Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: ✚ EASY CVT Transmission Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What km interval do you suggest for CVT filter changes? Could you get away with just doing the auxiliary side paper filter?
    I dunno. I'd do fluid changes at 50k km/30k miles. Maybe drop the oil pan and get more fluid out once in a while too. For the filters, it's not gonna hurt anything if you change them both at the same time. If you're only gonna change one I'd probably make it the cartridge one. But if you're gonna drop the oil pan anyways, the other filter is right there and the prices are coming down on these things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-05-2022),Ylmir (06-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like the idea of pumping about an equal amount of fluid from the CVT from the top, compared to having to get under the car. It seems this excellent idea can be improved upon by employing a reasonably priced fuel pump capable of pumping the oil out and taking this idea to a new level. I have a small pump with very small hose for pumping old fuel out of tanks.
    I plan to pump as much oil out, then on through an oil filter into a five quart oil container about once a week for about 4 weeks, and putting the filtered oil back in the transmission each time, and then pump it out again replacing the oil with new oil. I think doing this every year will be the most reasonably way I can keep the transmission full of clean oil. I would like to know if the Mitisubishi oil is really the best, and if not, what is the best for my LITTLE BLUE PEANUT 2017 Hatchback.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LITTLE BLUE PEANUT View Post
    I like the idea of pumping about an equal amount of fluid from the CVT from the top, compared to having to get under the car. It seems this excellent idea can be improved upon by employing a reasonably priced fuel pump capable of pumping the oil out and taking this idea to a new level. I have a small pump with very small hose for pumping old fuel out of tanks.
    I plan to pump as much oil out, then on through an oil filter into a five quart oil container about once a week for about 4 weeks, and putting the filtered oil back in the transmission each time, and then pump it out again replacing the oil with new oil. I think doing this every year will be the most reasonably way I can keep the transmission full of clean oil. I would like to know if the Mitisubishi oil is really the best, and if not, what is the best for my LITTLE BLUE PEANUT 2017 Hatchback.
    My guy,

Welcome to the forum,

The transmission already has a paper filter, its unlikely your filtration system will do any better than the paper filter the car already has. The fluid comes out dark black and is purchased new as translucent looking green color. You obviously need to replace the fluid with new fluid and not your "filtered" fluid. Ive only used mitsubishi OEM cvt fluid, im sure there are alternatives if you are on a budget. Im also sure nothing will be "better" than the OEM fluid. The OEM fluid is designed to at least get you through the 10 year warranty period im sure alot of thought is put into its quality.

Other things you could do to help the transmission would be to clean and "upgrade" the pan magnets that catch the fine metallic particles in the fluid. You could also maybe change the filters.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    My guy,

Welcome to the forum,

The transmission already has a paper filter, its unlikely your filtration system will do any better than the paper filter the car already has. The fluid comes out dark black and is purchased new as translucent looking green color. You obviously need to replace the fluid with new fluid and not your "filtered" fluid. Ive only used mitsubishi OEM cvt fluid, im sure there are alternatives if you are on a budget. Im also sure nothing will be "better" than the OEM fluid. The OEM fluid is designed to at least get you through the 10 year warranty period im sure alot of thought is put into its quality.

Other things you could do to help the transmission would be to clean and "upgrade" the pan magnets that catch the fine metallic particles in the fluid. You could also maybe change the filters.
    You are on the right track with the pan magnets and changing the filters, and I have some rare earth magnet that will do that well. I will take your advice, but still think removing, filtering and returning the oil about four times, with a hundred or more miles in between each would clean the oil even more, so that when I pump out all I can, almost 3 quarts and add back the same amount of new oil, I will be adding it to some pretty clean oil. I borrowed the idea of pumping the oil out, instead of draining out about the same amount. I have just added using a 12 VDC pump, cleaning the oil a bit more before adding the new oil to the old. Then, I'm borrowing again using your advice to replace the filters and refreshing the magnets. Thanks for the solid advice. Thad

