Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Mobil 1, other synths on sale at Walmart

  1. #11
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8,121
    Thanks
    3,622
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    They are both made by Warren.
    I see.

    Warren makes custom blends for various private labels. I wouldn't expect the formula to be equal from Amazon Synthetic to SuperTech Synthetic, though I suppose it is possible. I thought that maybe you had some test results proving that they are the same.

    Both good products that exceed Mitsubishi specifications, right? So no worries with either.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.6 mpg (Imp)


  2. #12
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks
    964
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 869 Posts
    Lol, why does every thread that even mentions oil turn into a 'Bob is the Oil Guy' discussion?

    The most important thing you can do as far as oil goes is...keep it changed. I seriously doubt that a Mirage will last longer or die faster depending solely on which exact oil is used for those religious 5,000 mile oil changes. Any synthetic oil is so good now that you can pretty much take your pick.

    I use Mobil 1 for one simple reason...I trust it. It isn't Super Tech cheap, but it isn't Royal Purple expensive, either. I now have 130,000 stop-and-go miles on my car, and when I take my oil filler cap off the engine looks as clean inside as it did when I bought it.

  3. #13
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8,121
    Thanks
    3,622
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Lol, why does every thread that even mentions oil turn into a 'Bob is the Oil Guy' discussion?
    Because no other website goes into such detail discussing lubricants and the various choices out there. I find it interesting how it brings out discussion, even here.

    Don't forget about the Petroleum Quality Institute of America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The most important thing you can do as far as oil goes is...keep it changed. I seriously doubt that a Mirage will last longer or die faster depending solely on which exact oil is used for those religious 5,000 mile oil changes. Any synthetic oil is so good now that you can pretty much take your pick.
    I wonder if it's because of the synthetic base stock or the detergents and additives used these days that helps make it last. I thought the synthetic base stock helps the lubricant flow in cold operation, and the detergents & additives help keep stuff clean. With that in mind, a conventional lubricant would suffice most in warm climates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I use Mobil 1 for one simple reason...I trust it. It isn't Super Tech cheap, but it isn't Royal Purple expensive, either. I now have 130,000 stop-and-go miles on my car, and when I take my oil filler cap off the engine looks as clean inside as it did when I bought it.
    Well said. Now, let's see some pictures.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-20-2019 at 01:30 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.6 mpg (Imp)


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    poorman1 (10-20-2019)

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,978
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 926 Times in 746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I now have 130,000 stop-and-go miles on my car, and when I take my oil filler cap off the engine looks as clean inside as it did when I bought it.
    Thankfully, the Mirage is a durable little car. Your Mirage with 130,000 miles is a testament to that. Likewise, Steve's Mirage has over twice that many miles on his Mirage, & his car had done equally as well on 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles.

    Would these cars being doing as well with longer oil change intervals? Who knows? In Steve's case, he's receiving free oil changes (over 50 of them now). Why not take advantage of that?

    Likewise, Fummins' fleet of Mirages are receiving relatively frequent oil changes. Engine-wise those cars are doing extremely well, too.

  6. #15
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8,121
    Thanks
    3,622
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't mean to totally knock Mobil 1, but they have made buying oil seem like buying Frito-Lay potato chips.
    ...

    By the way - I'm super glad Frito-Lay makes a variety of potato chips. I just don't feel the same way about 0W-20 oil.
    Man, I love some good potato chips. Lays has their own thing going on, but there are some local producers that'll knock your socks off too.

    I can't keep a bag in the house. Once it's open, they don't last. It's better to not even buy them in the first place, they're not exactly healthy haha. In fact, we bought a couple bags for watching Sunday football games - time to buy some more.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.6 mpg (Imp)


  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    gg
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    204
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 83 Times in 53 Posts
    Hey do whatever floats your boat. I am just adding my 2 cents.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)


  8. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,978
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 926 Times in 746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Hey do whatever floats your boat. I am just adding my 2 cents.
    Just for the record - I think you made some excellent points.

    Since Steve's Mirage (270,000 miles) has done so well with conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles, I figure SuperTech full synthetic oil changed every 5,000 miles should do as well or better! SuperTech synthetic isn't much more expensive than conventional oil. Amazon Basics, Mobil 1, & others should also do a great job!

