Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 CVT failing at 87,000 miles .... UPDATE: false alarm

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there anyway we can block Dirk from seeing this thread for his own good?

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-29-2019),Pryme (10-30-2019),Wallythacker (10-30-2019)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    This is a perfect time to do a step by step to show the process of outsourcing a used CVT and actually finding a shop to put it in. With pricing listed too. I thought my CVT was acting weird ubering today. When I went down a really steep hill today (non highway, neighborhood hill) I put my foot aside and didnt touch the gas and instead let gravity do its thing. Instead of it being smooth with 2000ish rpm it rev'ed up fast to like 4000 rpm then fell to 2000rpm at the bottom of the hill. This normal?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Also important question. Does anyone know the color of the OEM Mitsu cvt fluid? I checked the 2014 and the 2017 today and compared. My 2014 cvt fluid is a pale brownish green, the 2017 I think is the same color perhaps a touch darker. Can anyone corroborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Also important question. Does anyone know the color of the OEM Mitsu cvt fluid? I checked the 2014 and the 2017 today and compared. My 2014 cvt fluid is a pale brownish green, the 2017 I think is the same color perhaps a touch darker. Can anyone corroborate?
    That sounds about right for color. I'm bringing in a 19' tomorrow for it's second oil change, I'll take a look again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-30-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That sounds about right for color. I'm bringing in a 19' tomorrow for it's second oil change, I'll take a look again.
    Thank you brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This is a perfect time to do a step by step to show the process of outsourcing a used CVT and actually finding a shop to put it in.
    He hasn't even confirmed there's anything wrong with the CVT. Stop talking like that - you're gonna jinx it!!

My mom has a good saying: "Don't go borrowing trouble."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't driven one with a bad cvt more than 30mph, the latest one we had would shake when coming to a stop.
    The other ones probably had some symptoms but I wasn't made aware of any problems until the car quit moving altogether.

Still, just check your fluid, if it's black that's not usually a good sign. Especially for being replaced relatively recently.

If it is the cvt, you may be able to remove it, tear it open and replace a shaft/bearing assembly and be good to go. But that's if it's caught early enough. Most seem to be driven to the point til metal contaminates the oil so bad that it'll take out bearings, valve body and the baby unicorns.

Hope for the best but expect the worst.

Checked the Fluid last night.... looked clean and very light brown. Called the dealer... they want to look at it and confirm something was reset when a different dealer did the last CVT transmission oil change. He stated that if it's not reset ... the sensor can think it still needs a fluid change.... and it acts funny and protects it self.... here's hoping. When I put it in gear ... the D flashes on the dash or in Nuetral the N flashes. Fluid level was good. Gonna get it to the dealer soon.... here's hoping.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cretbo For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cretbo View Post
    Checked the Fluid last night.... looked clean and very light brown. Called the dealer... they want to look at it and confirm something was reset when a different dealer did the last CVT transmission oil change. He stated that if it's not reset ... the sensor can think it still needs a fluid change.... and it acts funny and protects it self.... here's hoping. When I put it in gear ... the D flashes on the dash or in Nuetral the N flashes. Fluid level was good. Gonna get it to the dealer soon.... here's hoping.
    Definitely find out what that is... I just bought the fluid and filter to do myself on this one I just picked up.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cretbo View Post
    Good luck man!