Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Mitsu Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That said, TRY the manual, even if you do lots of city driving.
    The Mirage has the lightest, easiest to use clutch I've ever driven. Not hard on the leg at all!
    I bought my new 5-speed Mirage from a dealer 300 miles away from me. I had never test driven a Mirage. The first time I drove one was when I hopped in to drive the car home.

When I pushed the clutch pedal down for the first time, I was actually somewhat upset. Why? Because the pedal was so light I assumed the clutch obviously wasn't working correctly. I had almost pushed my foot through the floor! I figured there was no way it was normal and something had to be wrong with the car. After a few miles of driving, I had it figured out.

I wouldn't let time or convenience dictate the car I'm buying. If I'm going to own this thing for the next 7+ years, it's going to be the color I want with the transmission I want. If I have to fly 1000 miles away to get it (and save a couple of grand at the same time), I'll do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    There was a dealership near me that had THREE 2015 Plasma Purple manual transmission Mirage DEs on their lot...brand new...well into calendar year 2017. How many people do you think walked into a dealership and said, "Do you have any purple cars? Oh, and a manual transmission is a big plus."

Last time I looked at the prices on these three cars, the dealership was looking to unload them at about $7,800 each! Being secure in my manhood, I almost bought one just to have a spare.

Why did Kiwi Green and Plasma Purple go away? They didn't sell. One thing I would love to see on the Mirage is a more sedate green. Like a jade or emerald green.
    Kiwi green didnt sell? I thought it was the rarest color in the lineup, part of the reason I got mine. Didnt they make 1 green for every 20 black/white Mirages? Something along those lines?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Kiwi green didnt sell? I thought it was the rarest color in the lineup, part of the reason I got mine. Didnt they make 1 green for every 20 black/white Mirages? Something along those lines?
    If it's 'rare' that kinda means it didn't sell when new by definition, doesn't it? I don't think I remember any dealership near me having a green one for sale new when I was shopping for mine in November/December of '14.

That color was only offered for '14 and part of '15. I am not surprised that these two colors were discontinued, but I am surprised that the green was discontinued first. Plasma Purple was offered all the way through 2015, but I am not sure if any were built as part of the extended 'overproduction' portion of the '15 model year.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 2,129 Posts
    There was a dealership near me that had THREE 2015 Plasma Purple manual transmission Mirage DEs on their lot...brand new...well into calendar year 2017. How many people do you think walked into a dealership and said, "Do you have any purple cars? Oh, and a manual transmission is a big plus."

Last time I looked at the prices on these three cars the dealership was looking to unload them at about $7,800 each! Being secure in my manhood, I almost bought one just to have a spare.

Why did Kiwi Green and Plasma Purple go away? They didn't sell. One thing I would love to see on the Mirage is a more sedate green. Like a jade or emerald green.
    Personally, I think the colors offered now are great! I could live with any of them. Regardless of the deal, I wouldn't buy a Plasma Purple. It would have been the one color that I would have drawn the line at & said I am not crossing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Personally, I think the colors offered now are great! I could live with any of them. Regardless of the deal, I wouldn't buy a Plasma Purple. It would have been the one color that I would have drawn the line at & said I am not crossing it.
    I was never particularly happy with InfraRed. I would have preferred a bright, non-metallic, lipstick red lacquer like GM offered back in the 1990s on cars like the Firebird and Corvette. THAT would have looked sharp on a car like this.

I am also not a fan of Pearl White. I liked Cloud White better.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I was never particularly happy with InfraRed. I would have preferred a bright, non-metallic, lipstick red lacquer like GM offered back in the 1990s on cars like the Firebird and Corvette. THAT would have looked sharp on a car like this.

I am also not a fan of Pearl White. I liked Cloud White better.
    Baby blue would look coo I think.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Baby blue would look coo I think.
    Yeah, I'd be okay with that. Never thought about it before! And I wish we had gotten some kind of yellow. I do like the Sunset Orange we get now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
    I get that, but it seems like you can't really bargain your way through if you do that.
    The important thing is knowing what you want first. If you decide a manual is what you want, your choice becomes easier. You're looking for an ES manual. Just pick a color and you are done. If a CVT is your choice, you have 5 trim level options (ES, RF, LE, SE, GT) to pick from.

I bought my car from my recliner in my living room. The dealer that I bought it from didn't have that particular car on their lot, & I paid 65.4% of window sticker.

If I know what I want, I would never waste my time dealing on a car @ dealership. They got you exactly where they want you! If you contact them via email and ask for their OTD (out-the-door), you have them exactly where you want them. They know you are shopping around. They know you are comparing their price to other dealerships. They are way less inclined to add silly items to the final price.

My nearest dealership was horrible about this. When I asked for their OTD price, it seemed like I asked the salesman for his kidney or something. Red flags were going off everywhere for me. When I visited them & told them, I already had my financing in order they seemed even less interested in me. I was a person they weren't going to make a lot money off of, & we both knew that. I used them for test drive. I bought my Mirage from a dealership that was accommodating.

The other dealership went like this. I called the general manager. He picked up his own phone. I asked if I could still get one of those $9500 Mirages they had been selling all summer (this was now October). He told me how I could get it for $9000. He asked me top three color choices as he is already searching for Mirages on his computer. I told him that I really didn't have the time to travel there or anyone to help me drive two vehicles back home (because I wasn't trading a vehicle). He eliminated that issue for me, too. He actually sent me to the local Mitsubishi dealership to look at a few things before making my purchase, because I was on the fence between the ES or SE manual at the time. Who does that?

