Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there an easy way to turn of TMPS warning light permanently?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    Is there an easy way to turn off the TMPS warning light permanently?

I don't place much value on the TMPS system. It's just an idiot light as far as I'm concerned. NOTE--I an NOT
    inviting debate on that question.

I just want to know if the light can be disabled.
    Thanks to DimensionTheory, the answer is YES! Read posts 14,15 & 19.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DimensionTheory View Post
    ...I don't have any sensors
    ...my TPMS light would blink for approx 60 seconds and then the light would stay on.
    ...This no longer happens, the light doesn't come on at all.
    Well...that sounds like a pretty good test to me! I would say it's been disabled!

Quick question... When you first "key on" to start your car and all the dash warning lights come on, does the TPMS light still light up at that point?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Quick question... When you first "key on" to start your car and all the dash warning lights come on, does the TPMS light still light up at that point?
    That's a good question.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Well...that sounds like a pretty good test to me! I would say it's been disabled!

The purpose of all those dash lights coming on is to show all those features are on & working.

If the system is turned off, I would guess his TPMS doesn't light up ever. I hope he confirms this, too!

Does the TPMS symbol exist on a Canadian Mirage dash? (On my 2017 Mirage the TPMS light is located just left of the left turn signal arrow, & it is hard to see when not lit.) If a TPMS symbol does exists on your dash, does it ever light up when turning the key on?

If your TPMS light doesn't come on when you turn on the key, I would assume the system isn't working properly or the feature is turned off.

If you were shopping for a used Mirage & you don't see the TPMS light when turning the key on, it would be fair to assume something is wrong with the system or the feature is turned off. If the TPMS light flashes and stays on, you have could have low psi in a tire or a faulty (dead sensor). You can buy a decent tire pressure gauge for $2.50.

I don't see TPMS being an awesome feature, but we aren't here to debate that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The TPMS light doesn't come on ever, under any circumstance. Whether or not it will come on in the future I'll keep everyone posted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DimensionTheory For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The TPMS light doesn't come on ever, under any circumstance.
    That's what I would expect for a Canadian-spec Mirage. Canadian Mirages may still have the warning light on the dash circuit panel, but I wouldn't expect it to light up for the key-on bulb check. That would just confuse people if the car doesn't really have TPMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Does the TPMS symbol exist on a Canadian Mirage dash?
    Funny...I was also wondering the same thing.

Name:  warninglight.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  37.5 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 09-23-2019 at 12:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would assume somewhere in the world TPMS aren't required or offered, which is why it has a modifiable option.

Since the Mirage (and many other cars) are being manufactured as global cars, as well as cost cutting (I'd assume it's easier and cheaper to have 1 harness instead of a different harness for each option), it seems that any model that doesn't currently have TPMS, could have it enabled. All you'd need to do is have the TPMS turned on, and then the sensors installed and handshake them with the ECU and the system would then be functional. This could be a nice feature for people who don't necessarily have time or cooperative weather to keep an eye on pressure.

With this being a Russian program, I've noticed some of the tabs or options don't make complete sense. I do wonder if one of the settings turned on individual pressure monitoring (like how many of the GMs have for example) but I doubt the instrument cluster is capable of displaying it. Possibly an aftermarket gauge or something could. Someone with ETACS Decoder, with working TPMS could try messing with this. Then again, the sensors themselves may need to be changed to one that can output that information. Like how some cars have Oil pressure senders with a dummy light but can be upgraded to a gauge reading.

Of course in my case, since I have a US Spec car, I can't comment on other countries/options other than what I saw in the tabs. It may be that certain VINS give different options in the Decoder program, or allow/don't allow certain changes. A British mirage may have TPMS that can't be disabled in ETACS based off VIN or ECM read/write information or security groups. This is all well beyond my level of knowledge as a hobby car modifier and parts store sales guy that mainly messed with tuning Hondas and Nissans prior to buying the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One more thing to add, do be careful with ETACS decoder. While there are a lot of useful things, some may functions may be mistranslated and could alter other things. If you change something and the change doesn't appear to take, I would highly recommend switching it back. As an example, let's say you enable a low fluid light of some sort and nothing happens, it could just be an unsupported change with no effect but you might have disabled an airbag or something instead. So always check each changed feature and revert it back if it doesn't work to be safe.

One I came across was VSS tire diameter. It listed 7218mm, 7260mm or 7285mm I believe. Mine was defaulted on 7218mm. Unless my conversion math is wrong, I dont have 60 inch wheels.

You could also make your car unable to be driven. While unlikely, changing something like the year of the vehicle from 18 to 14 could freak an immobilizer out. So definitely do any changes in a place the car is OK to be parked at, and be prepared to possibly void warranties or be towed if you forgot what you changed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would assume somewhere in the world TPMS aren't required or offered, which is why it has a modifiable option.
    TPMS is not required in Canada. But like Eggman mentioned earlier in this thread, someone familiar with the ETACS emulator software had previously stated that you couldn't modify the TPMS settings?!? So nobody bothered to try it until you did...which is HUGE because we all assumed it couldn't be done!

I do wonder if one of the settings turned on individual pressure monitoring...but I doubt the instrument cluster is capable of displaying it.
    People would dislike TPMS a lot less if they could constantly monitor the real-time pressure readings from all 4 tires. I have this setup in my car right now and it's come in quite handy over the last couple of months when I picked up 2 more screws in my tires. But I'm not doing it through the ETACS or the factory display...because I don't think any Mirage was ever designed to have a high-line TPMS.

One more thing to add, do be careful with ETACS decoder.
    I'm glad there are people out there willing to play with this stuff because I'd be afraid of turning my car into a 2000 lb brick by selecting the wrong ETACS options. Do you have an opportunity to back up your existing settings in that software before you start over-writing the factory settings? In other words...if you really screw something up can you go back to the saved settings?

One I came across was VSS tire diameter. It listed 7218mm, 7260mm or 7285mm I believe. Mine was defaulted on 7218mm.
    Interesting. This person came across tire circumference values in ETACS. These circumference values (according to the resident tire engineer) are calculated with a Static Loaded Radius...so they don't match any tires using normal circumference formulas based on a tire's unloaded radius.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One more thing to add, do be careful with ETACS decoder. While there are a lot of useful things, some may functions may be mistranslated and could alter other things. If you change something and the change doesn't appear to take, I would highly recommend switching it back. As an example, let's say you enable a low fluid light of some sort and nothing happens, it could just be an unsupported change with no effect but you might have disabled an airbag or something instead. So always check each changed feature and revert it back if it doesn't work to be safe.

One I came across was VSS tire diameter. It listed 7218mm, 7260mm or 7285mm I believe. Mine was defaulted on 7218mm. Unless my conversion math is wrong, I dont have 60 inch wheels.

You could also make your car unable to be driven. While unlikely, changing something like the year of the vehicle from 18 to 14 could freak an immobilizer out. So definitely do any changes in a place the car is OK to be parked at, and be prepared to possibly void warranties or be towed if you forgot what you changed.
    It's good to know the TPMS can be simply turned off, & I feel your warning about changing to many things is a good one. A person should surely document changes as they do them.

The VSS tire diameter is a bit of a mystery to me, too. As I watch others share ETAC options, 1748 mm appears for the tire circumference (1748 mm = 68.8 inches). A 165/65-14 & 175/55-15 tire has a circumference of about 70-71".

7218 mm = 284 inches. Anyone else have some input on that?

Maybe Fummins can let us know if the Canadian Mirages have the TPMS symbol (located just left of the left turn signal arrow) on their km/h instrument panels?

Last edited by Mark; 09-23-2019 at 04:46 AM.