Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a massive NJ pothole

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's nothing. Grab a BFH and fix it, or if that's well outside of your capabilities, find a local shop and ask them their cost to beat it straight again (hello childhood church sermon flashbacks...)

While you don't need to dismount it to fix it, at the least you MUST REMOVE IT FROM THE HUB, and itll be easier to do it with less air. (You wouldnt wail on your axle with a sledge hammer, so dont do it via an inte-rim- metal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

You had me at BFH.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    It was 40psi.
    Not really saying anything new here, but I would just take the wheel off, lay it on the ground with some wood underneath it, & wail on it with a small sledgehammer. I may buffer the blow some with a piece of 2"x4" or something. Then I would have a tire shop check to see if it is running straight & balanced.

If not good, then I would buy a cheap used or new steel rim. As long as the tire is holding air, I would surely start with that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Goodyear bent the wheel back and balanced it and said it looked fine. The alignment didn't even need to be adjusted. Not bad.... I would have beat it back myself but I am not a huge fan of working on it in the street.
    Totally get that. Not everyone has a garage or driveway. Now everything has been checked at the same time, & you know that you are good to go!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Goodyear bent the wheel back and balanced it and said it looked fine. The alignment didn't even need to be adjusted. Not bad.... I would have beat it back myself but I am not a huge fan of working on it in the street.
    That's great news. Thanks for sharing it here, I've no doubt it'll help someone else who has this problem.

Any pictures of the repair, or even your alignment results?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Just like I thought, hell they probably didnt even need to bend it back really. It wasnt that bent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the hubcap on, it could be one of the other wheels & we wouldn't know the difference. Glad it worked out for you!

Thanks for the "after" pics.

3. I tried to upload it to the forum but they all came out sideways so while there was probably some way to fix it I just slapped them up at imgur but they have a pretty good history.
    FYI for everyone: I'd rather look at a sideways picture hosted here than look at no picture if/when imgur changes their photo embedding policies or closes down / gets bought out / ...

It'd be nice if vBulletin would give us the ability to rotate attachments, but they don't plan to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Yep. It's easiest to figure out which way to hold the camera that produces an upright picture here on the forum and stick with that orientation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Grab a can of black tremclad and touch up the bare spots. Rims like to rust real quick when the lip is bare.

Doesn't have to be pretty. 3 light coats, done. I wouldnt even mask the tire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)