Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Brand of oil are you using?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mobil 1 or Havoline. 0W20. Spec is 3.11 liters. If you do take your car somewhere to get the oil done even a dealership make sure you tell at least two people that it holds 3.11 otherwise they're going to dump 4 to 5 quarts in it. I had a dealership put four and a half quarts of 5W30 in my car. The employees at the business across the street came outside to see what I was screaming at them about.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Mobil 1 or Havoline. 0W20. Spec is 3.11 liters. If you do take your car somewhere to get the oil done even a dealership make sure you tell at least two people that it holds 3.11 otherwise they're going to dump 4 to 5 quarts in it. I had a dealership put four and a half quarts of 5W30 in my car. The employees at the business across the street came outside to see what I was screaming at them about.
    I hear ya, that's why I provide the oil and only bring 3 quarts. I tell them I'll top it off. 3 quarts puts it in the "safe" zone so it eliminates the possibility of overfilling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-10-2016),HitShane (11-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use Mobil 1 0W20 EP as I can get it for like $15 per 5 quarts with a rebate from Wal-Mart. I always buy my allotment when they have those rebate deals and store it away for the next oil change. These call for 0W20 synthetic and I wouldn't want to mess with my warranty. That being said, I understand that these specify a variety of different oils overseas and it is the same engine. If I were to go up a grade it would probably be the Mobil 1 0W40 European for the price/quality of this oil, especially with rebates.

I am amazed at how these don't seem to use any oil once broken in. They might use good tight tolerances for the 0W20 not to sneak by.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I use Mobil 1 0W20 EP as I can get it for like $15 per 5 quarts with a rebate from Wal-Mart. I always buy my allotment when they have those rebate deals and store it away for the next oil change. These call for 0W20 synthetic and I wouldn't want to mess with my warranty. That being said, I understand that these specify a variety of different oils overseas and it is the same engine. If I were to go up a grade it would probably be the Mobil 1 0W40 European for the price/quality of this oil, especially with rebates.

I am amazed at how these don't seem to use any oil once broken in. They might use good tight tolerances for the 0W20 not to sneak by.

Conor
    Agreed, the 3A92 is a fantastic little motor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    gotta switch back soon. my gas milage is so high

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I am impressed with the engine so far. Have there been any stories of how they hold up to abuse and neglect? I came to this car from the Geo Metro and most of these have been run hard and put up wet by this time. These little engines will develop problems but still keep running on 2 cylinders and such.

I am coming up on my second oil change and the oil still looks pretty clean. Anyway, I have been changing early but may go to the book suggestions once I do this one as all the wear in/break in should pretty much be complete.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    When I went in for my one free dealer oil change I saw a used 3A92 on a pallet.

I was surprised to see it. I never found out what happened to it.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-12-2016 at 01:12 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I work on computers/electronics for a living and always say, "If people can find a way to mess something up, they will." They can take something perfectly good and ruin it in short order. Who knows what happened to that engine. Force revved? Run without oil? Oil never changed?

I just got my hands on a $7000 zero turn mower for cheap because someone decided to try and "work" on it themselves. I am in the process of rebuilding one of the hydraulic drive transmissions. I swear they drove oversize bolts into the housing using a hammer!

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Yes, I am impressed with the engine so far. Have there been any stories of how they hold up to abuse and neglect? I came to this car from the Geo Metro and most of these have been run hard and put up wet by this time. These little engines will develop problems but still keep running on 2 cylinders and such.

I am coming up on my second oil change and the oil still looks pretty clean. Anyway, I have been changing early but may go to the book suggestions once I do this one as all the wear in/break in should pretty much be complete.

Conor
    I drive mine very hard. I do 0w20 changes at 7kmi. Im at 35k miles. Not an issue so far.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't take it easy on mine but don't beat the crap out of it either. You kinda have to run these somewhat hard being a relatively small engine and all. I am sure the rings are seated quite nicely on mine.

I think modern engines are really tough overall with a few exceptions. Chrysler and Fiat seem to have the market cornered on the duds.

Conor