Thread: Towing a trailer with the Mirage?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Years ago, I pulled a 13' fiberglass travel trailer behind my 77 VW bus, with an 18' aluminum canoe tied on top of the bus and the bus loaded for a 2-week vacation. Still got about 20 mpg (close to its hwy rating), but top speed on flat ground was 55 mph and more like 45 going up hills. The combination was actually more stable in side winds than the bus was by itself.

I also pulled a 4x8 flatbed trailer, often very heavily loaded, behind a Saturn SL1 sedan several times. The car didn't have any special rear suspension, so you had to know how to balance a trailer when loading it, so the tongue weight didn't get too heavy. I never had much trouble, if the load wasn't tall enough to add much wind resistance.

I have loaded the interior of my 2015 Mirage heavily only one time, and the amount of additional acceleration and braking time, and the amount of dip I got going over bumps, together were enough to make me not very optimist about the Mirage as a trailer towing vehicle. But having seen some of the tiny, light weight trailers people have posted pictures in this thread, and seeing them being used to tow rather small, light weight loads, I can imagine it might make more sense to carry those things on a trailer than trying to put the same weight or bulk either inside of or on top of a Mirage.

I might look into those air springs described above, simply to give my Mirage more capability with interior loads, but I doubt I'd ever consider putting any sort of hitch on my Mirage. I have bigger vehicles expressly for hauling big loads (like 40 bales of hay at one time). If I had beefy enough ramps, I could probably put the Mirage inside the back of my little Chevy box truck. The Mirage is for little loads, the truck is for big loads.
    Last edited by DonkeyPal; 04-30-2019 at 11:00 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

bzacon (05-01-2019)