Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: another one bites the dust

Sadly, the 2017+ cars got upgraded brakes from the factory over the '14 / '15 models: Bigger rotors/drums and revised friction material.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Also keep in mind that cars these days have an Event Data Recorder, including the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-24-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, ABS comes standard with all Mirage variants starting 2015. And ABS prevents tires from locking which should shorten your braking distance if you have a set of good performance tires, but will perform completely the opposite if you use it with not so good ones.

Doesn't matter if you have the best performance brake pads out there, as long as your tires can't cope up with the road grip the driver is demanding, ABS will just keep them rolling until the car halts to a full stop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Riiight. So, you're standing by the fact that you... a very worldly and experienced driver... DROVE INTO the car in front of you... and it was somehow somebody else's fault.

I'm still hoping that someone else can learn from this, even if you refuse to.
    If only he had 30 minutes to think about how to react to a situation, from his keyboard! Instead he had to react to it, in seconds, from behind the wheel.

I dislike tailgaters as much as anyone. But what's worse are those who, upon seeing an accident, immediately jump out and tell everyone what they should have done differently.

I love me some tailgaters. It's only a matter of time before one of them buys me a shiny new back bumper.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    If only he had 30 minutes to think about how to react to a situation, from his keyboard! Instead he had to react to it, in seconds, from behind the wheel.
    You might not realize it, but you've hit on the problem.

I don't need 30 minutes to think about how to react to any such situation. I DO need seconds. And that is what I give myself when I'm driving. Seconds. I follow at a distance of 3-4 seconds. Two seconds at an absolute minimum.

The typical driver follows at something a lot closer to a half-second. You'll see them cruising 70 mph on the interstate, 2-3 car lengths away from the car in front of them. (usually packs of them... just waiting for someone to nail the brakes for no apparent reason) That's about a half-second. It takes your brain a half to 3/4 of a second just to acknowledge that there is a problem, and another 3/4 second for your brain to send the signal to your foot and for your foot to move. The math is pretty simple. If you don't give yourself the time to react, the odds are against you.

Rather than going any further, I'm going to post this link again. Read it if you want to. Or don't.

http://pinellasdriving.com/following-distance/

(the original title of this article was "Are you a tailgater?")
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

foama (08-23-2018)

Is it time for a group hug?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Personally, I'm learning a lot in this thread. There's some topics that don't get enough coverage.

If done in a respectful manner, this discussion can have a positive outcome for everyone. Call me naive, but I want to believe that is a goal of everyone here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Personally, I'm learning a lot in this thread. There's some topics that don't get enough coverage.

If done in a respectful manner, this discussion can have a positive outcome for everyone. Call me naive, but I want to believe that is a goal of everyone here.
    You're naive

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great! This turn into the hippie thread! Since the braking idea come, I am wondering since I never did that big of a panic stop, would the stopping power of the master cylinder be enough for such occasions. Anyway the car was taken to copart, and the tow truck driver said that is a salvage yard and auction for wrecked cars. It was weird to me when then insurance set this up since past accident they will tell me to go to a shop of my choice to get an appraisal to get it fixed! Thank god I have GAP on it!

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)