Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 248

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

  1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    2014
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

    Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

    •  
    Details

    175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

    175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

    •  
    Comments: 247 / Views: 27269
  1. #231
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 439 Times in 341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    256,837 miles New tires are being installed today along with the TPMS sensors. When I get a chance, I will visit a Mitsubishi dealership with the new TMPS codes to have them programmed in the ECU.
    Steve - This may or may not interest you, but I remember Top_Fuel having some success having his TMPS codes reprogrammed by someone other than a dealership. Not sure you have that option, but it's encouraging to know more tire shops are doing a better job of dealing with this stuff. If a dealership is closer, you may want to go that route. Wasting one's time to find out they can't do the job would be frustrating, too.

    This is what Top_Fuel shared a few days ago -

    "FYI... I was in my local Discount Tire the other day having some new sensors installed (another experiment on my part...I didn't really need new sensors). Anyway, My local Discount Tire has a Bartec TPMS tool with the special Mitsubishi Adapter required to do TPMS sensor registration in a Mirage. They brought the tool out and it worked on my Mirage! Even better...they didn't charge me a dime because that's where I originally bought my tires. So at least some shops are catching up with the ability to handle late model Mitsubishi TPMS."



  2. #232
    Senior Member stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 147 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Steve - This may or may not interest you, but I remember Top_Fuel having some success having his TMPS codes reprogrammed by someone other than a dealership.
    I made several phone calls inquiring about TPMS reprogramming while waiting to get my new tires installed.

    Out of the three dealerships I called in Southeast Louisiana, two receptionists routed my calls to voicemail. The one service department I was able to reach said they could reprogram TPMS for one hour of labor at $105 plus tax. I left voice mails for the other two dealerships and have not heard back from them.

    I took Mark's advice and gave National Tire and Battery (formerly Tire Kingdom) a call. The tech who answered the phone was confident they could program TPMS codes into the ECM of a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. I mentioned that I have the codes and he said they didn't need them. He said they have a reader that gets the codes from the sensors and then programs those values into the computer. I talked with their receptionist who was confident they could do it as well and quoted me $55 for the service.

    I have my doubts that NTB can program TPMS on our cars but when I get a chance, I am going to drop by and see if it can be done. I have a feeling I will be wasting time, but there is only one way to find out.

  3. #233
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 439 Times in 341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I made several phone calls inquiring about TPMS reprogramming while waiting to get my new tires installed.

    Out of the three dealerships I called in Southeast Louisiana, two receptionists routed my calls to voicemail. The one service department I was able to reach said they could reprogram TPMS for one hour of labor at $105 plus tax. I left voice mails for the other two dealerships and have not heard back from them.

    I took Mark's advice and gave National Tire and Battery (formerly Tire Kingdom) a call. The tech who answered the phone was confident they could program TPMS codes into the ECM of a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. I mentioned that I have the codes and he said they didn't need them. He said they have a reader that gets the codes from the sensors and then programs those values into the computer. I talked with their receptionist who was confident they could do it as well and quoted me $55 for the service.

    I have my doubts that NTB can program TPMS on our cars but when I get a chance, I am going to drop by and see if it can be done. I have a feeling I will be wasting time, but there is only one way to find out.
    If someone inquires outside of the Mitsubishi dealerships, it may be worth asking if they have a Bartec TPMS tool with the special Mitsubishi Adapter to do a TPMS reprogramming on a Mirage. If they come back with something else they knows works, it would be great to know that, too.

    I sense you may be on a dead end, but it's always nice to have others explore options for the rest of us! The term "guinea pig" comes to mind. If it doesn't work, you have someone to blame!

    Even if you have to pay the $105, that's not a huge expense to get it all working again.

  4. #234
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,459
    Thanks
    2,014
    Thanked 908 Times in 653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Even if you have to pay the $105, that's not a huge expense to get it all working again.
    I’m gonna throw this into the mix: The reality for me anyways is not so much about $105.00 is that this whole problem is entirely unnecessary if Mitsubishi would have chosen to just use industry standard coding.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.6 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (07-11-2019)

  6. #235
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 439 Times in 341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Iím gonna throw this into the mix: The reality for me anyways is not so much about $105.00 is that this whole problem is entirely unnecessary if Mitsubishi would have chosen to just use industry standard coding.
    Cars should automatically read whatever 4 sensors are on the car without having to do anything.

    I don't see myself ever paying anyone to reprogram my Mirage. There are 4 codes already stored. If I can't clone a new sensor to the same existing code, I am going without. I am already doing that with snow tires. Some day I may clone some sensors for them, but I am not paying someone to program my car every time I switch wheels, nor am I buying an expensive tool to program my car myself.

    In Steve's case, he doesn't have a an original sensor or two. Thus, he is stuck reprogramming regardless. I agree it shouldn't be this hard. It's lame!

  7. #236
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    5,931
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Cars should automatically read whatever 4 sensors are on the car without having to do anything.
    Sensor registration helps your car ignore all other sensors within radio range.

    Think of it as IFF for cars.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.8 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.8 mpg (Imp)


  8. #237
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,142
    Thanks
    771
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sensor registration helps your car ignore all other sensors within radio range.

    Think of it as IFF for cars.
    Right. But some cars register sensors automatically without having to hook up to a $3,500 machine at the dealership. Hell, GM cars were automatically registering their own sensors 15 years ago.

    My Saab is an '04, and all you have to do when you replace a sensor is start the car. On some cars, it is a simple matter of turning the ignition to ON and pushing a sequence of buttons on the key fob.

    My guess...and it is just a guess...is that Mitsubishi did not want to pay royalties to whomever owns the rights to the TPMS tech most other manufacturers use, and thus developed their own proprietary system.

  9. #238
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 439 Times in 341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sensor registration helps your car ignore all other sensors within radio range.

    Think of it as IFF for cars.
    Once a car automatically reads its four sensors, the job is done. It doesn't care what else is out there. It only stores 4 codes & some may store 8 codes.

    This isn't even new technology, & all cars should be set up this way.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.

  10. #239
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    5,931
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I seriously don't get your comments sometimes? Once a car automatically reads its four sensors, the job is done.
    With the exception of the term 'automatic' that is exactly how the Mirage TPMS works. Some method of discerning my sensors from yours is needed, and registering a serial number is the easiest and most convenient way. Lots of electronic devices use serial numbers. It wouldn't work right if my TPMS read other sensors by registering them automatically, without intervention.

    Now don't get me wrong, I agree that the Mirage TPMS should be more user friendly. However, I don't expect a foreign car manufacturer to spend any more money or resources than necessary in order to bring these cars to the only market that mandates TPMS. In other words, I can't blame Mitsubishi. It is what it is. I am by no means saying it's perfect.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Cars should automatically read whatever 4 sensors are on the car without having to do anything.
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood you. Or maybe you didn't mean what you wrote? I don't know.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.8 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.8 mpg (Imp)


  11. #240
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 439 Times in 341 Posts
    TPMS has existed (1980's) long before it was mandated in the U.S.

    If you feel the Mirage's system is acceptable, that is good to know. Thanks for sharing that!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •