No need to turn on all the way.
    This is where I fall down sometimes, I bump it a little too hard when merging/changing lanes and become the guy driving down the highway with his signal on for miles!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here is my install, first the tools/materiel I used. A 3/4" spade bit, 2-3 feet of 18 gauge soft steel wire,5/16" common drill bit,needle nose pliers (longer the better), electric/battery drill, side cutters, wire stripper, solder, shrink tube,soldering gun, electrical tape,4- plastic tapcons for splicing, duct tape, 20 gauge electrical wire 2 colours about 6-7 feet each,, liquid electrical tape, 2- 1" 12volt led clearance/penny lights for trucks amber http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ht/A-p8499253e 10mm socket w/driver-ratchet, med philips head screwdriver, trim removal tool or flat screwdriver.
    First to remove the interior plastic door panel here's a link on that http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ove+door+panel
    There is no particular order to this as long as the last wire splice takes place after all the wire pulling is done.
    I started by removing the 3 10 mm nuts holding the mirror on from inside the door. Attachment 6696
    There's black tape sealing the boot that I removed.
    Attachment 6697
    Here it is off, this is where the wire pigtails go through.
    Attachment 6698
    Now I use a 3/4" spade bit to drill a hole in the mirror arm at 1 1/2" from the door skin, the rubber grommet makes a waterproof seal here around the led pennylight.Name:  mirror plastic arm with hole drilled.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  92.7 KB
    Then a 5/16 drill to make a pass though for the new wires, be carefull not to fubar the existing wire bundle.Name:  mirror plastic arm with drill bit.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  96.8 KB
    I added some extra wire to the pigtails to make the final splices possibleName:  mirror mounting with pigtail pulled.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  94.2 KB
    now I remounted the mirror, the yellow tape is to reseal the bootName:  mirror mounted to frame with boot in place.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  87.7 KB
    This photo isn't clear but shows the 18 ga. wire with the 2 coloured wires taped to it allowing us to fish the wires up to the side marker ( which is already unmounted) to splice toName:  wire pulled through fender with fishing wire.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  68.4 KB
    Here are the wires at the marker light ready for splicing I used those plastic tapcons (looks like a liitle book, no photo of those, sorry)Name:  side marker with wire pulled through.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  79.4 KB
    So now we have the wires connected at both ends but have to pull the wires that we just attached to the side markers back through the rubber boot that guides the original wiring from the door to the door frame, reaching inside the door poke the fishing wire into the rubber boot and run it about half way up to have it poke through and attach the electrical wires to this w/duct tape ( a little lube helps here) as we are going to pull this bundle back through the boot, run it up inside the door and the plastic sheet to the pigtails that are hanging from the mirror.Use the liquid electrical tape to seal the wires where they pass through the rubber boot.Name:  wire pulled though rubber boot.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  79.0 KB
    So now we are basically done, all that is left is to connect the wires (in the correct polarity otherwise the leds won't light) I test before making it permanent. I soldered using shrink tube but butt connectors can be used too.
    I also managed to run a few inches of that split plastic tubing around the wires where they run behind the fender panels to avoid shorting when the wires chafe, this is where the long needlenose pliers are usedName:  101_0326.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  54.1 KB
    Also ensure to reattach the clear plastic sheet using that butyl rubber stickystuff!
    Last edited by strawboss; 07-19-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also wanted to do the turn signal arrows but like you decided not to. I'm also interested to see exactly how you did this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love the fact the first step involves drilling a really big hole!! Most people do not have the gumption too do such a thing too their "precious little mirag-e-poo!"

Commendable idea. ide re route the wires. Otherwise, great jobb!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I love the fact the first step involves drilling a really big hole!! Most people do not have the gumption too do such a thing too their "precious little mirag-e-poo!"

Commendable idea. ide re route the wires. Otherwise, great jobb!!
    I'm not sure how to re-route the wires, how would you do it?