    If a person is using a quality oil filter like the ones you mentioned, 7,500 miles is probably not a big deal! Some of the new Ford vehicles are going with 10,000 mile oil changes, & Motorcraft oils are just a synthetic/blend. Ford must feel 10,000 mile synthetic/blend oil changes will get them past warranty at least.

    I tend to be a bit skeptical of all this, because my first 0W-20 oil vehicle (Subaru) had its engine replaced @ 90,000 miles (zero cost to me). It was burning at least one quart of oil every 1,000 miles. A young friend, who doesn't check his oil level between oil changes, found out that his same type vehicle (5.5 quarts of oil) had 1.5 quarts of oil left (no warning light went off either). That oil change involved a new engine (short block replacement), too.

    Since this was my first synthetic oil vehicle, I changed my oil every 6,000 miles (instead of the recommended 7,500). I used Mobil 1 0W-20. I'm smart enough to realize this problem isn't related to Mobil 1. When I picked up my Forester, 7 other ones were waiting to have their short blocks replaced.

    I am not convinced today's vehicles are made better than the vehicles of 20 years ago. On a personal level, I will no longer pay big bucks for any new vehicle that has a new type of engine &/or transmission. I will only buy vehicles with powertrains that have proven themselves for a number of years first. Auto makers can experiment with someone else's money!

    I did a lot of research before buying my 2017 Mirage ES manual. 2 years later I am still very happy, & I expect to stay that way for quite some time!

  9. #18
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks
    964
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder if it's because of the synthetic base stock or the detergents and additives used these days that helps make it last. I thought the synthetic base stock helps the lubricant flow in cold operation, and the detergents & additives help keep stuff clean.
    The quality...or more specifically...the purity of synthetic base stocks is a large part of it. Refined dino-oil has impurities in the base stock that break down with heat and mileage. Think of them as "weak links" in the oil's molecular chain. No matter how carefully it is refined, these impurities remain.

    Since synthetic is, well...synthetic, it does not have these impurities. Synthetic base stock actually does not break down at all under the conditions found in a normal passenger car engine. It can be re-refined and reused, and some companies actually sell this recycled product and label it as such (like Valvoline NextGen).

    What does break down are the things added deliberately to the base stock, like detergents, viscosity modifiers, etc, and things not added deliberately like unburned fuel, carbon, water vapor, and metal shavings. This is why it needs to be changed.

    But since modern oil additives are so good, synthetic base stocks are so pure, and engines run so clean, we can have 15,000 mile OCIs nowadays.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 10-21-2019 at 08:32 AM.

  10. #19
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,228
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 270 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The quality...or more specifically...the purity of synthetic base stocks is a large part of it. Refined dino-oil has impurities in the base stock that break down with heat and mileage. Think of them as "weak links" in the oil's molecular chain. No matter how carefully it is refined, these impurities remain.

    Since synthetic is, well...synthetic, it does not have these impurities. Synthetic base stock actually does not break down at all under the conditions found in a normal passenger car engine. It can be re-refined and reused, and some companies actually sell this recycled product and label it as such (like Valvoline NextGen).

    What does break down are the things added deliberately to the base stock, like detergents, viscosity modifiers, etc, and things not added deliberately like unburned fuel, carbon, water vapor, and metal shavings. This is why it needs to be changed.

    But since modern oil additives are so good, synthetic base stocks are so pure, and engines run so clean, we can have 15,000 mile OCIs nowadays.
    So in theory if we had a way to purify used synthetic oil and replace the additives it had we have "new" oil ready for another 15k miles? Would a fine enough filter remove all the compounds that matter or is distillation still required? The additives can't be that expensive in bulk so could someone package up the additives to mix in with purified oil?

    I read someone tens of millions of quarts of oil end up not be disposed of properly annually. If synthetic could last forever that's unforgivable. But, I can see why oil companies wouldn't want this inconvenient little fact to become widespread.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  11. #20
    I'M ESSENTIAL Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pyongyang
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    4,129
    Thanks
    1,639
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Sadly unless you live in a part of Canada that doesn't get too hot or too cold and only drive on asphalt you fall under the severe service schedule which calls for 6000kms/3728 mile oil change intervals. Iirc the USA has a different schedule than Canada


    My mom says I'm cool

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •