Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,738 Times in 2,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    In 5 years? What do you do with your tires?
    I don't get your question really. If I need tires, I buy them. What do you do?

I use up every tire I buy to the very end of their life! Given the circumstances, I have bought most tires in pairs.

October 2017 - bought my new Mirage.

December 2017 - bought an extra pair of steel rims & a pair Nokian Nordman 7 tires ($80/tire @ tires-easy.com). I don't get home without snow tires some days. Even with brand new snow tires, I didn't make it up my winter ridge road one night. I had to leave my car in a neighbor's driveway & get it the next day.

June 2018 - bought a pair of Federal SS657 tires ($40/tire @ simpletire.com). One of my factory Dunlop Enasave tires failed (sidewall blow out). I bought a pair so they would match on each axle & continued to use the other two factory Dunlop tires. Federal tires did summer & rear axle winter duty for a few years.

Sometime around 2020 - bought someNexen N'Priz AH5 tires ($50/tire @ tires-easy) - I had picked up another pair of steel rims from Dirk. As my Federal & Dunlop tires were starting to wear down during the summer months, I wanted something newer to compliment my snow tires during the winter months. The Nokain & Nexen became my winter tires, and the Federal/Dunlop remained my summer tires.

Summer 2021 - bought a pair of Kumho Solus TA31 to replaced the worn out Federal tires (got approximately 40,000-45,000 miles out of them, which isn't bad for a $40 tire / one third the cost of the Dunlop at the time).

I have 76,000+ miles on my 2017 Mirage. I have 8 steel rims (winter/summer sets) for my Mirage.

Factory Dunlop Enasave pair - are worn completely out & still on the factory rims
    Federal SS657 pair - were used up & replaced by the Kumho Solus TA31 (used last summer & this winter)
    Nokian Nordman 7 pair - completing their 6th winter seasons.
    Kumho Solus TA31 pair did rear axle duty this past winter, & will be used this coming summer.
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 pair - they did summer & winter duty the previous two years, & they will be used this coming summer.

My goal is to have newer threads for the winter months & use up older tires during the summer months. I feel that is the best use of my tires. I value traction where I live for the winter months. Things like LRR are secondary to me. We also don't have many 165/65r14 tires choices in the States. I buy tires when I see a good deal.

I am not going to buy a set of tires & use them year round until they wear out where I live. I've been climbing winter ridge roads (that don't get much sun) since 1994. Skinny tires that are somewhat new are best! Buying tires in pairs allows me to keep new tires up front. I've been doing that for almost 30 years now.

Summer 2023 - Kumho* & Nexen* pairs will have summer duty.

Winter 2023-24 - I hope to replace my worn out factory Dunlop Enasave* tires with a new pair of Vredestein Quatrac 5 ($68.07/tire @ tirerack.com), & I will shift my Nokian Nordman 7* snow tires to rear axle duty for the next few winters.

* current 4 brands/pairs I have on steel rims.

This is where I am (76,000+ miles) with tires. Dunlop Enasave & Federal SS57 tires have been used up. Everything else is still being used.

If that seems odd to some, so be it I guess?
    Last edited by Mark; 03-24-2023 at 04:51 PM.