Thread: Interior Detailing Guide 2023

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks

Post Interior Detailing Guide 2023

Hey all! I do car detailing as a side hustle and wanted to share an updated guide on how to detail your Mirage and have it looking on point! Hopefully this will be the first of many guides. I will try and keep it simple, covering (i) equipment required and (ii) steps to perform.

PREFACE
    Car detailing can be split broadly into 2 parts: (i) interior and (ii) exterior. This separation helps as the tools/chemicals etc need to be different for both.

Exterior detailing can be further broken down into
    1. Wash
    2. Paint correction
    3. Paint protection

I hope to cover these in future.

THE INTERIOR

Supplies required
    1. Plastic Bag or Bin (for collecting trash)
    2. Small Brush - [soft] paintbrush or toothbrush works
    3. Microfiber Towels - nothing fancy, save the expensive ones for the paint
    4. Interior cleaner - any APC works at recommended dilutions
    5. Interior Dressing
    6. Carpet Brush
    7. Vacuum (optional)

Steps
    • Clean out the trash from the door panels, back seat, etc.
    • Clean the floor mats. Remove them and shake them out, away from the vehicle.
      • If they’re carpeted, brush/vacuum them.
      • If they’re rubber, spray down some interior cleaner/APC and brush them. Rinse/wipe clean.
    • Set the floor mats aside to dry or air out.
    • Brush/vacuum the seats. Do not use the carpet brush if its too stiff. Use the brush to remove dirt/debris onto the carpet. Use your fingers to push along the seams to clean those areas.
    • Brush/vacuum the carpet. Use the carpet brush or vacuum to remove dirt/debris from the floor carpet.
    • Clean the plastics. Grab a microfiber and fold it into quarters. Spray the interior cleaner onto a quarter wipe clean. As the quarter gets dirty (visibly) swap to a new side and spray interior cleaner. Change out the towel when all quarters get dirty. Use a separate wet towel to wipe over the cleaned areas to remove the cleaner from the surface.
      • Plastics include: the dash, doors, center console, gear shift, hand brake, interior pillars, steering column.
      • Note: do not spray interior cleaner/apc directly onto plastics, they are usually caustic (alkaline) and can leave "burn" marks.
    • Apply dressing. Get a new microfiber and spray dressing onto it. Wipe all the cleaned plastic areas down. Typically more dressing equals shinier look. I personally prefer matte finish hence spray the dressing sparingly.

And you are done! For first timers, this process can take up to 3 hours, especially if your car has a lot of miles on it and is not cleaned from time to time. If crunched for time, I like to break it into sections: clean the mats+carpet one day (0.5-1h), do the plastics another day (1h) etc. Having a vacuum saves time (and your back).

Hope this helps!

Attaching the before and after of one of the doors of my partner's car (I forgot to take before/after of my Mirage )

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AyAyron For This Useful Post:

george (08-27-2023),inuvik (08-26-2023),jonesboro (08-28-2023),klroger (08-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice! Thank you!
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you! I just got a Mirage and really want to keep it clean and taken care of.

I'm looking forward to your exterior guides

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flemij View Post
    Thank you! I just got a Mirage and really want to keep it clean and taken care of.

I'm looking forward to your exterior guides
    Hello flemij and welcome to the forum. Let us know about your Mirage and how you found the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)