Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest pet peeve of the Mirage? (Annoyances)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Biggest thing for me is just the rattles my dash has developed.

I'm pretty sure I could fix it with some silicone caulking or foam tape or something... but i'm going to whine here instead

Rattle in the steering column plastic cover, goes away when pressed (probably from when I opened it to run the cruise wires)

Rattle in the HVAC panel cover, again goes away when pressed (has existed since day one of ownership).

Oh, and the screws for the back aero 'smoother' usually need re-tightening every year or so, as they loosen with bumps.... probably should try some Loctite.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-18-2020)

I feel like complaining too.
    -I don't like the seat and lack of armrest.
    -Can't turn on the heated seats with a coffee much in the LH cup holder.
    -Usb cord in the glove box on pre 2018 models was kinda dumb.
    -Steel wheels bend pretty easily from potholes, but that's mostly cause they're tiny 14's.
    -The drain plug for the cvt is on the high side of the oil pan so you can't get all the fluid out.
    -Air cleaner snorkel will shake and eventually wear out the airbox if not secured early on.
    -Washer bottle has that airgap at the top 2" so you can't fill it to the top unless you poke a few holes in it with a red hot coat hanger.
    -The engines can flood easily in cold weather or when start and stopped before warmed up.
    -Manual belt adjuster is nice for simplicity but I'd rather just replace a belt and not have to re adjust it. That cuts into my beer drinking time.
    -Lack of a dome light for rear passengers. It can be a pita getting kids buckled up in the dark with no light back there.
    -The carpet and floor insulation is pretty cheap and crappy. To be expected on a cheap car though.
    -The paint is pretty thin, again cheap car problems.
    -When the power window (kid)lock button is down you can't use any of the windows. Do children drive these cars?
    -Another cheap car problem,thin body panels. But the bonus is if your fender isn't aligned properly just pull or push on it until it is.
    -Clutch fluid
    -Exhaust rattle on 2017 and newer models caused by that one exhaust hanger.
    -Just about any accident these cars are involved will make caused them to be flagged as a write off/total loss.
    -Lately used prices for Mirages seem to have risen along with new prices. Asking prices are often close to what they paid for a car 2-3 years ago when new.
    -Tires are too round.
    -Driving a Mirage will attract bumper humpers/tailgaters and people who just like to run into little cars for fun. One must drive one like you're on a motorcycle and try not to be turned into road pizza. Everyone is out to get you! lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    -The engines can flood easily in cold weather or when start and stopped before warmed up.
    You still dealing with this at work? I almost flooded mine this week from a very short drive (the next start it didn't want to fire).

-Clutch fluid
    I know! Mine's always empty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You still dealing with this at work? I almost flooded mine this week from a very short drive (the next start it didn't want to fire).

I know! Mine's always empty.
    Yeah, that one that needs a cvt flooded on me the other day after starting and stopping 3 times in a row....My fault, I didn't rev it up to clear out the gallons of fuel it dumps in there before shutting it off.
    And...This morning it was -21c I started a car that sat outside overnight, it reached inside and started. It ran like the pooh,I wasn't quick enough to jump in and rev it up a little so it stalled. And was flooded. Being impatient and cold I tried to unflood it right away rather than let it sit. I ended up pushing it inside and pulled the plugs. They were soaked as expected but the tips were worn down. Whoops, this one still had the original plugs at 265,000kms/164,000miles...

I was expecting a few drivers to tell me their cars didn't start this morning, but they were all more successful than me lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One last minor annoyance of mine for the Mirage is the backup camera getting dirty.I understand all backup cameras have that but would be nice if they included some type of little wiper with it or had an emblem like Volkswagen where it popped out at certain times.

Or probably the more possible scenario: I could stop being lazy and just clean it from time to time lol.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 12-18-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-20-2020),MetroMPG (12-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    -Lately used prices for Mirages seem to have risen along with new prices. Asking prices are often close to what they paid for a car 2-3 years ago when new.
    Car depreciates too fast - people complain.

Car doesn't depreciate fast enough - people complain.

This 2015 Mirage has about the same mileage as my 2017. They are asking $9,600 for a 5-6 year old Mirage. That's $300 more than what I paid for my brand new 2017.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2550/overview/

Then again, there's a 2019 ES with more features like cruise & less mileage for $9964. Still more than my car new, but also has had some added features (back up camera, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, & cruise control) added since 2017.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8783/overview/

I like my Mirage, but I personally wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for one.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-20-2020),Fummins (12-18-2020),MetroMPG (12-18-2020),MirageRally (12-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    6-way adjustable driver's seat...
    Mark - The 6-way adjustable driver's seat may not be such a big deal. I'm guessing the older ones are 4-way (slide fore-aft, incline-recline). The up-down didn't seem to make much difference. It put it down as far as it would go, and it is still not low enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Same, my 2014 has the fancy up and down knob. It's been to the floor since I bought it. Raising it just makes it harder to see who gonna crash into me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Same, my 2014 has the fancy up and down knob. It's been to the floor since I bought it. Raising it just makes it harder to see who gonna crash into me.
    Them and tailgaters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Mark - The 6-way adjustable driver's seat may not be such a big deal. I'm guessing the older ones are 4-way (slide fore-aft, incline-recline). The up-down didn't seem to make much difference. It put it down as far as it would go, and it is still not low enough.
    I know the 6-way driver's seat is not a big deal. I had the option of buying an ES or SE manual in 2017. I sat in the SE to see if would make a difference, & I would never use the adjustment. It was a non-factor. I have it on my Subaru, & I never use it.

My driver's education car (2015 Impala Limited) has the 8-way adjustable electric driver's seat. I must admit that is extremely useful. I have student drivers of all sizes in that seat. The seat & mirrors are being adjusted constantly in that car. Some lessons I may have a boy over 6' 2" paired up with a girl under 5' 6".

Whereas no one has driven my Mirage since the WB salesman delivered it to my home in 2017. The one exception would be a mechanic @ White Bear (doing whatever recall the following summer).