Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Wtf? Where the hell did that post go that I just replied to minutes ago? Guess I gotta start quoting all the time...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I notice zero difference between our 15' and 17's. They all seem equally slow yet reliable.
    Is it cooling down at all up there in Alberta?

It's starting to look like fall. I've got another quading trip planned this weekend at Nordegg. It's gonna be wet, snowy and cold. https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...lberta/nordegg

I just checked the weather for Atlanta. Wanna trade?? I'll take 30C right about now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's starting to look like fall. I've got another quading trip planned this weekend at Nordegg. It's gonna be wet, snowy and cold. https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...lberta/nordegg

I just checked the weather for Atlanta. Wanna trade?? I'll take 30C right about now.
    With our humidity? Your out of your mind lol. We dont have seasons here just blaring heat, and short mild winter with a ton of storms/tornadoes. I understand snow and ice is a pain though but your Canadian goddammit. You wash your balls with ice water, shoot maple syrup straight, and arm wrestle grizzles, snow aint sheeeeit to you I bet.

Country
    Germany
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Cable Ties

I am also bothered by the loud exhaust. I got under the car and yes the second suspension from the back has the most play. The rubber can slide about 15mm on the rod on the body back and forth. I've shortened this way with cable ties and the rattle of the exhaust has gotten better. Enclosed a picture of what I have done.Name:  20191204_101846.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  92.0 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Exclamation Same Problem. . .

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Hey all..
    My 17 Mirage CVT has slowly worked a new bit into it's repertoire. There is now a very distinct low note resonance/droning vibration that can be heard and felt through the seats and steering.
    In certain conditions.. while driving at any speed/w RPM between 1800 and 2100 while accelerating (as when cruise is adding power slowly) the rattle starts and will continue until engine load eases or rpm moves out of this zone.
    I've been to dealer and took service tech out for a drive but no resolution in the works. Dealer has fixated on the exhaust resonance issue which Mitsu is aware of while ignoring the vibration and rattle I'm concerned about.
    Oh well.. here we go again. 3 or 4 months of forcing dealer to properly diagnose and fix issue while I have to drive "the rattler" and put up with it.

SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger.
    I have had the same issue with my 2017. Always when the RPMs are around 2000,2300. I’ve gone to the dealer several times. They say all my exhaust hangers are fine and have been checked. My exhaust system has been checked over as well. They say that this is a characteristic of the car. Try to blame the engine size. I bought this car with 49,000km by 53,000 km this issue started. I’ve been putting up with it but it’s quite annoying when travelling around the city. I am quite conscience about my fuel economy so this rattle/gurgle happens in the sweet spot. I know the mirages are noisemakers at times but this rattle gets under my skin. I’m going to rent some hoist time come spring and get under there with my trusty mechanic. I find more often than not I solve issues better than a licensed Mitsubishi tech can, or it takes them several visits to diagnose an issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Why wait? Use your jack under your seat. Lift it up, reach under and give the hangers a wiggle. Don't have to crawl under.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-20-2020)

Attachment 17140Here's one I had on the hoist yesterday. Nobody complained about it this one. Putting zipties on the ends of the hanger isn't gonna do much. Especially when it's on the end that doesn't wear out. That guy may want to do some reading on this thread to find a better solution. But 178 posts is too much to go through so here:
    The mount on the Body side-Not the exhaust end wears out. Pull rubber mount from body mount and wrap tape, heat shrink, whatever to build it up a little then put rubber back on. Or buy a new rubber hanger. The one that seems to wear the most and be the #1 cause of the noise/resonance/vibration whatever.. is the second one from the rear near the fuel tank.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-20-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Insert fancy arrow pointing to big ass worn out hole

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Nerdling (02-26-2020),poorman1 (02-21-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdling View Post
    I have had the same issue with my 2017. Always when the RPMs are around 2000,2300. I’ve gone to the dealer several times. They say all my exhaust hangers are fine and have been checked. My exhaust system has been checked over as well. They say that this is a characteristic of the car. Try to blame the engine size. I bought this car with 49,000km by 53,000 km this issue started. I’ve been putting up with it but it’s quite annoying when travelling around the city. I am quite conscience about my fuel economy so this rattle/gurgle happens in the sweet spot. I know the mirages are noisemakers at times but this rattle gets under my skin. I’m going to rent some hoist time come spring and get under there with my trusty mechanic. I find more often than not I solve issues better than a licensed Mitsubishi tech can, or it takes them several visits to diagnose an issue.
    I finally found the issue. After reading through this thread I double checked all my exhaust hangers, brake lines under driver seat, heat shields. Turns out that their is two heat shields behind your front rotors. They were bent and hitting my rotors periodically. Hopefully this makes sense, I’m not great at explaining myself. With future fixes ill be sure to take pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerdling For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (02-27-2020),Eggman (02-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    That's great news. You gotta love cheap simple fixes.

Thanks for letting us know the solution.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)