Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Heater Installation (OEM cartridge style 400w)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post

That works too unless it's windy. My bins always blow away.
    I don't have that problem in my garage. Leave something on driver's seat would work for me. Be creative.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1976.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  96.2 KB
    I use extensions cords with the led illuminated plug end. It makes them easy to see as long as you approach your car from the front.
    The cord exits the garage high where I can see it above fresh snow. And use dielectric grease on the plug ends to keep them from freezing and helps them plug, unplug nicely.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-20-2019)

I'm assuming the block heater in mine isn't a Mitsubishi one? The cord is way shorter than the ones I put in the work cars. Probably atleast a foot or so shorter, unless they bunched up the excess wire down by the heater?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine is just a kats one, I didn't have the factory wire diagram to follow so I just chose what I thought was best for my path.
    Name:  IMG_1988.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  87.6 KB
    I used Mack semi wire loom to cover the cord for extra protection.
    I followed the ac line and exited by my front plate where I can easily flip the plug in and out of the lower grill.
    Name:  IMG_1990.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  87.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1991.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  90.7 KB
    Not saying it's a great way, just how I did mine.
    Will say the block heater and cruise are my 2 best additions to the car, weather tech floor mats are just behind those.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Hey A-Aron, try a lower grill block in colder temperatures. It'll make a big difference in getting your 3A92 up to temperature, and keep it there.

Here's some threads for inspiration:
    DIY cheap removable partial grill block
    DIY: Coroplast grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (11-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks eggman,
    Just ordered a used scan gauge 2 so I can monitor real time mpg and temps..
    It's not here yet.
    I didn't want to try any grill block mods without a proper way to keep an eye on the effects.
    Call me paranoid!

I’m thinking of sticking some expanded metal behind the bumper to help cut down on the beating the condenser and rad will take as I drive down the freeway honking the squeaker toy horn flipping people off ���� This is after a few winters Attachment 16100 I think there was around 200k km on this one

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Thanks eggman,
    Just ordered a used scan gauge 2 so I can monitor real time mpg and temps..
    It's not here yet.
    I didn't want to try any grill block mods without a proper way to keep an eye on the effects.
    Call me paranoid!
    I find my Scan Guage far more valuable than I imagined. I'd buy a second in a minute if there weren't so expensive. I should hunt around for a use one.

Yes, you can buy a Veepeak OBDII blue tooth dongle for $25, https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-Blueto...e%2C328&sr=1-4 and use Torque Lite with a smartphone or a tablet. I don't know if it's my phone, tablet, configuration, whatever, but it takes a good 30 seconds or more for Torque to find the dongle and connect to it. I'm spoiled because the scan gauge connects immediately.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Yes, you can buy a Veepeak OBDII blue tooth dongle for $25, https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-Blueto...e%2C328&sr=1-4 and use Torque Lite with a smartphone or a tablet.
    Hey Wallythacker not to pick on you but just a warning to others considering using cheap OBD-II adapters - they have been known to cause problems with the Mirage.

For a few bucks more get a better quality adapter. I used the OBDLink LX without problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Wallythacker not to pick on you but just a warning to others considering using cheap OBD-II adapters - they have been known to cause problems with the Mirage.
    I understand you're not picking on me.

The Veespeak has indeed made my Mirage go odd a handul of times in the 3 years it's been plugged in, at first, my 2014, and it's been in my 2017 since. What happens each time is the lights for stability, traction control and ABS come on and there is a noticeable reduction in power, maybe......10-15 percent, but not much more.

The first time it happened was on the highway so I left the highway at the first chance. It was winter so I stopped the car but didn't turn it off. I called my dealer and they had never heard of this issue and they advised me to keep driving and monitor things until the car came in for service in two weeks. After I hung up I decided to go inside the mall and get lunch. I turned off my car. I missed the 30 second courtesy timer to raise my window so I started the car, Everything was back to normal. In the last few years it's done the same thing maybe, 4-5 times, maybe just 3.

I do have a splitter with on/off rocker switches and a Scan Gauge on the , so those devices have added reactance to the circuit. I'm very happy with the setup and the minor issue as explained is no big deal. Oh boy, I think I need a

tl;dr

cheap veespeak has glitched a few times over the years without creating a hazard. :

Last edited by Eggman; 11-24-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)