Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Making the switch to 175 65 r14 Barum Brillistas today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Did US Honda recall all the rusty hunks of junk they made in the late 80s-90s?
    ???

I don't understand - Hondas typically had less rust problems, part of what helped establish them here in North America.

The rust belt is tough on all cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Same mpg today mixed driving 37 mpg. I didnt notice the weird outer tread rubbing after 200 miles so Im guessing the shady Mitsu dealership put those rubbed out Potenzas on my used 2014 or didnt bother to change them.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ???

I don't understand - Hondas typically had less rust problems, part of what helped establish them here in North America.

The rust belt is tough on all cars.
    Recall of dangerous 2007-2011 CRVs
    https://www.moneysense.ca/columns/as...ans-to-owners/

Article about rusty Hondas in general
    https://www.torquenews.com/3769/desp...lems-their-own

You couldn't get me to take a Honda for free, except the Fit.

ETA: Honda had to recall all Accords to either fix or buyback them due to the engine subframe rust. Not one Accord that I'm aware of escaped. I don't know what most people did. Smart money would take the buyback and source a Toyota.

Civics didn't escape either. They all had rusted out wheel wells and rear frame assemblies. IIRC the rust started ~1984 and didn't let up until it all came to light around ~1994. I wanted so badly to own a CRX two seat sport job and could not find a single one in Ontario, regardless of mileage, that didn't have significant rust on every seam.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 11-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Hondas are not worse than any other model when it comes to rust, and I see Lots of other cars, trucks, vans & SUV with rust in the same locations mentioned in the TN article.

Plus I thought you were addressing 80s-90s, not 21st century.

Anyway, I still don't see what you're saying - at least from here at the center of the Rust Belt.

Hey, all that aside - here's hoping that the Mirage has no such worries.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    But those other vehicles you see weren't recalled because they could fail structurally. Hondas rusted enough to be safety hazards. That's the difference. I used the 21st century to show Hondas still don't have a complete handle on rust control and have structurally unsafe cars. First gen CRVs are also notorious for rust at seams junctures. Do note only Hondas from Ontario to the east are affected. It could have been the same in the rusty 80-90s.

While you don't see a lot of 80-90s Toyotas and Nissans on Ontario roads you don't see any Hondas from that era. I still see late 90's era Pontiac Sunfires, Cavaliers, the occasional Buick, Olds but never a Honda.

I'm not saying they are bad cars, but they do, at least in Ontario, have a horrible history of being unsafe from rusting.

And yes, it appears the Mirage is having none of this. That's fantastic.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    But those other vehicles you see weren't recalled because they could fail structurally. Hondas rusted enough to be safety hazards. That's the difference. I used the 21st century to show Hondas still don't have a complete handle on rust control and have structurally unsafe cars. First gen CRVs are also notorious for rust at seams junctures. Do note only Hondas from Ontario to the east are affected. It could have been the same in the rusty 80-90s.

While you don't see a lot of 80-90s Toyotas and Nissans on Ontario roads you don't see any Hondas from that era. I still see late 90's era Pontiac Sunfires, Cavaliers, the occasional Buick, Olds but never a Honda.

I'm not saying they are bad cars, but they do, at least in Ontario, have a horrible history of being unsafe from rusting.

And yes, it appears the Mirage is having none of this. That's fantastic.
    How do we know what a car (Mirage 2014+) will look like in 20-30 years?

I really disagree with what is being said here. GM cars aren't anything special when it comes to comes to rust prevention.

A friend of mine is replacing his 2011 Chevy Equinox, because he can't pick up his vehicle with a jack to change a tire. He tried 4 different spots and the jack starting going through the frame in all of them. Granted he may not have washed his vehicle enough, but his 2003 Pontiac Vibe (which is a Toyota Matrix) is 8 years older and has 60,000+ more miles, & it is perfectly fine. I'm sorry, but a 2011 vehicle that's rusted out that bad is just lame.

My daughter drives a 2003 Honda Civic, and it still looks pretty good for a car that age. If Honda bought back the first generation Honda CRV AWD 5-speed today, I would be buying one tomorrow. I would not say that about any other vehicle. I still like those vehicles (very functional & not very flashy), and there are plenty of them still on the road in our area.

I like the new Suzuki Jimny (body attached to a metal frame). I believe those vehicles will do a better job of withstanding the test of time. Wish someone would partner up with Suzuki and bring them over here.

By the way - are we a bit off topic here?
    Last edited by Mark; 11-05-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    No such thing as off topic in a Diggler thread lol. I encourage stream of consciousness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No such thing as off topic in a Diggler thread lol. I encourage stream of consciousness.
    That's the spirit old bean!

I can't believe Ontario has more brutal conditions, than say, Fargo. Is that ND? I dunno. Speaking of Suzuki you won't find any Sidekicks or Samurais from the 90's still alive. They all rotted. I'm not, by any stretch, advocating Gm as rust proof vehicles, but at the end of the day the Asian cars from the 80, 90s, and in some cases 00s and beyond are rusting so badly they are being recalled before they fail structurally and kill someone, if they haven't already. I'm not aware of any NA designed/built cars recalled for the same reasons. If someone can point out it has happened I'd like to read about it.

I'm guessing that high mileage Mirages driven in salty conditions would be demonstrating generous rust if they were prone to it. My experience is if a car will be pre-disposed to rusting it surfaces within the first 3 years or so. I've also noticed if a car can be driven a lot quickly, much like my 239,000 km '14 and many of the Mirages Fummins looks after, without showing signs of rust chances are it will go on for many more years without any severe degradation from rust.

Modern cars have come a long way from when our 1970 Ltd wagon, brand new in October of 1969, lost the spare tire on the highway in March of 1970 because the well had rusted completely away in a 6 month span!. It was crap like that which the US Feds to act and insist on a corrosion warranty from the automakers.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I just watched a special on Vancouver. Whats up with that town? Apparently its so expensive to live there, they cant find labor to work in their hotels, restaurants, retail stores etc. because housing is so unbelievably expensive? Its like the Canadian San Francisco. I dont think the divide between the rich and poor has ever been wider in North America, sadly.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I just watched a special on Vancouver. Whats up with that town? Apparently its so expensive to live there, they cant find labor to work in their hotels, restaurants, retail stores etc. because housing is so unbelievably expensive? Its like the Canadian San Francisco. I dont think the divide between the rich and poor has ever been wider in North America, sadly.
    It's been called Hongcouver for ages, Asian money has driven prices into the stratosphere. I've a buddy living there who just sold his bungalow for close to $2M. He paid ~$110,000 in the early 90's thinking it might some day be worth $200k. It is a wartime house, ~700 sq. ft, basically unimproved over the years. It will be demolished and a 4,000 sq. ft. 2-3 story house will take the place.

The divide is insane and it's because money and debt are now interchangeable. It's dangerous when debt is a fungible a item as cash. The world is awash in debt and at some point it has to be repaid, or repudiated. I read somewhere 7 million Americans have decided to stop paying their car loans. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...6PZWUE7Rsod-lR