Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

New 2014 Mirage DE 5 speed M/T

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Florida!

About a week ago I purchased the Mirage because my other vehicles got old and unreliable so it was time for an upgrade!

I had to drive about 70 miles to a dealer that had one with a manual trans. I had to have the 5 speed, the automatic is probably fine but not my cup of tea.

Luckily the car is silver in color. I would have taken the only 5 speed they had in any color except the purple/pink.

So why get a Mirage?

Because I'm a macho guy and I knew I had to get something that will attract the ladies no matter what it's going to cost

Joking aside, I work at a Buick-GMC-Mitsubishi dealership and when I asked a sales person-what do we have on the lot that is a manual transmission? The answer was basically- nothing used but we got the new Mirages and you could probably get that in a 5 speed.

Well we only had the automatic transmission ones with no ETA on the 5 speeds so after checking out the A/T I liked the Mirage and needed the new ride ASAP hence the drive to another dealer.

So what do I not like about the car?

- There is really nothing that bothers me about the car sofar.

According to most reviews there is the body roll while cornering. Yes the body rolls a bit more than say my old mazda protege. It does not matter to me!

- Shifter "not precise"- You are not precise shifting To me it shifts fine.

- "All plastic door panels"- Thank you! This way in few years there is not going to be a dirt spot on the door panel where the elbow might rub the panel. (dust,sweat etc.)

- Turn signal audible click feedback could be a little louder I have to glance down to the cluster to see if the green arrow is flashing or not. Something I will get used to!

The only real wish I have is taller gearing would be nice. And I maybe saying that because I'm a hypermiler and like to see RPMs as low as possible.

Things I like about the car!

-Inexpensive! ( I know that is relative)

-Awesome MPGs!
    Less than 500 miles on the car sofar but I can now routinely get the MPG display to go 60+ after 14 plus miles from a cold start.
    Can not comment on MPG display accuracy until my next fillup!

-Sound of the engine! I think it sounds like a badass from the inside of the car

-Leg room, head clearance! I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room!

-Awesome low beam headlamp with a projector like sharp cutoff! Great high beam too!

- Steering! I like the steering most reviews complain about. Light at slow speeds and I think complete removal of assist at high speeds. I can take a gentle bend in the road with an initial setting of the steering wheel before the curve and it will hold a few degrees of steering wheel angle on it's own indefinitely.

However that is not the reason I like it. There is a particular road where trucks had caved ruts in the asphalt and I always see other vehicles darting all over the place on that road due to the wheels catching the side of the indentations. Well the little Mirage just keeps heading in a straight line like it's on rails!

Bottom line: I really like this little thing overall! I would drive it anywhere!

Cheers!

PS: Is there a five post rule for attaching images? When I hit the insert image button,my screen goes white out and have to reload the page. Could be my computer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (11-10-2013),Mikhail (11-10-2013)