Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Mirage is EASY to work on!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Why did you have to replace the engine? 2015 seems so young for that?
    He autocrosses the car. IIRC, his partner grabbed first gear instead of third while downshifting, over-revved the engine, and blew it up! Check out his avatar pic.

I am sure Loren will tell the story much better.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Why did you have to replace the engine? 2015 seems so young for that?
    This should answer your question.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...7521#post77521

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, he actually hit first while reaching for 3rd. 6500 rpm at the top of 2nd gear = 54 mph. 54 mph in 1st gear = over 10,000 rpm.

Instant valve float and six bent exhaust valves.

The engine has been flawless besides that!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Whats your opinion on brand tires? I want to keep the 14" wheels though, any specific companies out there making good ones?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Whats your opinion on brand tires? I want to keep the 14" wheels though, any specific companies out there making good ones?
    Affordable = Federal SS657
    More traction/mid-price = Vredestein Qratrac 5
    Winter = Dunlop WinterMaxx

Good starting point or reference point for 165/65r14 tires. These tires have a 22.4" outside diameter. Many members use 175/65r14 tires (23"), because tire options become endless.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-07-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Affordable = Federal SS657
    More traction/mid-price = Vredestein Qratrac 5
    Winter = Dunlop WinterMaxx

Good starting point or reference point for 165/65r14 tires. These tires have a 22.4" outside diameter. Many members use 175/65r14 tires (23"), because tire options become endless.
    We've used the dunlop wintermaxx in the stock size, they seem to wear pretty fast compared to the sailun iceblazer's we also run in the 185-60 14 size. Had a few drivers comment how they prefered the sailuns(1/2 worn) over the dunlops(with 80% tread remaining). Once the stock tires wear out we only run 185-60-14's on the stock wheels, never had a problem cause the wheel is too narrow. I wouldn't go any wider though. You can't guess what a tire's height will be just from the "size". The specs the mfg has to meet are pretty slack. You can have 2 new tires, same size, different mfg and the actual real life dimensions will often be off an inch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why are we talking about tires in this thread? Or Honda Fits for that matter?

It's really not that hard to start a new topic, y'all.
    Simplify and add lightness.

good point.

But......... I'm not overly concerned about a thread talking about how an easy to work on car is in fact easy to work on, being derailed.

I get it, we don't want every thread to get cluttered with junk though, makes it a pain to go back and weed through the crap later looking for something. I have a hard enough time using the search function as it.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-07-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 2,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Why are we talking about tires in this thread? Or Honda Fits for that matter?

It's really not that hard to start a new topic, y'all.
    Loren - it was you who first brought up the Honda Fit in your first post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I've spent the past 3 days helping a friend replace the engine in a 2007 Honda Fit.

Pretty straightforward process if you know what you're doing. Not my first rodeo. In fact, I replaced the engine in my 2015 Mirage just a couple months ago.

And that's why I can tell you that THE MIRAGE IS EASY TO WORK ON!

I have more little cuts and scrapes on my hands from this stupid Honda! Don't get me wrong, it's not a horribly designed car... but, there are a handful of things that are just plain more difficult than they should be.

The only thing that really fought us on the Mirage was getting the axles out of the trans... of course THAT was super-easy on the Honda.

Anyway... rejoice. The Mirage is way easier to work on than a Honda Fit. There's just a LOT more space around the engine in the Mirage, and it's generally more thoughtfully designed for maintenance and repairs. I pity the fool who has to change an alternator or a starter on a Fit.
    Oftentimes it's helpful to compare one thing against another.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)