Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver gas prices...highest ever in North America?!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    I put $5 in my car the other day. The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was nuts. I was on fumes and didn't feel like using my credit card.

I can remember plenty of times in the 80's getting less than $1 of gas. I know I pumped $0.15 or $0.20 at least once. Good thing there was some spare change in the ash tray (what's an ash tray?). Times were tight back then. I ran out of gas more times than I can remember.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I put $5 in my car the other day. The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was nuts. I was on fumes and didn't feel like using my credit card.

I can remember plenty of times in the 80's getting less than $1 of gas. I know I pumped $0.15 or $0.20 at least once. Good thing there was some spare change in the ash tray (what's an ash tray?). Times were tight back then. I ran out of gas more times than I can remember.
    I did the same thing in the 90's though. I may or may not have had a random stranger push my truck with theirs a few blocks to a gas station when I ran out at a red light...
    Another time I took my parents Taurus to the next town over for no apparent reason and burnt more fuel than I expected...We had no money, no cell phones, but found a few doll hairs in the fandangled coin holder to get us back home. I was likely skipping school at the time so couldn't call home and ask for help lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    At this rate of fuel price increases the Mirage may change from least stolen to most stolen vehicle!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

2of9 (03-07-2022),dspace9 (03-05-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ha ha I feel pretty smart driving around my Mirage these days.

Saves on the wallet.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-05-2022 at 10:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Speaking of Vancouver and running out of gas, my buddy and I drove up there from Washington State in 1998 or 1999 to get licenses for an upcoming ocean fishing trip in Canadian waters. We were in my '92 300ZX and thus drew a lot of attention from the border patrol. I guess we looked like drug dealers or something. Canadian Customs pulled us aside and tore EVERYTHING out of my car on the way up. Then they said, "Okay, looks like you guys are clean. You can go ahead and put your car back together now." US Customs let us right through on the way back.

This was in the pre-debit card days. Neither of us had a credit card. We both went up there with plenty of cash, but after a drunken night on Seymour Street in Vancouver we barely had enough money for the fishing licenses and had to dig through my ashtray for change to get us the last few miles home!

You'd be surprised how far a 300ZX would go on $1.87 back in the late 1990s! We sure were.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    At this rate of fuel price increases the Mirage may change from least stolen to most stolen vehicle!

In the American Midwest, our drug addicts have taken to stealing and selling catalytic converters to fund their habit. The low ground clearance of the Mirage is a natural deterence that says "move on to that SUV down the street", lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    In the American Midwest, our drug addicts have taken to stealing and selling catalytic converters to fund their habit. The low ground clearance of the Mirage is a natural deterence that says "move on to that SUV down the street", lol.
    A single cat the size of a football that's basically bolted to the firewall side of the engine block might deter them, too. I am sure they have tried...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The mirage actually has more ground clearance than a Toyota Corolla, i doubt thats a deterrence. Cobra jet is correct, the cat location is a wonderful deterrent in preventing cat theft. It also allows the Cat to heatup faster making it more efficient.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The mirage actually has more ground clearance than a Toyota Corolla, i doubt thats a deterrence. Cobra jet is correct, the cat location is a wonderful deterrent in preventing cat theft. It also allows the Cat to heatup faster making it more efficient.
    Well, I think it is, when a potential thief is just looking at vehicles and seeing which car they can fit under, regardless of the actual cat location.

"According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), vehicles that sit higher off the ground — or high-clearance vehicles — are common targets as they allow thieves easier access to converters. These types of vehicles include trucks, SUVs and vans, although buses and delivery vehicles are also at risk."Feb 15, 2022

One exception to this is that the Prius is specifically targeted due to not using the cat as much, so there are more precious metals remain viable to sell.

Well, I think it is, when a potential thief is just looking at vehicles and seeing which car they can fit under, regardless of the actual cat location.

"According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), vehicles that sit higher off the ground — or high-clearance vehicles — are common targets as they allow thieves easier access to converters. These types of vehicles include trucks, SUVs and vans, although buses and delivery vehicles are also at risk."Feb 15, 2022

One exception to this is that the Prius is specifically targeted due to not using the cat as much, so there are more precious metals remain viable to sell.
    Exactly. You cannot crawl under a Mirage thus this is a deterrent. It's not rocket appliances.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-08-2022)