Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive way to get an extra key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Inexpensive way to get an extra key?

I think the dealership charges like $150 to get an extra key for your Mirage. Does anyone know of a less expensive option?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

Batteries plus.com

Quote Originally Posted by tbird89 View Post
    I think the dealership charges like $150 to get an extra key for your Mirage. Does anyone know of a less expensive option?
    Batteries plus.com advertises that they cut & replace key fobs for less. Never had to have it done, but it may be worth a try. If it works, let us know.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    AFAIK the short answer to this is no. Definitely no cheap alternatives with F.A.S.T. “Keys”. Even the regular keys are chip embedded.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Batteries plus.com advertises that they cut & replace key fobs for less. Never had to have it done, but it may be worth a try. If it works, let us know.
    Hey Mark have you tried this, or do you know anyone who has had success with them? It would be nice if it worked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

No

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Mark have you tried this, or do you know anyone who has had success with them? It would be nice if it worked.
    I haven't had to replace a Mirage key, nor do I have any friends/relatives that own one. Most new cars have keys with chips. Places outside dealerships advertise they can cut & program a key.

If someone has used a place like the batteryplus, it would be nice to know it works. I am not trying to waste anyone's time.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    No idea about the FAST keys, but:

Here in Europe, a German manufacturer called SILCA makes suitable keys with chips. They sell through their authorized SILCA dealers, who also do the electronic programming of the 80bit code for the chips. Technically, the chips in our keys are similar to Mazda keys.

A "normal" looking key including the built-in chip cost me about €65.- including everything.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought one of these but I haven't tried to get it cut or programmed yet. In the next few weeks I'll see if Home Depot can cut it. I think I can program it since I have my 2 original keys still.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I think I can program it since I have my 2 original keys still.
    Is there a process for programming a new key to the car if you have other working keys or something?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Is there a process for programming a new key to the car if you have other working keys or something?
    A-yup. The procedure is described in section 5 of our 2015 Owner's Manual. Look for "Customer Key Programming."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Ok, after doing a little sleuthing the researched answer is "Yes". Mitsubishi uses a Philips Encrypted type 46 transponder chip in their immobilizer systems. Here is a site that sells the keys with the proper chip.

http://www.keynet.com/century-mitsub...17-pt-5912557/

You can program the extra key yourself without taking it to the dealer. Here are the instructions from Chapter 5 of the owner's manual:

To add a key, you must already have 2 registered keys. You need to register the ID code to the vehicle. Registering the ID code can be done by yourself(except for vehicles sold in Canada), or by your authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer. For you to register the ID code yourself, follow the “Customer key programming” procedure below. If you choose to have your authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer register the ID code, take your vehicle and all remaining keys to your authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer.

You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid (already registered) keys and blank immobilizer key (specially cut for your vehicle at your Mitsubishi Motors dealer) by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the key to the “ON” position for 5 seconds.

2. Turn the key to the “OFF” position and remove the first key.

3. Within 30 seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid key into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position.About 10 seconds later, the immobilizer indicator will start to blink.

4. When the immobilizer indicator starts blinking, turn the second valid key to the“OFF” position and remove it. Within 30 seconds after doing so, insert a blank immobilizer key into the ignition switch and turn it to the “ON” position. Perform this operation no more than 30 seconds after the immobilizer indicator starts blinking. When registration of the ID code is complete, the immobilizer indicator will come on for 3 seconds then go off. If an error occurs, the immobilizer indicator will go off during the procedure.

5. If you wish to register another key, performthe process again from step 1.

Additional keys NOTE-You are provided with 2 keys, but you may register up to 8 keys.

Customer key programming(Except for vehicles sold in Canada)

NOTE-When the key registration is completed, the immobilizer indicator will come on within 30 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the “ON” position with the blank immobilizer key (specially cut for your vehicle at your Mitsubishi Motors dealer).

NOTE-It is not possible to register a key if:

the immobilizer indicator goes off during the procedure

the immobilizer indicator does not come on within 30 seconds after step 4. The procedure will be terminated automatically if:

a period of 30 seconds or longer elapses from the moment when the first key is turned to the “OFF” position to the moment when the second key is turned to the “ON”position

a period of 30 seconds or longer elapses from the moment when the second key is turned to the “OFF” position to the moment when the blank immobilizer key is turned to the “ON” position

more than 20 seconds elapses after the immobilizer indicator starts blinking

Last edited by inuvik; 05-09-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Cleaned up formatting

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

bzacon (05-12-2018),Eggman (05-09-2018),foama (05-09-2018),Top_Fuel (05-09-2018)