Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing a trailer with the Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here's my newest towing rig. It's the 4'x4' (40"x48" usable) aluminum from Amazon but made by Ultra-Tow. I bought it direct with free shipping early in 2020 for $199 US. In late Feb/2020 I picked it up the day before the border closed. I finally got around to assembling it. Here is it mounted on my Mirage.

Remarkable its rated for 1060 lbs cargo, meaning it + the cargo is about 1200 lbs, which is over the Mirage gvwr of 900 lbs but even if you cut way back on the cargo there's still a range of 700-900lbs you can tow in near total safety.

Name:  AL trailer moded.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  97.4 KB

It's really light, the manual says 135 lbs and I believe it. Take away the steel/rubber wheels/springs/hub/axle and the remaining AL probably weights all of 50/60 lbs. It pulls like a charm, I've had, I guess, over 770 lbs on it so far, a platform of plywood and 750 lbs of salt and sand for the winter. DI have any regrets? YEP. I shoulda bought 2, or 3. The last price I could find for it was $500 US and it was back ordered, maybe even disc0'd.

Here's another pic, just because I can Name:  AL trailer modded 2.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  97.5 KB

Finally, it appears they might still make the 4'x8' foldable model. It's $1000 US, more or less, but perhaps it will be on sale one day. It's marginally heavier, 195 lbs leaving you with still 970 lbs of 1000 lbs of cargo. If I ever see them I will buy 2. Here's a pic

Name:  AL-4by8-trailer.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  21.7 KB

Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-07-2022 at 12:14 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-07-2022),inuvik (12-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Here's my newest towing rig. It's the 4'x4' (40"x48" usable) aluminum from Amazon but made by Ultra-Tow. I bought it direct with free shipping early in 2020 for $199 US. In late Feb/2020 I picked it up the day before the border closed. I finally got around to assembling it. Here is it mounted on my Mirage.

Remarkable its rated for 1060 lbs cargo, meaning it + the cargo is about 1200 lbs, which is over the Mirage gvwr of 900 lbs but even if you cut way back on the cargo there's still a range of 700-900lbs you can tow in near total safety.
    Northern Tool & Equipment carries Ultra Tow trailers in the States -

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...owing+trailers

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mark, thanks

I'll be watching for sales on either one of the larger AL trailers. I wasn't aware of the 5x8 model. I would prefer it to the 4x8, the capacity is almost double but the weight isn't much more.

The difference in price between the steel and AL is very large. When I bought mine the steel regular price was about $200 so getting the AL on sale for that amount was a good deal. I think the AL was about $250-270 regular price. Now it's $490!! That's an insane jump in less than 18 months.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    The only issue I have with the trailers above are the little wheels and tires. However, pulling a reasonable load with the Mirage, those tires would be fine, as I'm not planning on towing anything super heavy with the Mirage. When I bought my 5'x10' utility trailer, I didn't have the Mirage, and wanted a big wheel and tire for the durability. I think the wheel / tire combo on my utility trailer is larger than the wheels / tires on the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The only issue I have with the trailers above are the little wheels and tires. However, pulling a reasonable load with the Mirage, those tires would be fine, as I'm not planning on towing anything super heavy with the Mirage. When I bought my 5'x10' utility trailer, I didn't have the Mirage, and wanted a big wheel and tire for the durability. I think the wheel / tire combo on my utility trailer is larger than the wheels / tires on the Mirage.
    The 12" tires on the Ultra Tow trailers are actually a good size for that type of trailer. I am surprised they come with that large of a tire.

I have a steel 4' x 8' tilt bed trailer that I bought brand new in 1994 for $387. I use that trailer for everything. A yard of gravel (over 1 ton) makes the 12" tires squat some, but I went with 6 ply tires when I replaced the originals. I also don't pull a yard of gravel more than 15 miles or so with my Forester. I got my 3rd pair of tires put on last summer.

My steel trailer doesn't look pretty after 28 years, but I also don't cringe when I have someone dump a yard of gravel into it either.

I would like to upgrade to a 5' x 10' aluminum trailer some day, but it would have to be built strong enough to haul my compact 4WD diesel tractor with a rototiller or mower on the 3 point hitch. I think that load weighs more than my Kawasaki Mule 610 4x4. Both of these fit on my current trailer, but just barely. A 5' x 10' would be a nice upgrade.

In all honesty, I like my tilt bed trailer. I don't have to deal with any ramps. I just remove the rear board, put it on the rear, as I drive up it, the bed tilts down, once the front tires of my tractor, riding lawn mower, ATV, & UTV reaches the bed I am good. Once driven on, it comes back down & locks into place. I slip my rear board back in, & I am loaded.

I replaced my washing machine last week. The salesman just pushed the front of the box (mounted on an appliance cart) onto my tilted bed while I went to the front & pushed the bed down. At that point, we could just slide the box to the front on a level trailer, & I tied it down to my simple upright cart. I tied down the cart in all directions & off I went!

