Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.5 l/100km minimum at new car! (Solved: AC load)

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks

Question 7.5 l/100km minimum at new car! (Solved: AC load)

Hey guys! 1 month ago I buy new one Mirage from dealership. Now have millage about 2000 km. It's GLX manual. Love this car but he eating too much gas! In the city (ok, sometime it's traffic here) i have minimum 7.5 liters per 100 km! As example, before buy this car, I had one Chevrolet Tracker 2007 (2L, Automatic) and only about 9 liters in the city! It's incredible! At highway i have about 5 liters now... So I'm engineer n i know, new car can spend a little bit more gas than after few thousand kilometers, but i think, 7.5-8.5 l/100km it's too much for this car, no? What do u thing?

Sorry, cant find similar thread...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hexkey View Post
    Hey guys! 1 month ago I buy new one Mirage from dealership. Now have millage about 2000 km. It's GLX manual. Love this car but he eating too much gas! In the city (ok, sometime it's traffic here) i have minimum 7.5 liters per 100 km! As example, before buy this car, I had one Chevrolet Tracker 2007 (2L, Automatic) and only about 9 liters in the city! It's incredible! At highway i have about 5 liters now... So I'm engineer n i know, new car can spend a little bit more gas than after few thousand kilometers, but i think, 7.5-8.5 l/100km it's too much for this car, no? What do u thing?

Hello hexkey and welcome to the forum.

I agree, 7.5-8.5L/100km seems excessive. Our forum Fuel Economy Log shows an average of 5.5L/100km of those who track their fuel consumption here.

Most Mirages will improve in fuel economy with use as the drivetrain breaks in and loosens some. Other factors in fuel economy include:
    1. Tire pressure - consider increasing the air pressure in your tires to what you are comfortable with.
    2. Cold operation - short trips around town that don't allow the engine to reach full operating temperature have a big impact on fuel consumption. An internal combustion engine is most efficient when fully warmed.
    3. Driving habits - Gentle acceleration and moderate traveling speeds always use less fuel than hard starts and fast driving.

Mitsubishi Motors Mexico - 2018 Mirage
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-07-2018 at 09:01 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Converting 7.5 liters per 100 km to US measurements...

2 gallons / 62 miles = 31 mpg

My initial thought...

If you are driving in congested city traffic with the air conditioner on, 31mpg may not be unusual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you are driving in congested city traffic with the air conditioner on, 31mpg may not be unusual.
    I tend to agree with that.

We really need to know more about the driving environment and driving habits to be able to say whether it's in line with how it's being used.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hexkey View Post

I agree with previous posts that in heavy traffic with constant AC usage that's not really that abnormal. But for clarification, are you calculating economy based upon odometer readings and a full tank to full tank? Or are you using what the display states is your fuel consumption? The fuel economy reading on the "A" setting resets itself to zero after approximately 4 hours of not running the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    So, about additional information... Refueling tracker application at my phone showing me 13.097 km/l...
    Our weather is about +30C all time, so i using AC. Last time i driving in super eco style, trying to not out from 2500 RPM 90% of driving time...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Converting 7.5 liters per 100 km to US measurements...

2 gallons / 62 miles = 31 mpg

My initial thought...

Yeah, ok, but i had very similar MPG in same weather, same routes, same gas, same AC and similar driving style at car with 2L engine and 4-gears automatic + hydraulic assistance system... 11 years old car...

I think it's unusual, if another people have 20+ km/l but i have 13 only. I havent rly strong traffic, waiting at traffic lighters only.

So can i have this numbers because the car is new? After 5-6k km and first oil changing will it drops?

That does seem a bit high. I've never tracked real life economy number but checked and reset the trip "B" on a bunch of the fleet. The worst I've seen was 6.6l/100km-35.6mpg (was not driven nicely). That was from a 2017 with 24k kms in the middle of winter with snow tires.

Do you have 15" wheels? I just found this thread. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-with-poor-mpg

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That does seem a bit high. I've never tracked real life economy number but checked and reset the trip "B" on a bunch of the fleet. The worst I've seen was 6.6l/100km-35.6mpg (was not driven nicely). That was from a 2017 with 24k kms in the middle of winter with snow tires.

Do you have 15" wheels? I just found this thread. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-with-poor-mpg
    14" wheels. Using gas with 92... What do u thing guys, may be i've to use 87 gas n it will give me better result? Manual for my car allow to use 87. In my old car i used 87 gas only.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In my Mirage, for me to get 7l/100 on anything other than a trip across the street, I have to be... well, let's rephrase this.

The last time I started the car, let it idle in the driveway, then drove about 60km on a mix of city and highway, racing and rabbiting in the city, and holding 4700rpm on the highway, I turned back 7.3l/100.

When I take the car down to the city driving normally (brief idle, 5 minutes city, 40 minutes highway) I return about 5.4l/100.
    When I hypermile the same drive, I can do 4.4l/100.

However despite my average of about 4.9/100, my wifes short trips to and from work everyday have the cars lifetime at 6.2, and her commute averages 23l/100, it's so short and takes so long to defog the car idling.

TL;DR. I've never heard of somebody returning anything over 8l/100 on the most abysmal commutes, but those commutes ARE AC ON STOP AND GO. If that's what you are doing, that's what it will get.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    So, problem solved... I just turn off my AC and fuel usage drops from 7.5-8.5 l/100km to 5-5.5 l/100km. Damn it, why AC using too much energy?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hexkey For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-13-2018),MetroMPG (11-13-2018),Top_Fuel (11-13-2018)