Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I see cloning as a last resort - a method that doesn't really address TPMS registration.
    If the ultimate goal is to keep the TPMS functioning as cheaply/easily as possible, then I see cloning as a first resort.

Cloning is the fastest, cheapest and easiest way to handle TPMS sensor replacements. You can read a sensor ID and clone a replacement sensor in less than 2 minutes without touching the car's computer. If you can clone a TPMS sensor, you can handle sensor replacements in everything from a Tesla to a Mirage with no other tools or knowledge.

If you use the "traditional" TPMS replacement method (installing a new sensor and going through a vehicle-specific registration process), then the entire process takes longer, requires you to know each vehicle's re-learn process, and in some cases (Mirage) requires a specific type of expensive scan tool to initiate the re-learn process. Cloning eliminates all of these extra steps and additional hardware/software requirements.

I'm betting that most independent shops have gone to cloning as the first option for TPMS replacement because it's faster and they don't have to maintain expensive tools and software licenses. And if they use dual frequency programmable sensors, they only need to stock a single sensor.

By the way...I haven't tried it yet, but Autel told me that my tool can initiate a re-learn process in a Mirage even though it can't read ID's directly from the computer. I haven't tried it yet to verify that this is the case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I don't see it that way. For years, Mirage owners have discussed TPMS on this forum and have tried to program in their own TPMS sensors. Cloning has become the fallback approach - basically a workaround to the barriers set up against the DIY crowd.

I see cloning as a last resort - a method that doesn't really address TPMS registration. Top_Fuel discusses registration in post #4 and claims it impossible. jtr990 suggests it is possible, with the right equipment.

I am interested in learning about how to program/register new TPMS sensors into the Mirage. Even better if the gear needed is affordable. It wouldn't make sense to me to buy the tools & materials if they are more expensive than paying the dealer service department to do the work.

Another aspect not really covered much is I've heard European market Mirages (aka Space Star) have the capability to register two sets of TPMS sensors, and be able to switch between the two sets using the Mirage Multi Instrument Display. That would be cool.
    I don’t mean to knock what has been shared, because it just confirms to me that cloning is the way to go. No one is my area was able to clone a Mirage tire sensor when I check about a year ago. Our local tire shops aren’t where they should be on this stuff. The nearest Mitsubishi dealers would be a 130 mile round trip. Unless it’s warranty work or a recall issue, I somewhat avoid dealerships.

I don’t look at this the same way as you, & that is ok. I am totally on the same page as Top_Fuel on this one, and that is why I appreciate this thread that he started. We don't own European Mirages that store two sets of codes. Thus, that's a dead issue for me. I also don’t want to mess with expensive equipment & tools to keep my TPMS working. I want to change tires on my car & have to do nothing! Cloned sensors do that for you!

Thus, I have to ask what part of this sounds affordable to you? - “You don't need a Bartec Tech 300ProC, since it's mainly used for small tire and automotive shops. Plus, Bartec's software upgrade license costs vary from $300 for 1 year to $600 for 3 years.”

I am not saying a good OBD tool is not worthwhile. It’s just not something I want to mess with, unless it is necessary.

When something like this next quote is shared with me, I am convinced that I don’t want to go that route. I appreciate the advice just the same, because I am saying to myself, “I don’t want that headache!”

“If I know the MacBook Pro with an Intel processor, it also runs Windows via Boot Camp, since the MaxiTPMS PAD runs only on Microsoft Windows. And then there's the Schrader EZ-Sensor PAD, part #27028. That device programs Schrader EZ-Sensors and reads OE and aftermarket sensors. It not only works on a Windows PC, it also works with an iPhone, an iPad, and an Android tablet or smartphone through the Schrader TPMS app. However, it's twice as expensive as an Autel MaxiTPMS PAD. If I was planning on replacing the Bartec Tech 400SD, I would go for the Bartec Tech 300ProC (with OBD-II connectivity) as the main tool and the Autel MaxiTPMS TS408 as the second activation tool. But that's something to think about when the time comes.”

I want extra wheels for any of my vehicles to be cloned with the existing wheels for that same vehicle. When I switch tires, I have to do nothing! I don’t see this as a “last resort” at all. Some may be interested in spending money on more expensive OBD tools and paying for hundreds of dollars for yearly updates, but I am not that person. I just want wheels that work with my existing TPMS system, & I would rather set up the wheels to match the car than reprogram the car every time I change the wheels. Once your wheels are cloned, you are done!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    None of this would be an issue if Asian manufacturers didn't make TPMS registration such a pain in the butt!

