Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Push button start on DE

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I also find it odd that North American Mirages do not have steering wheel locks, but they don't.

Only the top trim level (SE) has push button start with a FAST-key entry system in 2021-22. All the other trim levels (ES, LE, BE) have a chipped key with remote keyless entry.

Just quotes, not my thoughts -

"There have been many cases where professional thieves have stolen cars equipped with a steering wheel lock by simply cutting a portion of the steering wheel to remove the device, or by drilling or cutting the device itself to disable it."
    Mar 15, 2021

"The technology in keyless entry systems actually makes it easier than ever to steal a car. ... In fact, 92% of the vehicles UK car security company Tracker recovered in 2019 were stolen without using the owner's keys. This new method of stealing a car is called a relay attack."
    Mark, that first quote you shared is about aftermarket steering wheel locks. The most common brand is “the club” sometimes people remove them by cutting the steering wheel. It has nothing to do with a lock that would be built into the steering column.

Technically people on this forum including myself use the terms steering wheel lock and steering column lock interchangibly even though they mean different things.

Last edited by mohammad; 12-27-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    AllRock, You are correct, i do have the traction control and the curtain airbags(i did check this). Id like to clarify that i have the mechanical key cheapest model("poverty edition") available in canada and i have no steering lock. Id also like to clarify that gm's issue was also with the mechanical key. As the key could be turned if you had a heavy ring of keys attached to your car key and the car went over a bump. This is because gm's system that our vehicles also have that prevents you from taking the key out while the vehicle is not in park was very fragile(cheaply designed) and would wear down over time
    Well this is what happen when engineers let those lawyers control them, how heavy is that keychain to turn a key into lock position?never heard of that happening here in our area ive been on automotive career for almost 10 years never heard of that happening, engineers compromise security features just because some stupid people put a heavy keychain in a car key, then lawyers took the opportunity to earn money from it that was sad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    Well this is what happen when engineers let those lawyers control them, how heavy is that keychain to turn a key into lock position?never heard of that happening here in our area ive been on automotive career for almost 10 years never heard of that happening, engineers compromise security features just because some stupid people put a heavy keychain in a car key, then lawyers took the opportunity to earn money from it that was sad.

You seem to feel steering wheel lock is extremely important. I like that Mirage doesn't have it.

I have never driven one, but I've heard the Toyota Prius may not have steering wheel locks. Since the vehicle can't be shifted out of park without a fob, a locked steering wheel is deemed not necessary. Maybe someone who owns a Prius can confirm the lack of steering wheel lock?

I've also read where steering wheel locks aren't necessary because of electric power steering. The claim is the system locks up when the car is turned off. That, however, is not the case with the Mirage. I can turn turn the steering back & forth all the way in both directions with car off & key removed. It just turns a bit harder with the car turned off (electric power steering also off). Once again I am thrilled about that. If the electric power system fails, you can still steer the car!

I don't think my driver's education car (2015 Impala) will shift out of park until the car is started (chipped key ignition) and foot is applied to the brake. Can Mirage CVT be shifted without a key or FAST-key? I ask, because I don't know?

I like my 5-speed manual without steering wheel lock. There are times when I drop the car in neutral, steer, & push it out of the way for something else in my driveway. I have always hated locked steering columns! I don't miss it on my Mirage!

You seem to feel steering wheel lock is extremely important. I like that Mirage doesn't have it.

I have never driven one, but I've heard the Toyota Prius may not have steering wheel locks. Since the vehicle can't be shifted out of park without a fob, a locked steering wheel is deemed not necessary. Maybe someone who owns a Prius can confirm the lack of steering wheel lock?

I've also read where steering wheel locks aren't necessary because of electric power steering. The claim is the system locks up when the car is turned off. That, however, is not the case with the Mirage. I can turn turn the steering back & forth all the way in both directions with car off & key removed. It just turns a bit harder with the car turned off (electric power steering also off). Once again I am thrilled about that. If the electric power system fails, you can still steer the car!

I don't think my driver's education car (2015 Impala) will shift out of park until the car is started (chipped key ignition) and foot is applied to the brake. Can Mirage CVT be shifted without a key or FAST-key? I ask, because I don't know?

I like my 5-speed manual without steering wheel lock. There are times when I drop the car in neutral, steer, & push it out of the way for something else in my driveway. I have always hated locked steering columns! I don't miss it on my Mirage!
    You have to push the brake to take a cvt Mirage out of park. A 1990 Taurus was the same way.
    But unlike a crappy 90's column shift ford you can also shift the Mirage out of park by removing a plastic cover on the shifter bezel and pushing down on a shifter bypass lever. The ignition key works well for this.

The gm recall was just another case of idiot proof idiots. The fix was to take the key and stick a plastic insert in the oval hole so you could only hook one key ring to it. There was a one in a million chance that stupid people with heavy key chains could have the ignition turned off when driving. Then they wouldn't have power steering or brakes and because they were stupid they'd crash. I

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mark the cvt mirage does have a shift lock preventing you from shifting out of park accidentally. But it is not a security feature, there is a slot with a small cover for you to bypass the shift lock when it breaks. Most automatic cars are like this. The Prius has this aswell you can google it. Otherwise how would you flat tow or steer with a dead battery.

