Thread: Oil for a mirage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Raise your hand if you remember the same damned fuss 20-25 years ago when 5w30 oil first hit the market.

"WHAT? My car needs 10W40 or 20W50! I won't even put 10W30 in it, that's too light weight. You want me to put 5W30 in it because it's supposed to save fuel??? It will destroy my engine!"

And... "WHAT? Change my oil every 5,000 miles??? Are you NUTS? I never let my oil go more than 3,000 miles, EVER. I usually change it at 2,500 just to be safe. My dad did 3k oil changes, and so did my grandad. If I let it go to 5,000 miles, it will destroy my engine!"

Same. Damned. Story. Same "old guys" resisting "new tech".

Oil tech has improved. Again. And it's still improving. 0W16 is coming next!

Read all of the oil studies from the people who's business it is to KNOW lubrication. They all say the same thing for oil in street cars: lighter is better. Particularly the low first number (cold viscosity). For a track-driven car, things can be a little different and you might want a 40 or 50 weight when it's hot. But, that doesn't apply to the Mirage.

Unless you're running so many miles every year that the cost of oil changes is a factor (Steve), or you've got lifetime free non-synth oil changes from the dealer (Steve)... just run the 0W20 synthetic, and be happy. And run it for 10-12k miles because it's synthetic and can handle it. Welcome to 2019.
    Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

foama (04-18-2019)