Thread: WA State per mile tax versus gas tax

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

WA State per mile tax versus gas tax

So, I just found out I am part of WA States pilot program. The program is looking at multiple options to track mileage and ultimately pay a per mile tax versus the current gas tax. Many other States including CA & OR are also investigating.

Big driver is that cars are getting more fuel efficient, and the tax beast is nervous about getting fed.

The frustrating thing for us Mirage owners is that our impact to the road is treated as equivalent to a Ford F350. Weight is no longer a factor. Tax is set to be neutral for a car getting about 20MPG which means Mirage owners will likely pay 2X more.

I am happy to be part of the pilot to make sure WA State has a Mirage in the study.

Here is a link for those curious
    https://www.drivesync.com/waruc/

Thought I would share for all since it seems like this may become a popular way to tax in lots of areas.

EDIT:
    Couple other thoughts...

I think Insurance and Tech companies are pushing in the background because they want to piggyback on all the tracking info. As part of the pilot, my driving behavior will be tracked, and I am sure at some future point many players are pitching how to monitize all that data.
    Last edited by emdeplam; 02-15-2018 at 04:25 AM.