Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3320517
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    This is what caused me to sell my soul and get a Hyundai with a CVT. Attachment 23431
    I test drove a brand new KIA Soul in 2013. I like it, but the KIA Soul has never been known for having good fuel economy. It didn't check enough of the right boxes for me, but I still like the looks of them over most everything else these days.

The good warranty of Hyundai/KIA reduces the risk of making a bad purchase in my opinion. You'll know before you reach 100,000 miles how you feel about the car? If it's in the shop a lot for repairs, you can always dump it for something else. You may even miss your old Mirage & those lifetime free oil changes. If you find it to be a dependable car, you'll be thrilled to drive a car like that until the wheels fall off!

Proven power trains are not all that common any more. The auto market is really evolving. Thus, a good vehicle with a good warranty is not something to overlook in my opinion. I can see why you purchased your Elantra. Can't argue those numbers!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How does it do hand calculated though? I looked at 22' Elantra's on Fuelly and the only one's that are averaging over 40mpg are hybrids. The estimated mpg for the 6 speed version up here is only 25.8mpg city. I would hope that's not accurate in real life lol.
    I haven't bothered to check manually. From what I hear, these computer numbers can be off as much as 3 mpg due to things such as the density of the fuel changing during the day. That being said, even if I'm experiencing a 3 mpg drop over what the computer says, I am still a very happy camper.

I just don't know if I trust the car to give me 300k relatively incident free miles like the Mirage did. 300k miles before having transmission problems was a really good run.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Steve - I don't mean to poop on your parade. For me the issue is: I was a patented design engineer for Toyota. I loved that place, loved the guys, they insisted I didn't do work if it wasn't accomplishing anything useful. They'd rather me jaw about cars and drink beer in the office versus waste my time on useless work. So they focus on only useful work. And they are on the inside, exactly what they portray on the inside. And that's at the Japanese Corporate level. Once it transfer to US side sales, well, the US sales side sucks just as much as every other OEM US sales and service.

I left Toyota to join Hyundai (due to the wife's preferred living region), assuming it would be virtually the same. Boy was I shocked. As far as a people, South Korean people are warm, loving, dedicated, respectful people. I love 'em. As far as the Hyundai-Kia engineering mindset, they stink to HIGH HEAVEN.

Their corporate mission statement is: "We're going to see how Toyota did it, then we're going to try to do it the same way, without the bother of understanding the basis of WHY whatever it is we're copying has designed in that way. By "it" we mean everything. And, we're going to do a shi11y job copying it, and lie to each other about how well we're doing, all along the way."

Out of all the "work" I did at Hyundai-Kia, I would say less than 5% was even useful. And that was the case for most engineers, especially the American side. Their engineers are really only experts at powerpoint. They are an absolute joke compared to Toyota. And ... 2 things. 1) The only reason they're better than all European crap OEMs (excluding Porsche), is because, even though they do a lousy job copying Toyota, at least they're copying Toyota. If they were copying BMW, OMG they would cease to exist. 2) They stole a stylist (not sure what they call the position) from Volkswagen in the neighborhood of 10 years ago. Peter Von Something from my memory (assuming he is still there). He did a fantastic job to bring up the style of the cars.

Yet still, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still pig. The crap that the Korean engineers do KNOWINGLY against the law (regarding Free Trade Zone rules) and God knows what else, is appalling. I felt so worthless while I was there. But the feeling was so strong in that way because I had left Toyota, where EVERYTHING I did had value. Toyota didn't want us to spend much time creating powerpoint presentations. They wanted us to engineer. Yeah, slap some pictures on a ppt and talk to it, format be damned. But at Hyundai, all I and the Korean engineers did all day every day was work on stupid powerpoint presentations. And redo them half a dozen times because they weren't elegant enough for the suits. As soon as the powerpoint was looked at (if it ever was), it was into the trash and onto the next powerpoint. Ridiculous and worthless. I reached the level of Jedi-Master on powerpoint. My Korean manager was a Sith Lord, and my powerpoint was never good enough for him.

When I took my next position after Hyundai-Kia, I was shocked to realize that I had forgotten how to do work. I had to go to rehab in order to relearn how to do work again. Other people were there learning how to walk again. But when I was there, they'd say, "Ok 7milesout, do work, design something." And I'd open powerpoint, and they'd hit me with electrical shocks, until I learned to open SolidWorks and get out my calipers...

