Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny, Rude or Random Comments Made About Your Mirage?

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I get a lot of questions about my "78HP" license plate -- If that's actually what it makes. It really strikes the conversation about how light the car is, how under stressed the drivetrain is, and how great the gas mileage can be (without "trying" to be economic). I guess it's surprising for people to see that low of a horsepower figure in a modern car sold these days when you have Hellcat this, Ecoboost that, and the diesel truck makers in a race to tow the most weight and make the most torque. But then again, those vehicles are the Mirage's competition!

I used to have a "50MPG" plate as well, but swapped it for the "78HP" one because there's plenty of cars that get that kind of mileage, and it's not worth the trouble to explain the significance of a non-hybrid, non-diesel and N/A car getting that kind of mileage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaux For This Useful Post:

2of9 (12-03-2020),MetroMPG (12-02-2020)

Fun! Now I want a 55 hp plate for my Firefly/Metro.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My father says I drive a lawn mower.

A Nissan dealer said "They call it a Mirage because it disappears" and laughed it off.

Somewhere in Mississippi in January 2020 at a gas station I ran into a guy with the newer G4 grille and asked if it was a 2020 and told him it was a sweet ride. I think he was surprised I even knew what model year he had.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 12-03-2020 at 03:33 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    I've given up caring about people in **** situations. I've found that for every 100 people who are in a bad way only around 1 person was actually just unfortunate. The rest of the people are idiots and have done it to themselves and deserve it. I find this especially true with cars. We wouldnt have even bought another car unless we could afford to buy it out right even thought we didnt. I live well outside my means and yet I still know how to balance everything and have most of my bills paid out well over 6 months out. You don't have to be rich to be stable.
    Only 1 out of 100 hundred huh? That's a hard world you live in brother.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Mirages are ridiculously common in the streets of Manila, but whenever I pass a group of young kids I'd inevitably see fingers pointing and sometimes hear one of them yelling "GREEN!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    All my car guy friends can respect the Mirage for what it is.
    As for the normies, not so much. They talk smack, but I just reply with "have fun with your $600 monthly car payment"
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    All my car guy friends can respect the Mirage for what it is.
    As for the normies, not so much. They talk smack, but I just reply with "have fun with your $600 monthly car payment"
    This one is true enough. On the first one we had we had $120ish a month car payments. We got the thing for nothing with a handful of discounts thrown on it. Loyalty, Military, previous purchaser etc. That and the insurance is nothing for the car too. It's all around an insanely cheap car to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Only 1 out of 100 hundred huh? That's a hard world you live in brother.
    I'm not an asshole but, I just believe life is very much what you make of it and those of us living none amazingly aspirational lives have done so because we didnt take the risk to do big things. Just like I believe people who are in **** situations have made tons of poor choices to there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I've given up caring about people in **** situations. I've found that for every 100 people who are in a bad way only around 1 person was actually just unfortunate. The rest of the people are idiots and have done it to themselves and deserve it.
    I agree with this very much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Clessy (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I went to Taco Bell for lunch a couple days ago. Because they let you dine-in there. Their menu sucks now, but anywho. A good friend of mine came in. We talked awhile. When I was leaving he walked by the blueberry and said, "Why the hell did you buy this?"

I said, "for $11k, 10 year powertrain warranty and nearly 50 mpg, it's as close to free as it gets, so why not." He's now running his own bidness and doing well. One of his workers standing there with him said, "expletive, I should have got this ... half the cost, twice the mileage." I don't know what his coworker had just bought.

My friend knows I don't buy sh1t cars, and he loves my Lexus (something we talked about in Taco Bell) and calls it "the limo." He bought a Titan with the Cummins new for his bidness, but dumped it after a few months because he had problems with it that the Nissan mechanics didn't know how to fix due to the Cummins. He got a Tundra (and loves it). So ... the point being, I think he gained some appreciation for the Mirage since he knows I don't buy crap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    This one is true enough. On the first one we had we had $120ish a month car payments. We got the thing for nothing with a handful of discounts thrown on it. Loyalty, Military, previous purchaser etc. That and the insurance is nothing for the car too. It's all around an insanely cheap car to own.

I'm not an asshole but, I just believe life is very much what you make of it and those of us living none amazingly aspirational lives have done so because we didnt take the risk to do big things. Just like I believe people who are in **** situations have made tons of poor choices to there.
    I understand getting burned by the same person multiple times can be infuriating. I guess my outlook is based on my patients who have been ravaged from health issues, destroying their financial security. And I'm a firm believer in second chances as I was given one to turn my life around a long time ago.

Name:  quotes-about-forgiveness8.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  81.4 KB

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-03-2020),MetroMPG (12-06-2020)