Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Not getting the magical mileage that is advertised for this car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akawendystorm View Post
    So I'm in Canada and just bought a 2024 Mirage GT based on the claims of the fuel efficiency and not wanting to have a second car being a major emitter (our other is a hybrid Tucson).

I have 1300 kms on the car now since September and I am not seeing anything near advertised claims of fuel efficiency. I'm driving it like a baby keeping the eco light on as much as possible. No wind. No racks. No reason. Not that many hills. Tires are inflated. We hardly drive the thing and never idle it.

I'm averaging around 300 km to a tank, maybe 340 if I push it. It's a 35 L tank. That's work than 10 Litres per 100/km. I dont know how that translates to MPG but There are 4 litres in a gallon so I guess that works out to 24 mpg or so. The car was advertised to give 6.6 L/100 KM in the city, 5.6L/100 KM on the highway, and 6.2L/100 KM combined with CVT. Currently my Hybrid Tucson is outperforming this little car even with racks, roof box, and dare I say it, towing a 1200 lbs trailer behind it. It's criminal!

Is there anything one can do when you are getting about half the advertised mileage on a brand new car?
    How you are measuring fuel is confusing to me? I suggest -

Fill your fuel tank to full. Reset your trip odometer to 0.

The next time you fill up your gas tank after that share the amount of km driven and liters of gas needed to refill.

If you are already doing it this way, I apologize. It wasn't clear to me?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How you are measuring fuel is confusing to me? I suggest -

The next time you fill up your gas tank after that share the amount of km driven and liters of gas needed to refill.

If you are already doing it this way, I apologize. It wasn't clear to me?
    I got confused too.

Mark is correct. It how we measure MPG which comes in several variables.

My MPG isn’t even 45 consistently but it is easily achievable even with the extra weight.

One of several ways to hit 40 MPG easily in my perspective is to avoid super short/low speed commute. I’m talking like 3 miles/30 miles per hour one way. Another way is by maintaining the RPM below 2,500 when driving aka feather the gas pedal.

Oh yeah, no excessive idle. Take a longer route is almost always better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Try this as Mark says. Also where are you driving? City stop & go in rush hour? Highway long distance or little short trips to the grocery store etc?? You can track your fuel economy right here using the Fuel Economy Log & you don't need to do any calculations & even leave little notes to yourself & others. Give us a little more info about your driving, the weather conditions (my MPG's fall off in the cold quite bad) & the pro's will help you out!!!

Also, Welcome to the group
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, that post just doesn't sense. I run mine til the gauge reads empty pretty consistently and can only stuff in 31 liters at most. I don't drive mine easily and still get at least 400km to a tank in the winter, letting it idle a bit some days. With the numbers you posted, that's basically impossible to get 20mpg(US) from one of these cars unless you pour 5 gallons on the ground during each fillup.

The worst I've ever gotten was 7.9l/100km(29mpg) in the winter, that was with tons of idling, lots of cold. So the only reason I can see poor economy is you're not running the tank very low or not filling it up all the way, or both...

And welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (01-25-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akawendystorm View Post
    So I'm in Canada and just bought a 2024 Mirage GT based on the claims of the fuel efficiency and not wanting to have a second car being a major emitter (our other is a hybrid Tucson).

I have 1300 kms on the car now since September and I am not seeing anything near advertised claims of fuel efficiency. I'm driving it like a baby keeping the eco light on as much as possible. No wind. No racks. No reason. Not that many hills. Tires are inflated. We hardly drive the thing and never idle it.

I'm averaging around 300 km to a tank, maybe 340 if I push it. It's a 35 L tank. That's work than 10 Litres per 100/km. I dont know how that translates to MPG but There are 4 litres in a gallon so I guess that works out to 24 mpg or so. The car was advertised to give 6.6 L/100 KM in the city, 5.6L/100 KM on the highway, and 6.2L/100 KM combined with CVT. Currently my Hybrid Tucson is outperforming this little car even with racks, roof box, and dare I say it, towing a 1200 lbs trailer behind it. It's criminal!

Is there anything one can do when you are getting about half the advertised mileage on a brand new car?
    So, 1,300 km since September. (800 miles). So two, maybe three fill ups. Over four months. In Canada. So, new motor. Cold weather. Looks like it never gets warmed up for any length of time. Means AVERAGE oil viscosity over any trip length is very high. If you think running across a children's pool of knee-deep water would be hard, imagine it if the pool were full of molasses in winter. Your oil temperatures will lag your water temperature by about 20-30 minutes in reaching a level normal temperature.

Just say'n

20mpg in these cars isn't happening.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

foama (01-25-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-25-2024),jebr (01-26-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I get better fuel economy than advertized.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Sure. You can take it back to the dealer and tell them your situation. They can check it all out. That's a start anyway, since the car is brand new.

I didn't notice the numbers being off, since they're all in killermeaters. I didn't glean short trips either.

But it is kind of some of the poorer conditions for mpg. New engine, not broken in. Winter blend fuel. CVT. Cold weather, leading perhaps to various precipitation on the ground to plow through.

10L/100km is ~23.5 mpg. Had to google it. I don't see how that is possible considering the conditions you mentioned. So if it were me, back to the dealer it would go (for a check).
    Last edited by 7milesout; 01-25-2024 at 08:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Sure. You can take it back to the dealer and tell them your situation. They can check it all out. That's a start anyway, since the car is brand new.

I didn't notice the numbers being off, since they're all in killermeaters. I didn't glean short trips either.

But it is kind of some of the poorer conditions for mpg. New engine, not broken in. Winter blend fuel. CVT. Cold weather, leading perhaps to various precipitation on the ground to plow through.

10L/100km is ~23.5 mpg. Had to google it. I don't see how that is possible considering the conditions you mentioned. So if it were me, back to the dealer it would go (for a check).
    I don't follow what he shared.

What does 35 liters (approximately 9.2 gallons) of fuel mean? Does this mean he is running the tank bone dry to reach 300-340 km?

If I said I put 200 miles/322 km on my Mirage & then filled up my car, the 9.2 gallon/35 liter gas tank means nothing (useless you are driving until you run out). Even then we all question how much these tanks really hold? We need to know how much fuel he really used?

I can't say I went 200 miles on a tank of gas (200 miles/9.2 gallons = 21.7 mpg) unless I used up the entire tank of gas! 21.7 mpg = 10.8 l/100 km

Reality check: If I put 200 miles on my Mirage, I might fit 4.5 gallons of gas back into my gas tank. 200 miles/4.5 gallons = 44.44 mpg. 44.44 mpg = 5.3 l/100 km
    Last edited by Mark; 01-26-2024 at 01:56 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-26-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-26-2024),jebr (01-26-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the math isn't mathing here. How much gas is actually being added at each fill-up? Unless it's being run bone-dry (which is not a good idea!) between fill-ups, the capacity of the fuel tank hardly matters.

As an aside, I have a new Mirage, was running it pretty hard during a cold snap here in Minnesota (below zero degrees Fahrenheit, unheated garage and outdoor parking lot startups, shorter/stop-and-go trips around town, some idling in parking lots while waiting for someone) and still getting 33 MPG. 23MPG seems...impossible unless you're letting it idle for hours and doing extremely short trips. Or something's horribly wrong with the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp)