Thread: How much to replace a CVT?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How much to replace a CVT?

I'm hoping I don't need to but if you had to replace a CVT, how much would it cost? I'm assuming the best route would be a used CVT vs rebuilt or new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New will cost you something close to $4k. Used... the supply is greater than the demand, you can probably get one for $2-300.

http://car-part.com
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (08-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Geez...looks like these things are getting more expensive. List price...$6700!?!

This is what a dealer would sell one for...

Name:  ddd.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  37.6 KB

That's insane. If you need one...get it used like Loren is suggesting. There are plenty of low-mileage totaled CVT Mirages in recycling yards around the country.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What about installation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Changing the transmission would take a weekend to do by yourself. New fluid, seals and run with it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    What about installation?
    If you aren't doing the work yourself, you can check with some independent shops around your town. They would be used to doing this kind of work. Expect them to charge you at least $400-$500 to install it.

Did you get your Mirage used? If not, it should be covered by the 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-15-2018)

Try car-part.com and hopefully find one close to you. Most wreckers around here offer installation at a decent price. Or just find an independent shop or transmission place to do the install.
    I learned that it's sometimes better to just pay someone to do things I've never done before or will do a half assed job of it. Like taping drywall, and laying carpet. But if you are mechanically inclined at all you could do it in a weekend or so on the ground. Having access to a hoist and air tools makes the job much faster and easier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (08-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you aren't doing the work yourself, you can check with some independent shops around your town. They would be used to doing this kind of work. Expect them to charge you at least $400-$500 to install it.

Did you get your Mirage used? If not, it should be covered by the 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty, right?
    I'm taking it to the dealer in a couple days. The problem is that the issue is very intermittent. Plus my warranty is going to end pretty soon.