If I wanted to buy a Mirage at the dealership I visited, it would have cost me about $2,500 more OTD. The days of going to dealership & wasting a good part of day dealing on a car are done for me. If I am buying a car, the price is set before I step in their door. Otherwise, we are just wasting each other's time.

I called this dealership on Tuesday, & I got a sense of what he was going to do for me. I went to my local dealership that same day after school, & test drove a Mirage ES (manual). I hadn't done that yet. I told that dealership what I wanted. They started making excuses, & I just left. I called the other dealership back the next day (Wednesday). That Saturday morning I said I would be home by 10:30 am. I had a driving lesson that morning. I got home at 10:25 am. My new car, salesman, another employee with his car were in my driveway waiting for me. We went in to my kitchen table, signed the paperwork, they handed me the keys, he went over the car a little, & they were off to their 4 hour drive back to the Twin Cities. Keep in mind, my Mirage was not on their lot when I called them. It was at another dealership in the Twin Cities, however. My car never appears on the sites I looked at. The Mitsubishi dealership that my car was sitting at no longer exists. The one that delivered my car is doing quite well!

My Dad recently bought a GMC Terrain. & my brother bought a new GMC pickup this spring. They wanted to pay cash. It would have costed them several thousands more. My dad took their financing to get every rebate possible. He paid off the entire vehicle with his first payment with no penalty. My brother was told he had to wait until his 3rd payment to pay off the vehicle entirely with no penalty. Sometimes, you have to play their game.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

RyanGreener (06-21-2019),Top_Fuel (06-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The important thing is knowing what you want first. If you decide a manual is what you want, your choice becomes easier. You're looking for an ES manual. Just pick a color and you are done. If a CVT is your choice, you have 5 trim level options (ES, RF, LE, SE, GT) to pick from.

I bought my car from my recliner in my living room. The dealer that I bought it from didn't have that particular car on their lot, & I paid 65.4% of window sticker.

If I know what I want, I would never waste my time dealing on a car @ dealership. They got you exactly where they want you! If you contact them via email and ask for their OTD (out-the-door), you have them exactly where you want them. They know you are shopping around. They know you are comparing their price to other dealerships. They are way less inclined to add silly items to the final price.

My nearest dealership was horrible about this. When I asked for their OTD price, it seemed like I asked the salesman for his kidney or something. Red flags were going off everywhere for me. When I visited them & told them, I already had my financing in order they seemed even less interested in me. I was a person they weren't going to make a lot money off of, & we both knew that. I used them for test drive. I bought my Mirage from a dealership that was accommodating.

The other dealership went like this. I called the general manager. He picked up his own phone. I asked if I could still get one of those $9500 Mirages they had been selling all summer (this was now October). He told me how I could get it for $9000. He asked me top three color choices as he is already searching for Mirages on his computer. I told him that I really didn't have the time to travel there or anyone to help me drive two vehicles back home (because I wasn't trading a vehicle). He eliminated that issue for me, too. He actually sent me to the local Mitsubishi dealership to look at a few things before making my purchase, because I was on the fence between the ES or SE manual at the time. Who does that?

If I wanted to buy a Mirage at the dealership I visited, it would have cost me about $2,500 more OTD. The days of going to dealership & wasting a good part of day dealing on a car are done for me. If I am buying a car, the price is set before I step in their door. Otherwise, we are just wasting each other's time.

I called this dealership on Tuesday, & I got a sense of what he was going to do for me. I went to my local dealership that same day after school, & test drove a Mirage ES (manual). I hadn't done that yet. I told that dealership what I wanted. They started making excuses, & I just left. I called the other dealership back the next day (Wednesday). That Saturday morning I said I would be home by 10:30 am. I had a driving lesson that morning. I got home at 10:25 am. My new car, salesman, another employee with his car were in my driveway waiting for me. We went in to my kitchen table, signed the paperwork, they handed me the keys, he went over the car a little, & they were off to their 4 hour drive back to the Twin Cities. Keep in mind, my Mirage was not on their lot when I called them. It was at another dealership in the Twin Cities, however. My car never appears on the sites I looked at. The Mitsubishi dealership that my car was sitting at no longer exists. The one that delivered my car is doing quite well!

My Dad recently bought a GMC Terrain. & my brother bought a new GMC pickup this spring. They wanted to pay cash. It would have costed them several thousands more. My dad took their financing to get every rebate possible. He paid off the entire vehicle with his first payment with no penalty. My brother was told he had to wait until his 3rd payment to pay off the vehicle entirely with no penalty. Sometimes, you have to play their game.
    I have to try these little tactics for my next car. Thanks for all that info and perspective.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,479 Posts
    I agree with everything Mark suggested.

Once you have a deal negotiated, ask the salesman to email you a complete Purchase Order for the car. A PO documents everything about the purchase...the price of the car, the taxes, the BS fees, etc. This way you know exactly what paperwork they are going to put in front of you when you show up to complete the purchase. This way there are no surprises.

I had a great experience with my dealer and sales guy, but even their Finance Manager tried to sneak in an extra fee. I caught it right away on my Purchase Order. They removed the fee and sent an updated PO. Like Mark, I had not even left my house at this point.

If the dealer hesitates on this request, just tell them you are financing the car at an outside lender (like your own credit union). A bank or credit union will not release a payment to the dealer without a Purchase Order. So if they want the sale, they will give you a Purchase Order document.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

RyanGreener (06-21-2019)