When I bought my 4' x 8' trailer, I was pulling it with a 1989 Plymouth Colt station wagon. I have zero desire to ever own a pickup truck. Trailers are cheap (even by today's standards).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know what the hell homedepot is doing. they have similar trailers to Northern but galvanized. I get concerned when I see a galv trailer with a capacity of 1320 lbs. and weighs 230 lbs. for 1550 lbs. gvw. with 4.80-8 tires! I don't know of any that size with a load rating of 775 lbs. Or there aren't any I would trust on a hot day @65mph loaded to the max. Let's not forget that steel much heavier than AL so are these galv trailers using 18ga steel (.040") ? I think so.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mar...2090?rrec=true

Speaking of tires, Amazon sells these:
    https://www.amazon.com/4-80-8-Traile...0437042&sr=8-9

The text makes it clear these are load rated for 760 lbs. @90PSI!!! Jesus Did you know above 55psi you should have a solid brass air valve or you run the risk of the valve rupturing at speed? Now for the bizarro. Zoom in on the sidewall and read Load 450kg (990 lbs) @90PSI !!! Nearly 1/2 ton.

Would anyone here load these things to 990 lbs @90PSI then run them @65mph on a 90F day? You would have to be out of your mind. AFAIK, load range C is limited to 50psi MAX, D allows 65psi

Even Kenda, a brand I have used for years requires a 5.70-8 @50PSI to carry 715 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Trailer...s%2C308&sr=8-4

All those numbers I trust and believe. Those other tires above< pffft, IMO a crash waiting to happen.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-07-2022 at 06:09 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My first car was a 1960 Peugeot 403, 60 hp hemi, 4 speed on the column, the worse heating and vent system followed by wipers in known history. No hitch made so had a welding shop cobble one up. Towed motorcycles and even tandem axle trailers with a junk car on it. Not so much the horse power as it is the transmission and how you use the combination. I can see the cvt might be the weak link in the Mitsu. But the bike rack should be no problem as towing a light trailer full of sticks. Towing a junk Tesla west of Denver to St. George, UT is out.
    Karl

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well today was one of the most interesting days in a long time.

I had a 400 mile round trip to get a lawn tractor. I was using my tiny ultimate AL trailer. It towed nicely to London, the half way point. I knew before I left the tires were low but I figured cool day, no load, 55mph, no problem. I was right. But at my 1st stop to get some diamond plate I thought, gee, the Mirage tires look low. Hmm. NBD. I'll just fill them with the trailer tires next gas station I see.
    For giggles I dug out my air gauge and just about dropped over dead.

The trailer tires were 10! PSI. Yep. Yet it towed great.
    The Mirage tires were 18! PSI!. All 4! No wonder my mileage was off, the handling was odd, wet traction was horrible.

I can't for the life of me figure out how I missed such an obvious item. I've been on top of fluids/filters/bulbs/blades. I guess with my trips to the hospital that somehow messed things up. I dunno. Anyhow, aired them up to 45PSI and the trailer to 55 PSI and loaded up my new tractor and had an uneventful drive home. I never noticed the tractor. My mileage, 48 mpg IMP is pretty good considering I was driving on flat tires for half the trip.

Here's a pic of the rig all loaded:Name:  IMG_20221208_165417[1].jpg
Views: 418
Size:  92.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20221208_165332[1].jpg
Views: 392
Size:  92.0 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-09-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Well today was one of the most interesting days in a long time.

Here's a pic of the rig all loaded:
    Just wondering - Do you have a wiring harness set up on your Mirage for towing?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just wondering - Do you have a wiring harness set up on your Mirage for towing?
    It's basic, I find these Curt gizmos allow fast/easy/reliable wiring

https://www.amazon.ca/Curt-Manufactu...6-a873b186bc68

They are pricy for what they are BUT pre LED taillight Mirages can use these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Curt-Manufactu...7-a328b1574c67

They do last forever.

Having a few hours to think my recent trips over I'm amazed at the ability of our little cars. Using the hitch rack with 200+ lb. snowblowers caused no problems at all. I have no qualms loading the rack to the limit of 300 lb. Now, I have no idea if that amount of weight bouncing over bumps will stress the mounting points of the hitch. I would make darn sure my hitch was torqued to specs.

As far as a regular hitch/trailer as long as the load is within the GVWR and the load is distributed properly with a tongue weight not exceeding 75 lb. I think you can tow a trailer all day long without any issues, caveats: With a 5MT. I personally would not want to stress a CVT. Even though Mits somehow gets incredible life from a Jatco CVT I just wouldn't. The other caveat is wind loading. My empty gutted camper trailer is noticeable behind the Mirage simply because it's like pushing a 2' x 6' board through the air. Mind, that resistance is the same with the trailer empty or carrying it's limit of 500 lb. Even though the camper is rated 1950 GVWR I personally limit my use of a trailer to 900 lb. GVWR. That is cheating as it means I need to weigh zero to stay within the Mirage GVWR.

I make up for that cheating by observing passengers and luggage in the GVWR when using my trailer.

I'm really hoping Northern decides to have a GOOD sale on the 5x8 AL trailer. I'd even strongly think about the folding 4x8 AL if the price was right, meaning $750 CDN all in. Hey, my 4x8 was about $260 CDN all in. If home depot slashed their galv trailer price I would take a good look.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-09-2022 at 06:21 AM.