Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to gamble on the little car that every reviewer hates

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts

It's all relative!

My last economy car (prior to my 2017 Mirage) didn't come with A/C, power steering, power windows, power locks, remote key entry, ABS brakes, stability control, traction control, air bags, radio/speakers/antenna, back up camera, cruise control, intermittent wipers (speed controlled wipers), bluetooth, tachometer, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, passenger side mirror, & I may be forgetting a few things here. On top of that, it was 2-door hatch with skinny 12" steel wheels (145SR12). The interior wasn't entirely covered with plastic, however. Much it was just exposed metal that was the same color as the outside of the car.

A 2019 Mirage ES has everything listed in my first sentence! EVERYTHING!!! When someone states they bought a base level Mirage with not much on it, I just chuckle inside. I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh!

I liked my 1990 Ford Festiva, because it was affordable (paid $5300 brand new with no trade), economical (never got below 40 mpg), & reliable (during the 14 years that I owned it, it never had a recall or ever went back to a dealership for anything). Second owner used the car for years beyond me.

I really like my 2017 Mirage ES (manual), but there isn't anything that you could add to this car that would have made me pay more than $10,000 for one (new or used). It's an economy car, & I never lose sight of that. It's meant to be cheap, economical, & hopefully reliable (great warranty erases some fears there).

Last edited by Mark; 01-05-2019 at 08:31 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-05-2019),johane (08-21-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like my 1990 Ford Festiva, because it was affordable (paid $5300 brand new with no trade), economical (never got below 40 mpg), & reliable (during the 14 years that I owned it, it never had recall or ever went back to a dealership for anything). Second owner used the car for years beyond me.
    Less to break later on, in theory anyways. My 2014 Mirage ES base has 80% of the options to what yours has, and that's the base, so you're right. Though I almost like that I have 2 power windows in the front, 2 roll down crank windows in the back.. makes a conversation starter that begins with "what!?"

I wouldn't want my Mirage in automatic, or a sedan for that matter - of course for me anyway. Some of the bad reviews might be from driving an automatic

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Less to break later on, in theory anyways. My 2014 Mirage ES base has 80% of the options to what yours has, and that's the base, so you're right. Though I almost like that I have 2 power windows in the front, 2 roll down crank windows in the back.. makes a conversation starter that begins with "what!?"

I wouldn't want my Mirage in automatic, or a sedan for that matter - of course for me anyway. Some of the bad reviews might be from driving an automatic
    My 2017 Mirage ES (manual) doesn't have what the 2019 Mirage ES has either.

2018 added backup camera & bluetooth to all models.

2019 added cruise & 6-way adjustable driver's seat to all models. Nice addition in my mind!

Our 2016 Ford Focus driver's education cars have the two crank windows in back. I've had this discussion before. In Wisconsin, I really don't' use A/C all that much. It's nice when you want it. I do, however, drive with the back windows open slightly a lot. I like the added air flow it creates in the car. I would rather have crank windows in the front & power windows in the back, because I can reach the front window. I don't care for the Ford Focus window set up. As far as I am concerned, all four window may as well be crank windows.

The old Ford Festiva didn't even have roll down back windows. Thus, we don't have to argue this point. You could pop out the back of the rears window like the rear windows of old mini-vans. I drove with those popped open 90% of the summer time. You had to get out the car and pop them open from the rear hatch. That was easier than trying climb back into the rear seat.

My point is that the base level Mirage comes pretty well equipped, & I just think the base level Mirage is the best value. Great discounts are found on the other trim levels, too! Some find those other things to be important, & that's ok. I like simple, but in this case I don't see the ES model as even being that basic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-05-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

My point is that the base level Mirage comes pretty well equipped, & I just think the base level Mirage is the best value. Great discounts are found on the other trim levels, too! Some find those other things to be important, & that's ok. I like simple, but in this case I don't see the ES model as even being that basic.
    I think the best deal is the most basic Mirage, unless they have marked down left over 18s, and then in that scenario you might as well opt for the better-equipped model. I like my base ES, it has all the safety stuff etc., and also I'm not much for A/C either. It's winter more than summer anyways in Ontario it seems! Might as well open up your windows one way or another and enjoy the breeze and lose your hearing in the process

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It comes pretty decently equipped for the price, that's for sure. The Nissan Versa (Eww) doesn't have anything when you buy the base model except bluetooth and back up camera because in 2018 the US Govt mandated backup cameras. I just want to add some of the stuff that Mitsubishi says you can't have on the base car, especially the heated seats because with my back issues and long car rides it makes a world of difference for me.

My dad had a Festiva way back in the day, a 1990 L I believe. His had the optional upgraded interior (cloth door panels!), am/fm 4 speaker radio, rear defrost, and a sunroof! That car kicked ass! Sadly I think the engine blew up or something bad happened to it and that was the end of it. That thing was awesome in the snow and a burnout machine with those little 12" wheels.

Side note so I don't forget... find a set of 3rd gen Yaris rear springs to put on Mirage to make it better for carrying heavier loads.
    Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 01-06-2019 at 02:42 AM.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    My dad had a Festiva way back in the day, a 1990 L I believe. His had the optional upgraded interior (cloth door panels!), am/fm 4 speaker radio, rear defrost, and a sunroof! That car kicked ass! Sadly I think the engine blew up or something bad happened to it and that was the end of it. That thing was awesome in the snow and a burnout machine with those little 12" wheels.
    That's a great story about the Fiesta, you do hear a good amount of reminiscing about econo boxes of yore on this forum. I'm with you with the heated seats, I wonder if they made centre console arm rests in the Mirage standard for 2019, that would be nice to ease long trips.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can answer that haha. Nope! Every other trim level but the ES comes with an armrest attached to the driver seat. There's an accessory console box/armrest for the ES but I don't know if I want to outlay the cash for that. Especially if I'm nabbing seats out of a GT for the heated seats then I'll have that nifty arm rest as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nope! Every other trim level but the ES comes with an armrest attached to the driver seat
    Even better armrest then if it's right on the seat like that. Mitsu cheapos out though on the ES model there, like come on. Oh well like people say with this car has to be seen through the lens of economy to see it right. Personally I don't find it as slow as other say it is.
    I have also considered the aftermarket arm rest and will get one eventually if I am still driving the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Made a bad decision...
    Name:  dumb person.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  84.5 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Made a bad decision...
    Right on, the Mirage base stereo is o.k. but with the windows down not really great, upgrade is understandable though I don't mind my setup with my usb flash drive music library I have going pretty nice.