Thread: Nissan boss visits Thai factory where Mirage built; outlines alliance goals (May '17)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    What exactly do you see on a junk yard which makes you think Renaults are bad? I mean, as every car ends on a junk yard, the bare presence of a lot of Renaults only tells that it's a popular car.
    A lot of relatively young samples could tell that they die young, but it could also mean that they are mainly driven by people who make much kilometers, wearing out the car fast.
    I can imagine that a lot of rusty, young cars can tell that a Renault corrodes easily. If you were in the mood you could maybe check the kilometrage of every Renault you see, to get a feeling of their robustness. To be fair, you should have to check all other cars also, to have a reliable reference.

So what exactly did the junk yard tell?
    I visit various junk yards to get parts for a few very old cars of friends and family in order to keep them legal and running. What you say sounds logical, but look at the situation in junk yards and compare it with what you see on the road.
    What strikes me is seeing certain engines with holes in motor blocks, dismantled cylinder heads thrown aside after dismantling by a potential customer with valves in crater-like valve guides, younger model cars with their lower cavities or doors and floors rusted beyond recognition although the upper sections look normal, factory-unsealed cracks where two pieces of metal come together, etc. etc.. In short, all variations of modern-day junk that would not have been trashed if they were made anything like as you expect. I know why I will never consider certain brands or models. Enough said.
    Last edited by foama; 03-18-2018 at 04:34 PM.