All this to say, I don't blame you for buying that Elantra. It's almost a Corolla. But there is a reason why an Elantra after say 5 years is worth $6,500, and the equivalent Corolla is worth $12k (just round numbers, not saying those are accurate). A 5 year / 60k mile powertrain warranty with Toyota is nearly worthless, because mostly it is not even needed. A 10 year / 100k mile power train warranty with Hyundai is extremely valuable.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Steve - I don't mean to poop on your parade. For me the issue is: I was a patented design engineer for Toyota. I loved that place, loved the guys, they insisted I didn't do work if it wasn't accomplishing anything useful. They'd rather me jaw about cars and drink beer in the office versus waste my time on useless work. So they focus on only useful work. And they are on the inside, exactly what they portray on the inside. And that's at the Japanese Corporate level. Once it transfer to US side sales, well, the US sales side sucks just as much as every other OEM US sales and service.

I left Toyota to join Hyundai (due to the wife's preferred living region), assuming it would be virtually the same. Boy was I shocked. As far as a people, South Korean people are warm, loving, dedicated, respectful people. I love 'em. As far as the Hyundai-Kia engineering mindset, they stink to HIGH HEAVEN.

Their corporate mission statement is: "We're going to see how Toyota did it, then we're going to try to do it the same way, without the bother of understanding the basis of WHY whatever it is we're copying has designed in that way. By "it" we mean everything. And, we're going to do a shi11y job copying it, and lie to each other about how well we're doing, all along the way."

Out of all the "work" I did at Hyundai-Kia, I would say less than 5% was even useful. And that was the case for most engineers, especially the American side. Their engineers are really only experts at powerpoint. They are an absolute joke compared to Toyota. And ... 2 things. 1) The only reason they're better than all European crap OEMs (excluding Porsche), is because, even though they do a lousy job copying Toyota, at least they're copying Toyota. If they were copying BMW, OMG they would cease to exist. 2) They stole a stylist (not sure what they call the position) from Volkswagen in the neighborhood of 10 years ago. Peter Von Something from my memory (assuming he is still there). He did a fantastic job to bring up the style of the cars.

Yet still, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still pig. The crap that the Korean engineers do KNOWINGLY against the law (regarding Free Trade Zone rules) and God knows what else, is appalling. I felt so worthless while I was there. But the feeling was so strong in that way because I had left Toyota, where EVERYTHING I did had value. Toyota didn't want us to spend much time creating powerpoint presentations. They wanted us to engineer. Yeah, slap some pictures on a ppt and talk to it, format be damned. But at Hyundai, all I and the Korean engineers did all day every day was work on stupid powerpoint presentations. And redo them half a dozen times because they weren't elegant enough for the suits. As soon as the powerpoint was looked at (if it ever was), it was into the trash and onto the next powerpoint. Ridiculous and worthless. I reached the level of Jedi-Master on powerpoint. My Korean manager was a Sith Lord, and my powerpoint was never good enough for him.

When I took my next position after Hyundai-Kia, I was shocked to realize that I had forgotten how to do work. I had to go to rehab in order to relearn how to do work again. Other people were there learning how to walk again. But when I was there, they'd say, "Ok 7milesout, do work, design something." And I'd open powerpoint, and they'd hit me with electrical shocks, until I learned to open SolidWorks and get out my calipers...

All this to say, I don't blame you for buying that Elantra. It's almost a Corolla. But there is a reason why an Elantra after say 5 years is worth $6,500, and the equivalent Corolla is worth $12k (just round numbers, not saying those are accurate). A 5 year / 60k mile powertrain warranty with Toyota is nearly worthless, because mostly it is not even needed. A 10 year / 100k mile power train warranty with Hyundai is extremely valuable.

7milesout
    No disagreements from me. I’ve been talking **** about Kia for the last 25 years. I’ve said it before, I doubt I will get 300k worry free miles out of this car but time will tell.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No disagreements from me. I’ve been talking **** about Kia for the last 25 years. I’ve said it before, I doubt I will get 300k worry free miles out of this car but time will tell.
    Changing topics - Where have you gone for your latest adventures?

