Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

One of the commenters on that TTAC piece makes a good point: if Mitsu makes this into a mini-CUV, the price is going to go up.

Look at the price differential between all the CUVs and the cars they're built from. Sometimes the price is $4-5k more. Same drivetrains, too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One of the commenters on that TTAC piece makes a good point: if Mitsu makes this into a mini-CUV, the price is going to go up.

Look at the price differential between all the CUVs and the cars they're built from. Sometimes the price is $4-5k more. Same drivetrains, too.
    Yep. I really don’t like SUV/CUV’s. I’ve owned a 4Runner before and drove an Escape for a company car but I’d rather have a car or a truck. Also like you mentioned they cost quite a bit more which I couldn’t justify paying. Ford is axing almost all of their cars for more profitable SUV/CUV’s and trucks. Sad really.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

How many CUV/SUV vehicles are enough?

I wish the Mirage would stay an affordable & economical 4-door hatchback. If a more expensive, small CUV is needed in their line up, create a new model & call it something else. I think the Mirage is very unique in the U.S. market, & the competition is becoming less not greater. The same cannot be said of small CUV/SUV type vehicles. Ford dropping most of their cars is a prime example of this.

Small car = Mirage & Mirage G4
    Mid-size car = Lancer
    Small SUV = Outlander Sport - let this model become the small CUV in the line up.
    Mid-size SUV = Eclipse Cross - leave as is pretty much.
    Larger SUV = Outlander - Have this compete with the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, & Subaru Ascent.
    Small pickup = Add a tough small pickup that's actually affordable (wishful thinking on my part).

I would hate to see the Mirage evolve into something totally different. That would be like changing the VW bug into a SUV. That's just silly! Yet, the Beetle, Golf, and Jetta all share similar platforms. I think there will always be a market for affordable, reliable, & economical cars. Being bold & different isn't making another CUV/SUV. The Mirage is cheap, reliable, and economical. Those are its best traits. Work on improving those, & I would be interested. Another CUV makes me yawn!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MMC COO Trevor Mann, speaking to the press in Bangkok last week said that the next Mirage (7th gen) is likely to be CMF B based but it’s not decided yet. Knowing MMC’s habit of announcing new products well in advance (example: 2021 Outlander), “not decided yet” is music to the ears of those hoping for a couple more years of classic 6th gen production.

source: https://www.caradvice.com.au/702130/...mirage-future/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuques For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-10-2018),MetroMPG (11-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuques View Post
    MMC COO Trevor Mann, speaking to the press in Bangkok last week said that the next Mirage (7th gen) is likely to be CMF B based but it’s not decided yet. Knowing MMC’s habit of announcing new products well in advance (example: 2021 Outlander), “not decided yet” is music to the ears of those hoping for a couple more years of classic 6th gen production.

source: https://www.caradvice.com.au/702130/...mirage-future/
    This is the part of the article that I enjoyed the most. "Mann was at pains to point out Mitsubishi’s design, sales, and marketing teams would be strictly separated from Renault and Nissan, and said the company must retain its ‘Mitsubishi-ness’ – whatever the heck that means."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-11-2018),Pryme (11-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol@ Mitsubishi-ness

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the Mirage turns into an "SUV" it will most likely become something like a Spark Activ. They will probably most likely keep it low budget but give it a bit of a crossover look. My hope is that they continue to offer regular versions and keep the SUVied version as an option. If they use a Juke platform they could probably easily make AWD an option as well.

Name:  activ.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  52.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Seems like people like to sit up higher. Me included. Eventually everyone is gonna be driving things that look like Gru's car on DM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My lord we have enough pig heavy bulky SUVs. Can we not have ONE small light weight basic, non hybrid gas sipping car anymore? Is that too much to ask

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-13-2018),Eggman (11-13-2018),MetroMPG (11-14-2018),timw4mail (11-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would argue that the Mirage on it's current platform (and moreso on earlier platforms) has already spent a lot of time bordering on being the smallest CUV. Although it has all of the small car cheapness, of other hatchbacks, it has that tall and skinny game going with enough ground clearance to be passable (between Impreza and factory lifted Impreza, which is one of the higher clearance CUV's out there.) It certainly handles like a CUV before you bolt on a shameless plug for a Daox rear sway bar. That said, the cost consideration is valid, unless you consider that it will probably be cheaper to make a couple of stripped back Mitsu trims on a Nissan platform than to develop a new Mitsubishi-only platform that's as cheap to manufacture as the outgoing body while updating for safety. (as a side note, Mitsubishi is already advertising their eevo concept on video screens in old Mitsubishi elevators here in Ha Noi. Loving the sight of all these Tritons, Rangers, Navaras, Kia Bongos and Suzuki Cary police "trucks". All the tiny trucks. Also Kia "New Morning" is one of the prevailing compact cars here, which we don't get to see in the west. This place is a small car spotter's paradise.

2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-14-2018)