I can install a new TPMS sensor in a GM vehicle and perform the registration process with the vehicle's key fob. Sadly, not all manufacturers have decided to make the process owner-friendly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2019),timw4mail (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    It will read removed sensors and copy them.
    I have seen some people claim to have used the pad to read the sensors in there wheels also.
    Check out this Nissan Leaf forum post where someone demonstrates the Autel MaxiTPMS Pad device to read and clone 4 sensors...

Nissan Leaf - Winter Wheels TPMS Cloning
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-25-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    None of this would be an issue if Asian manufacturers didn't make TPMS registration such a pain in the butt!

I can install a new TPMS sensor in a GM vehicle and perform the registration process with the vehicle's key fob. Sadly, not all manufacturers have decided to make the process owner-friendly.
    My 2015 Impala Limited that I use for btw lessons is the most basic model, but I can push a button on the dash & it will indicate the tire pressure of each tire. 4 pushes of a button & you have quickly checked all four tires.

The Mirage's TPMS system is quite lame by comparison. It's just one of those mandated things we have to live with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...I can push a button on the dash & it will indicate the tire pressure of each tire.
    ...4 pushes of a button & you have quickly checked all four tires.
    That is a very convenient feature to have. It will also tell you which TPMS sensor is dead when a battery runs out (the display will read XX for the tire when the sensor goes bad). Some manufacturers don't make this data available to the driver for whatever reason.

Orange Electronics created this device for owners of Mazda CX5 vehicles. This device displays the tire pressure (and temperature) being broadcast from the 4 TPMS sensors on a vehicle...and even sounds an alarm based on PSI setting you put into the device. How cool is that?!?

The Mazda CX5 uses 315 MHz sensors just like the Mirage...and I thought I might be able to get this to work with Mirage sensors. But it won't work. Apparently some sensors use the same frequency but different data transmission protocols.

I talked to the manufacturer and said this device would sell like hotcakes if it was more universal. So we'll see what happens. They were very responsive when I discussed this device with them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts

Boy ain't that the truth.

I still appreciate all the insight found here, both for cloning and for registration. It's all good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check out this Nissan Leaf forum post where someone demenstrates the Autel MaxiTPMS Pad device to read and clone 4 sensors...
    Good share! If you read through the posts, the owner of MaxiTPMS Pad device admits that he wished he had bought the TS408 tool instead. The Pad will do what you want to do, but lugging your laptop around the garage & placing it near each tire would be a pain.

I see the Autel TS408 & their clone-able sensors as being a great option, unless their sensors become expensive or are known to be junk (not last long).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Come spring we will se how the ts508 performs.
    As a cheep person I am always trying to gauge price against value.
    For me the ts508 kit seemed a better value.
    I want sensors in my snow tires and my summers, while keeping my stock Dunlop on steel rims as emergency backup or road trip tires. Either way I needed a tool and 8 sensors..
    the old ts508 kits came with 4 315 MHz sensors and 4 433 MHz sensors
    The newer ts508 kits come with 8 of the dual ban sensor 1 sensors..
    I paid 315$ for the kit. Cheapest I could find the sensors was $100 for 4.
    So that made the ts508 cost 115$..
    I just wanted to put this out there for anyone looking to invest in a tool and 8 sensors, this might be a good choice.
    If you only want/ need 4 sensors then the 408 is still a great option.
    And a Thank you to top fuel, for his time, research and posts on this and other topics.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-24-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Come spring we will se how the ts508 performs.
    As a cheep person I am always trying to gauge price against value.
    For me the ts508 kit seemed a better value.
    I want sensors in my snow tires and my summers, while keeping my stock Dunlop on steel rims as emergency backup or road trip tires. Either way I needed a tool and 8 sensors..
    the old ts508 kits came with 4 315 MHz sensors and 4 433 MHz sensors
    The newer ts508 kits come with 8 of the dual ban sensor 1 sensors..
    I paid 315$ for the kit. Cheapest I could find the sensors was $100 for 4.
    So that made the ts508 cost 115$..
    I just wanted to put this out there for anyone looking to invest in a tool and 8 sensors, this might be a good choice.
    If you only want/ need 4 sensors then the 408 is still a great option.
    And a Thank you to top fuel, for his time, research and posts on this and other topics.
    Let me know how the Autel TS508 works out for you. Don't forget to register and update!