Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Battery Project

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity...8AAOSwnUlakKO9

Perfect replacement. It can be mounted sideways too so if you did a customer air intake it could lay over the top of the battery area on the right hand side of the engine bay. Or the drivers side whichever you prefer to call it.
    Be prepared to be called out on the rh side being the drivers side. Unless you have a rh drive car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Be prepared to be called out on the rh side being the drivers side. Unless you have a rh drive car.
    When you're look at the engine doing work the drivers side is the right hand. I know that the drivers side is the actual LHD. I sell car parts for a living. But you're right its just me causing pointless confusion for no reason.
    Last edited by Clessy; 12-01-2020 at 05:17 PM.

I don't want to make Loren upset anymore than he probably is lol Carry on.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Anyone try out a capacitor based starting system? Aren't those very light?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked into supercaps recently. Interesting new tech. Probably a topic for a new thread, as my project was installing a small standard motorcycle battery.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you still satisfied with the motorcycle battery?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Are you still satisfied with the motorcycle battery?
    It would be nice to see Loren answer your question. Loren hasn't posted anything on the forum for over a year now. He may have sold his Mirage, but that is purely speculation on my part.

I hate motorcycle batteries, but fitting a car battery on a motorcycle isn't an easy task!

I believe he installed the motorcycle battery just to shed a few pounds for autocrossing. The only advance to a motorcycle battery compared to a car battery is they're lighter otherwise, everything about them is a downgrade. For a daily driver, it'd be pointless to do this to your car.

I replaced the motorcycle battery in my old RZR with a much larger 27 group battery. I added a second conventional battery to my Kawasaki side by side because I winch a lot. Motorcycle batteries don't last very long unless babied. Even then they usually don't last more than a few years. At least that's my experience with them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I believe he installed the motorcycle battery just to shed a few pounds for autocrossing. The only advance to a motorcycle battery compared to a car battery is they're lighter otherwise, everything about them is a downgrade. For a daily driver, it'd be pointless to do this to your car.

I replaced the motorcycle battery in my old RZR with a much larger 27 group battery. I added a second conventional battery to my Kawasaki side by side because I winch a lot. Motorcycle batteries don't last very long unless babied. Even then they usually don't last more than a few years. At least that's my experience with them.
    That's my knock on motorcycle batteries - they don't last very long. Plus, they can be a bit expensive for what you get. You can still pick up a riding lawn mower battery for $25, and they tend to last longer than a motorcycle battery.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...4?athbdg=L1600

Although I don't currently have a motorcycle, I still have 2 ATVs and 1 UTV that uses those annoying small batteries.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...attery-(Large)

I did the exact opposite as Loren, modified the Mirage to accept a LARGER battery than the stock one. And so far, so good.....has been running flawlessly and I expect at least 5 years of service because since it has a greater capacity......it will degrade slower than a tiny battery would. The same way that Al Sharpton would starve to death on a deserted island slower than Nancy Pelosi would.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)