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You are on the right track with the pan magnets and changing the filters, and I have some rare earth magnet that will do that well. I will take your advice, but still think removing, filtering and returning the oil about four times, with a hundred or more miles in between each would clean the oil even more, so that when I pump out all I can, almost 3 quarts and add back the same amount of new oil, I will be adding it to some pretty clean oil. I borrowed the idea of pumping the oil out, instead of draining out about the same amount. I have just added using a 12 VDC pump, cleaning the oil a bit more before adding the new oil to the old. Then, I'm borrowing again using your advice to replace the filters and refreshing the magnets. Thanks for the solid advice. Thad
    You can also maybe consider installing the nissan cvt cooler found here this will give you 2 external CVT fluid lines that you could add a cooler and maybe even a filter to, that way you can use your sophisticated high quality technologically advanced filter all the time without ever having to pump any fluid out of the transmission.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    heres a product that will do exactly what you want, https://maktrans.net/zaptchasti-akpp...015e/FK-JF015E

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    mohammad, I'll pass on the Nissan cooler, but I sure like the remote CVT oil cooler. I think I will do it. It will provide additional cooling on the long stretches of highway I drove on mostly in SW Arizona, and if room I can use clamp on fins that will cool even more. I thank you for giving me the source for purcasing this kit, and I am surprised to find the kit including a machined side plate for only $72.00. They also have both OEM type filters and a new gasket for $13.87. It really gets hot where the tall saguaro Cacti grow, and I understand these long highway trips are what really heats up the CVT's, and this will be my insurance, Thanks, sir! Some years back, in fact a lot of years back, I helped a master mechanic build race engines. Later I was a Chevrolet service advisor and then a VW service advisor. I have worked on things mechanical and electrical almost my entire 80 years and I can tell by the things you say that you have in depth knowledge of mechanics and Mitsubishi vehicles. I will try to learn from you. One more time, Thanks!!! Thad (Little Blue Peanut)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    mohammad, I'll pass on the Nissan cooler, but I sure like the remote CVT oil cooler. I think I will do it. It will provide additional cooling on the long stretches of highway I drove on mostly in SW Arizona, and if room I can use clamp on fins that will cool even more. I thank you for giving me the source for purcasing this kit, and I am surprised to find the kit including a machined side plate for only $72.00. They also have both OEM type filters and a new gasket for $13.87. It really gets hot where the tall saguaro Cacti grow, and I understand these long highway trips are what really heats up the CVT's, and this will be my insurance, Thanks, sir! Some years back, in fact a lot of years back, I helped a master mechanic build race engines. Later I was a Chevrolet service advisor and then a VW service advisor. I have worked on things mechanical and electrical almost my entire 80 years and I can tell by the things you say that you have in depth knowledge of mechanics and Mitsubishi vehicles. I will try to learn from you. One more time, Thanks!!! Thad (Little Blue Peanut)
    I think that's a great idea. These JATCO's CVT's hate the heat and the Mirage's passive sandwich stack cooler is probably mostly useless.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    inuvik, This is my first Mitsubishi since my colt a hundred years ago. My first Mirage, and i have never looked under it. I'm wondering if there is a nive place to tuck an external oil filter where there is little danger of it getting hit with a rock or ??? and making a hole in it? I hope so, and i hope there is enough room for the cooling fins around it. Some of you high tech guys might know, but it seems sanding the paint of the filters before enclosing them with cooling fins might increase efficiency. What do you think? Little Blue Peanut

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    inuvik, This is my first Mitsubishi since my colt a hundred years ago. My first Mirage, and i have never looked under it. I'm wondering if there is a nive place to tuck an external oil filter where there is little danger of it getting hit with a rock or ??? and making a hole in it? I hope so, and i hope there is enough room for the cooling fins around it. Some of you high tech guys might know, but it seems sanding the paint of the filters before enclosing them with cooling fins might increase efficiency. What do you think? Little Blue Peanut
    You want to put cooling fins on the oil filter instead of just plumbing a filter inline with a normal oil cooler you can buy on Amazon? Seems kinda wack to me.

Either way the safest way to mount a filter and still get airflow would be just like the engine oil filter mount it behind the radiator.

I personally think the paper filter already in the cvt is satisfactory and additional filter action doesn’t do much. Remember most very fine low micron oil filters will go into bypass mode when You really give it the gas.

Also you may want to remember that the cooler that’s on the car right now also acts as a transmission warmer, the cold engine has limited power output and thicker cvt fluid is obviously not good for the pump and fuel economy.