Thread: Mirage and a Ranger/Babco QuickJack

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mirage and a Ranger/Babco QuickJack

I'm going for a test drive tomorrow, might make a decision, we'll see.

Has anyone tried to lift a Mirage using the Ranger/Babco Quick Jack ? I've got a BL-7000SLX that I used with my Wrangler for maintenance. I'm not sure about it fitting between the wheelbase of the Mirage. Wheelbase on the Mirage is actually a bit longer than the 2-door Wrangler so it should work. The lift manufacturer says you can also use it sideways across the width of the vehicle rather than along the length so there's always that possibility too. Example lengthwise:

2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-17-2018),Fummins (08-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I love how so many Mirage owners also own Jeeps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

How do you like that lift? Any pro's and con's other than it doesn't lift very high? I'm going to be looking for something like that for doing side jobs at home til I can afford to get my garage floor redone and have a 2 post set up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's ok, but the individual frames/rails are really heavy. Around 90lbs each, which is a lot for a weakling like me. The 5K and 3.5K lifts have lighter individual frames. For doing brakes and tire swaps concurrently it's useful; fall tire swap I grease the slider pins at the same time. If I'm just doing the spring seasonal tire swaps I prefer the floor jack.

Each frame has an air cylinder which provides the "push" to lower the rails after they've been raised. As such, you have to remember to check the air pressure in the cylinders before lifting. I forgot one time, the frames didn't lower, and I honestly forget how I managed to get them lowered again.

Other than that there's not much to it. I think with the early runs people had problems with the no-leak fittings leaking, I didn't. Delivery was fine, it arrived on a skid and the delivery person dropped it off in front of my garage door so I could disassemble it and move it into the garage as I went. Assembly was simple.

I would prefer to have a proper 2 or 4 post lift, but with a 17'6" wide by 20' deep garage there's not much room for one, while keeping the ability to park two cars in it.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    Has anyone tried to lift a Mirage using the Ranger/Babco Quick Jack ?
    I'm not sure about it fitting between the wheelbase of the Mirage.
    I just went out and measured my car...and here is the distance between the tires where your Quick Jack would need to fit...

Name:  distance.JPG
Views: 808
Size:  49.5 KB

And here is the length of your Quick Jack in the down position...

Name:  quickjack.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  22.5 KB

It looks like it will definitely slide under the side of the car...but do you think the lifting points will be OK when it starts up? I bet it will work...but you may not know for sure until you try it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-12-2018),MetroMPG (09-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    ...I would prefer to have a proper 2 or 4 post lift, but with a 17'6" wide by 20' deep garage there's not much room for one, while keeping the ability to park two cars in it.
    A 2-post lift would be awesome...something like the Max Jax has great reviews and a low price. But this won't do me any good. My garage ceiling is too low. I think I might be able to get a car 36" in the air with a 2-post lift. Still not high enough to stand under. The Max Jax is "portable"...but each tower weighs 300 lbs and has to be bolted to the floor. That's too much overhead for me.

I was really close to getting a Quick-Jack...which I think is by far the best bang-for-the buck in small lifts. They didn't have a 7,000 lb version like yours when I was looking a few years ago...that's impressive!

I have a portable lift that's not quite as popular called the EZ Carlift. It's a purely mechanical lift...there are no hydraulics involved. It's basically 4 scissors jacks that can be raised/lowered from a single gear drive. A powerful cordless drill can do it. It will go to a height of 26". Here's my Mirage on it...I only have it about 18" high at this point.

Name:  EZ_1.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  EZ_2.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  EZ_3.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  EZ_4.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  EZ_5.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  86.1 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-20-2018 at 11:52 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-09-2018),Fummins (08-30-2018),MetroMPG (09-14-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fummins, just saw this on garagejournal.com, not quote a 2/4 post lift but looks good:
    https://www.autostacker.com/
    2018 Mirage

12. The Following User Says Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-13-2018)

@ topfuel, I've seen pics of Porsche owners using the quickjacks spun sideways without issues. Should be able to lift most cars that way if need be.

@Craig I actually came across the same lift this week. It wouldn't do what I want though.

I just want to lift a car about 4' in the air so the drivetrain can fall out the bottom. Or high enough to pull a transmission from a truck without laying on the floor. I've seen lots of camaro owners with their cars up high by putting jack stands extended sitting on top of a stack of wood. No mullet in the world would help if the thing falls on their head. So I'm kinda thinking of giving up on the grown up hoist and look into a scissor lift. They'd take up less room and shouldn't need to pour a thicker slab to support one. But they're not cheap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got the 5000 that I use for my miata. The padded areas of lift don't exactly line up on the miata but the pinch seams seem ok. I've had it on there multiple time with no adverse effect. It was on it extended periods when I did a clutch change.

Haven't checked the length vs the Mirage I just got last week but I suspect it will be ok. Like the miata I don't think the jack points will line up perfectly though.

Can't do it yet though, middle of winter here in Iowa and I don't have a garage atm.
    Love the quickjack though, sure pays for itself real quick.