Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compressed air supercharging

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Considering we have people removing speakers and car batteries to save weight, I’d say an increase of 35 lbs in weight is very unreasonable.
    You just can't let anything go, can you, Steve? Personally, I'm tired of your "input", and thinking seriously about just blocking you.
    I think Steve makes a good point, and so do you Loren.

Everyone's going to be okay. Let's lighten up and get back on topic.

Last edited by Eggman; 12-24-2018 at 11:16 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (12-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    The PCP air gun world has lots of different tanks and different sized compressors.
    I had to look up PCP air guns.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I had to look up PCP air guns.
    Yeah they are very powerful. I've been into air guns for close to 30 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Yeah they are very powerful. I've been into air guns for close to 30 years.
    That's crazy. It reminds me of pump-up air rifles from my youth.

What PCP gear would you see in use here? Compressor, tank, any hoses, regulators?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most PCP air rifles are unregulated. Even those that are regulated are not regulated to the low values that you are talking about. Air is "regulated" more by the air valve and "springing" of it to control "shot size"
    To achieve a consistent low pressure feed I would almost want a double regulator set up. This would give you a more stable output over the very high to very low pressure swing of your tank as it empties. Between the primary and secondary regulators is a great place to put a pressure transducer wired to " kick you out" just before you hit your low air level.

Personally I'm not interested in trying this on my mirage....
    She is fine the way she is.... well so far...
    My modded toys are all 2 wheeled..
    Both small and larger displacement than my mirage..
    But I'm more than willing to try to help guys who wish to.
    I know I have gleaned knowledge off others on useful sights like this many times before

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's crazy. It reminds me of pump-up air rifles from my youth.

What PCP gear would you see in use here? Compressor, tank, any hoses, regulators?
    Yeah most people got their start with a pump daisy, crosman or Benjamin. Or even further back, a red Ryder which was my first. So old and slow (hand me down) that I could see the BB easily every shot.

I stuck to spring piston guns. I have a couple really nice springers. One break barrel and one side lever.

PCP guns are beasts but require too much stuff to use and lug around. For me at least.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another very related classic dumb internet idea: The leaf blower supercharger.

It's an idea that works, but generally not efficiently enough to make it worthwhile.

Of course, most of the people who have tried it were trying to improve a much larger engine than the Mirage 1.2 liter. And they were trying to do it with one or more gas powered leaf blowers.

So, we're talking about a 1.2 liter engine that might flow 140-150 cfm at WOT and 6500 rpm.

And this is 2018, so electric leaf blowers are a thing. Electric leaf blowers that put out more than 350 cfm are a thing. Lithium batteries are a thing.

No high pressure tanks or plumbing to worry about. No special high-pressure compressor to worry about. No secondary gasoline engines to run. No need to even wire it into the car's electrical system. Estimated run time is 24 minutes at half-power. Put it on some kind of WOT activated switch... should be good for 20-24 acceleration runs on a charge. Or just put it on a dash switch and flip it on when you want more power. And it only weighs 11.6 pounds.

I'll just leave this here:
    https://www.leafblowersdirect.com/Sh...er/p93218.html

Go, Daox, go!

(I'd explore this idea further, myself... but, adding forced induction of any kind onto my car would bump me up into an autocross class that I couldn't be competitive in. Not ready to do that just yet.)
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The leaf blower topic was discussed in another thread some time ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I think it was discussed awhile ago. Somebody used a pair to force induce a Chevrolet Monza and did a YouTube video on it if I remember correctly

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, it's old news. As is the compressed air thing. I think more people have tried leaf blowers because it's easier and a lot of people have one around, anyway.

Several YouTube videos out there for it. Seems most of them are on V8 cars... and it seems to make a difference. There is potential.

Cheap entertainment.

Simplify and add lightness.