We haven't heard from you as much after your dad sadly passed away. I hope life has been treating you great!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We haven't heard from you as much after your dad sadly passed away. I hope life has been treating you great!
    Sorry to hear that Steve. We must be about the same age. My dad passed away on 2/11/21.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Keep us posted how the Hyundai holds together.
    Shoot, I'm thinking of recording my maintenance on this site. I believe Hyundai does free oil changes at 7,500 mile intervals for something like 36,000 miles. I'm thinking of ditching that and doing my own oil changes every 5,000 miles. Car currently has 2,500 miles on it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Changing topics - Where have you gone for your latest adventures?

Life has been pretty good. Of course I miss dad, but have great memories so its all good. The Delorean got totaled last fall when I got hit by a delivery truck. I walked from the accident but am still in pain from it. The good news is the other driver was at fault and I was able to replace the car with a single owner Delorean, perfect condition with just 5,000 original miles.

The replacement Delorean ended up having an automatic transmission. I've said most of my life that I'd never own an automatic Delorean and low and behold, I came across one that was just too perfect to pass up. I threw out my beliefs for that car and here I am doing the same thing with the Hyundai.

Anyay, here is my list of recent travels.

50 Copenhagen, Denmark 12/12/2021 Layover

51 Vilnius, Lithuania 12/12/2021 to 12/13/2021

52 Republic of Užupis 12/13/2021 (Unrecognized Country)

53 Gudja, Malta 12/13/2021 to 12/17/2021

* Vilnius, Lithuania 12/17/2021 to 12/19/2021

54 Stockholm, Sweden 12/19/2021 to 12/20/2021

55 Bagdad, Iraq 3/07/2022 to 3/13/2022 (Honestly, I toured most of the country but I am to lazy to make an itemized list)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Shoot, I'm thinking of recording my maintenance on this site. I believe Hyundai does free oil changes at 7,500 mile intervals for something like 36,000 miles. I'm thinking of ditching that and doing my own oil changes every 5,000 miles. Car currently has 2,500 miles on it.
    36,000 miles / 7,500 mile oil changes = 4.8

Maybe you could make the arrangement where they would do the first 4-5 oil changes (@ 5,000 miles intervals for you)?

Not quite the same as the almost 60 free oil changes with the last car. 5,000 miles oil changes served you well with your Mirage. Since you rack up highway miles faster than most, 7,500 mile oil changes would probably be OK with synthetic oil. I prefer 5,000 mile oil changes myself, but my type of driving is different from your type. In my case, I wouldn't drive 130+ miles round trip (cost of gas & my time) for a free oil change @ a dealership.

If I lived near a dealership, I would take advantage of free oil changes.

Does a Hyundai have two maintenance schedules like the Mirage? If so, you may be able to convince them to change your oil more frequently.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Life has been pretty good. Of course I miss dad, but have great memories so its all good. The Delorean got totaled last fall when I got hit by a delivery truck. I walked from the accident but am still in pain from it. The good news is the other driver was at fault and I was able to replace the car with a single owner Delorean, perfect condition with just 5,000 original miles.

The replacement Delorean ended up having an automatic transmission. I've said most of my life that I'd never own an automatic Delorean and low and behold, I came across one that was just too perfect to pass up. I threw out my beliefs for that car and here I am doing the same thing with the Hyundai.

Anyay, here is my list of recent travels.

50 Copenhagen, Denmark 12/12/2021 Layover

51 Vilnius, Lithuania 12/12/2021 to 12/13/2021

52 Republic of Užupis 12/13/2021 (Unrecognized Country)

53 Gudja, Malta 12/13/2021 to 12/17/2021

* Vilnius, Lithuania 12/17/2021 to 12/19/2021

54 Stockholm, Sweden 12/19/2021 to 12/20/2021

55 Bagdad, Iraq 3/07/2022 to 3/13/2022 (Honestly, I toured most of the country but I am to lazy to make an itemized list)
    You pick interesting places to travel! Thanks for sharing all that!

Sorry to hear about the accident with your Delorean. Losing your car & getting all banged up is a bummer.

It sounds like you got a great replacement for it. I may have to give up on owning manuals some day, too. My hope is that I won't have to buy anything soon. I like window shopping for cars more than paying for them. Plus, I'd rather have a newer tractor than a car.

It would be interesting to see how the new Hyundai holds up compared to the old Mirage. I hope you continue to post stuff here.