Also, I don’t think any electronic power steering system locks without the actual column lock as they don’t want the steering wheel locking up if that power steering fuse fails.

The point of the steeeing lock is it’s very useful for desirable cars such as the cadalisc escalide which is regularly towed/push away and stolen.(just watch a YouTube video on this)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Mark the cvt mirage does have a shift lock preventing you from shifting out of park accidentally. But it is not a security feature, there is a slot with a small cover for you to bypass the shift lock when it breaks. Most automatic cars are like this. The Prius has this aswell you can google it. Otherwise how would you flat tow or steer with a dead battery.

Also, I don’t think any electronic power steering system locks without the actual column lock as they don’t want the steering wheel locking up if that power steering fuse fails.

The point of the steeeing lock is it’s very useful for desirable cars such as the cadalisc escalide which is regularly towed/push away and stolen.(just watch a YouTube video on this)
    You are confusing all this a bit for me at least.

If a car is in park & you don't have the keys or fob for it, can you shift the car into neutral?

If you left your car doors unlocked & took your keys with you, could someone hop in & take the car (Mirage CVT, Taurus, Prius, or whatever) out of park & move it?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You are confusing all this a bit for me at least.

If a car is in park & you don't have the keys or fob for it, can you shift the car into neutral?

If you left your car doors unlocked & took your keys with you, could someone hop in & take the car (Mirage CVT, Taurus, Prius, or whatever) out of park & move it?

Yes the car can be shifted out of park at any time without any keys or key fobs. This is a feature designed to allow the car to be shifted out of park incase the battery is dead and you want to pull the car away. But of course like you described this feature can be used for other things such as stealing a car by flat towing/pushing it away.

Heres a video showing you how to shift a CVT mirage into neutral without any keys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odErnyUJ57I

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

mirage EPS does not lock when turned off i think this is way more safe because as i can remember a trainor from hyundai tells me when hyundai first used this EPS they have a problem where the steering suddenly locks while driving when the motor heats up it will stuck unlike with the mirage it just turns to manual mode so you can still steer it, here old hyundai taxis they install a switch on the EPS so that in case of locking up they can turn it off to reset the system preventing lock up, mitsubishi prevented this safety issue by not having a EPS lock option, instead they just put steering lock, steering lock is important to me because i haven't seen a car with no steering lock yet this no steering lock is new to me i ddnt know that this is a thing until mohammad pointed it out.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    mirage EPS does not lock when turned off i think this is way more safe because as i can remember a trainor from hyundai tells me when hyundai first used this EPS they have a problem where the steering suddenly locks while driving when the motor heats up it will stuck unlike with the mirage it just turns to manual mode so you can still steer it, here old hyundai taxis they install a switch on the EPS so that in case of locking up they can turn it off to reset the system preventing lock up, mitsubishi prevented this safety issue by not having a EPS lock option, instead they just put steering lock, steering lock is important to me because i haven't seen a car with no steering lock yet this no steering lock is new to me i ddnt know that this is a thing until mohammad pointed it out.
    The lock is probably not integrated with the EPS system because mitsubishi probably only wants to make one EPS module for all cars in all markets. including mechanical key and markets with no steering column lock.

I can't imagine how cutting power to power steering would prevent it from locking up. What kind of stupid idiot lock design would unlock when power is lost. Maybe they cheaped out so hard that they used a solenoid instead of a linear actuator?

Allrock, you may also find it very interesting to know that base model mechanical key Hyundai and Kia vehicles up to and including 2021 model year dont come standard with an engine immobilizer. You have to pay extra to upgrade to a higher trim for an immobilizer key. https://www.thedrive.com/news/43454/...n-car-epidemic

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The lock is probably not integrated with the EPS system because mitsubishi probably only wants to make one EPS module for all cars in all markets. including mechanical key and markets with no steering column lock.

I can't imagine how cutting power to power steering would prevent it from locking up. What kind of stupid idiot lock design would unlock when power is lost. Maybe they cheaped out so hard that they used a solenoid instead of a linear actuator?

Allrock, you may also find it very interesting to know that base model mechanical key Hyundai and Kia vehicles up to and including 2021 model year dont come standard with an engine immobilizer. You have to pay extra to upgrade to a higher trim for an immobilizer key. https://www.thedrive.com/news/43454/...n-car-epidemic

yah the EPS is a different system while the ESL is included in the immobilizer system, you misinterpret the cutting of power, its the EPS motor whos stop working when overheated thats why steering is locking up not the steering lock they are doing this to reset the EPS ecu and make the motor work again to prevent locking up this is just made by some back yard mechanic but im surprise that an enginneer from hyundai knows about that ingenious modification, sad to say base model mirage here like mine also doesn't have a immobilizer actually my spare key is only a metal key, maybe thats the reason we have steering lock, ang the annoying panic alarm.