Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey, from Toronto. And, a transmission question.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you, zx2uner. I really appreciate your (and everyone's here) expert advice. I will refer to the manual for CVT flush info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think that you may find this thread interesting: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...p-with-the-CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum (obviously lol). I've been following Mirage Forum since the beginning of this year and just now decided to make an account haha.

I was reading this particular thread and wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I've discovered that if you disable the mirage's traction control, you don't notice the neutral idle-logic NEARLY as much if any at all. I've done many tests with this. From disabling it right after I start the car to disabling it while I'm rolling down the highway. I'd come to a red light with it disabled and like I said I BARELY even notice the "releasing effect" of the NIL (neutral idle-logic) Then before the light turns green, I enable the traction control again. Came to my next stop and definitely noticed the "releasing affect" again right before I came to a complete stop.

Finding this out literally changed my outlook and the way I felt about my Mirage. I most certainty love it a whole lot more!

If anyone reads this post, I'm curious what your results would be if you try this method.

Happy Monday!
    Nick

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nwr251 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-19-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi, nwr251 (Nick). Thank you for sharing the technique. There is always something new to learn! I will give it a try, to disengage the traction control just before stopping then engage while driving. R01K, thank you for finding the thread for the "chauffeur stop." I had no idea that this experience was common to many of the CVT drivers here.

Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    I understand that putting a CVT into neutral at stop lights may not be harmful, but just dropping it into neutral just randomly and whenever is not good for any CVT or Auto. If a vehicle should be towed with it's wheels off the ground, like our Mirage with CVT does, then neutral should never be used rolling except for emergency purposes.
    The issue with towing is related to lubrication - in cars that cannot be "flat towed" it's because the engine needs to be running (turning the transmission input shaft) in order to keep up fluid pressure in the transmission to prevent damage.

Neutral in a car with a running engine is OK.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: welcome to both of you, nwr251 and MitsuCA!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey, Nick nwr251, earlier this week, I tried your suggestion to turn off the traction control just before a stop and you are right, this negated the chauffeur stop. It was a bit of juggling act, but I wanted to try it to see the difference. I agree with zx2uner, that after some getting used to, it may just become a second thought.

Thank you, R01K, there is a lot of useful information in the thread about the transmission you sources. I appreciate you spending the time to source that helpful information (and thank you to everyone who contributed).

Hey, MetroMPG, thank you very much for the added info!

Thank you, everyone.