Thread: CVT jerk normal?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thank you!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So I took my car to dealership, they had a look at transmission oil and said everything looks fine. And since the jerks happen at random times, they could not replicate the issue. Has anyone found a fix yet? Any tips?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    So I took my car to dealership, they had a look at transmission oil and said everything looks fine. And since the jerks happen at random times, they could not replicate the issue. Has anyone found a fix yet? Any tips?
    How would you describe your driving habits? I would say I used to have a hardfoot, but I learned how to drive economically. I would get a jerk, but only if I was hard on the brakes then pressed on the gas right away. I'd say the "jerk" for me is all about the brakes.

Also, when I break but then the person in front of me stopped way to early(like the leave enough room for a semi truck then really slowly creep up) and I try to be softer on the brakes then it somewhat jolts forward a little bit, not a significant jolt but you can tell. Maybe it has to do with the stock soft suspension?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    I honestly think there's nothing wrong and you're just not used to the way this particular CVT operates.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    How would you describe your driving habits? I would say I used to have a hardfoot, but I learned how to drive economically. I would get a jerk, but only if I was hard on the brakes then pressed on the gas right away. I'd say the "jerk" for me is all about the brakes.

Also, when I break but then the person in front of me stopped way to early(like the leave enough room for a semi truck then really slowly creep up) and I try to be softer on the brakes then it somewhat jolts forward a little bit, not a significant jolt but you can tell. Maybe it has to do with the stock soft suspension?
    I am quite gentle on the throttle. The car doesn't have any power to justify a hard foot lol. I definitely drive it in an economical fashion. You can say it's kinda similar to what you describe, however it's happening to me even when when no brakes are involved. So like rolling to a stop (but you're not really stopping, but coasting with no throttle input?), then accelerating gently. It feels like you're driving a stick car, where it jolts you slightly if you put it in gear after coasting in neutral.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    I honestly think there's nothing wrong and you're just not used to the way this particular CVT operates.
    Now that would perfectly make sense if I was new to this car. However, I didn't have any issues when I was given a courtesy Mirage in the past while my car sat at the dealership. Similar mileage, it shifted/operated comparatively smoother.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Interesting comment in the video, that he doesn't believe in synthetic oil. I wonder why?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think he is over the age 55 and it is hard for us change some times.

With the rebates on synthetic oil it brings it down to about what conventional oil cost.

http://pzl.promotionsprod.com/diy/spring16/

Andy

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What I fail to believe is how the viscosity of motor oil is going to impact functioning of a transmission?! Mirage has a tiny engine to begin with, I think Mitsubishi chose to use 0-20 oil for a reason and more so for fuel economy. According to the video, sure his car might react better to 5-30 but its not a universal fact. My other car (2014 coyote) is factory rated for 5w20 (non-track pack), I read countless threads on how 5w-30 would be a better choice, better sheering qualities, engine noise and what not. Well, the moment I changed the oil, I could hear that my engine had a distinctive odd sound - slightly louder to say the least. Now I am not saying it would happen with mirage too, but I ain't going to switch the oils just for a merry run. I have free oil changes for life from the dealership, mobil 1 0-20 synthetic that they use is more than good enough.