Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing a trailer with the Mirage?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I really would like to tow things with mine, but EU type approval was without a tow hitch. Even just putting one on for attaching a bycycle is not allowed. Doing otherwise would invalidate the insurance and my driver licence, and I would certainly end up in jail.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (04-07-2024),mohammad (10-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I really would like to tow things with mine, but EU type approval was without a tow hitch. Even just putting one on for attaching a bycycle is not allowed. Doing otherwise would invalidate the insurance and my driver licence, and I would certainly end up in jail.
    I really like my used rear hitch I added to my Mirage. It allows me to use my very nice rear hitch bike carrier I have had for decades.

I feel blessed to live in a country that doesn't lock up people for using a certain type of bike carrier on their car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I feel blessed to live in a country that doesn't lock up people for using a certain type of bike carrier on their car!
    Mark while I agree with you, perhaps where foama lives, they don't have the sheer amount of crime, and the level of crime we have here. Law enforcement over here have better things to do with their time than to bother locking people up over (minor) car mods.

I'll admit, I don't know Germany. What I gather is that it used to be a very safe place because citizens generally respected each other. As of late, there seems to be an influx of people that don't have the same morals. But like I said, I don't know. In the U.S., there are lots of people who have no respect for others, property, law, law enforcement, life, etc. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

I saw a weird one the other day. A pickup with a sled/quad deck on the back towing a gooseneck trailer. I'm hoping they cut a hole in the deck to reach the hitch rather than bolt a trailer ball to the deck. I didn't get a chance to get close enough to see exactly wth I was looking at.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I saw a weird one the other day. A pickup with a sled/quad deck on the back towing a gooseneck trailer. I'm hoping they cut a hole in the deck to reach the hitch rather than bolt a trailer ball to the deck. I didn't get a chance to get close enough to see exactly wth I was looking at.
    Considering you're out west I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the gooseneck onto the ball welded on the deck.

Not too long ago the redneck thing in Ontario was to pull your runabout boat (or ATVs) behind your dual axle camper trailer. Once, and only once, I saw a F250 with a 28' dual axle house trailer pulling the two quad ATVs trailer with a single Sea Doo trailer on the end. Obviously another disaster in the making so the law changed quickly to ban it.

If I had to leave Canada I'd find somewhere in Europe that aligns closer with the US than the UK. They exist. Enough said.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Not too long ago the redneck thing in Ontario was to pull your runabout boat (or ATVs) behind your dual axle camper trailer.
    Last time I checked, this was legal to do in the U.S. But the first trailer pulled by the truck had to be a 5th wheel. And there was a maximum length limit (which I doubt would ever be checked unless the combo was like 200 feet long).

Would I do such a thing? Depends on if my woman wanted me to, and how hot she was.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

That's legal here too. 65' is the max length. I'm pretty sure it's legal in Sask too, it's definitely not legal in BC.
    I have seen cops measuring people a couple times. I've got a friend who tows like that, crew cab, short box, single axle 1 ton dodge, pulling a 29ish' fifth wheel and a 14' utility trailer behind that. He's a really good backer upper.
    It's relatively common to see out this way. A few years ago I saw an F150 pulling a 26' ish fifth wheel and a big utility trailer behind it. The guy was in his 70's and said he just drove slow and took backroads...From 4hrs away lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-21-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Last time I checked, this was legal to do in the U.S. But the first trailer pulled by the truck had to be a 5th wheel. And there was a maximum length limit (which I doubt would ever be checked unless the combo was like 200 feet long).

Would I do such a thing? Depends on if my woman wanted me to, and how hot she was.
    Ahaha! I have a vision of Dumb and Dumber behind the wheel of a Volks microbus with a 32' house trailer behind and behind that is a 32' Carver flybridge all going down the Interstate about 15 mph.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about getting a lightweight trailer when I decide to move again (I just moved today). These are about 350-450 lbs. Hopefully I can keep the weight under 1,000 lbs. Name:  PMredMinivan1-400.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  12.5 KBName:  YW-redFront1-375.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  11.6 KB
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-22-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So the lightweight 'Yuppie' trailers are no longer made in the US. Company website is no longer active. I think there's one in Canada but import fees might be too much. Is it a good idea to pull a teardrop trailer with the mirage? About 950lbs.

Name:  Kestrel-small-9868-1024x683.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  80.1 KBName:  Kestrel-small-9891-1024x683.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  79.6 KBName:  Kestrel-small-9911-1024x683.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  92.2 KBName:  Kestrel-small-9913-1024x683.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  94.2 KB

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire