Thread: 17,250 mile late winter car-camp

Country
    United States
    Thanks

17,250 mile late winter car-camp

I left in early February and got back in early April. General route was STL to the UP passed the Soo thru Ontario to New England, then back to STL for a pit stop before going up passed the ID panhandle over thru the Elkhorns and John Day to Willamette Valley down passed Eugene back up to Willamette Pass back up through John Day back into the Elkhorns then down thru ID into UT over to Rangely down into the i70 corridor, bounced around that area for a week, then thru some mountains into NM then thru the SW to Tahoe/Sac then back. Saw friends and fam, wrapped up visiting every resort Vail owns or leases in NA, and skied/snowboarded at some non-gaper ski hills.

The cut in the Snow Masters had been there for 40,000 miles. I'd put those tires on in December '22, never took them off. They went on 10,000 miles of hot summer road trips, including the SW in July, from the dirt switch-backs of Grand Mesa to the radiator-station highways of AZ. Props to them for holding up.

I doubt I would have been able to do all this with an automatic. I've put over 100k on this puppy in under 3 years (plus 80k on another car in under 4 years), been through blizzards and down forest roads, usually with traction control off and in whatever gear I needed given any moment of traction. Maybe it's the engine braking, but I'll be doing my first pad swap next week, with plenty of pad left. I pushed them to their max going down mount washington when I had to pull over to let them cool so they'd stop knocking.

Lastly, CalTrans requires chains for non-AWD vehicles on Donner Pass when it's above freezing and there's wet asphalt shoulder-to-shoulder. You'll never find me in Tahoe between August and June again, what a headache. At least I only had to fill up on $6.50 gas once, and only about 8 gallons of it.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    '21 1.2 MT

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coolflippers For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-22-2024),Fummins (04-23-2024),inuvik (04-22-2024),OrganicFoxes (04-23-2024)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like an awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

coolflippers (04-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    coolflippers - I'm glad you got to do all that! Those Snow *******s sound like some very useful tires. You sure wore 'em down.

I'm wondering about your in-car-camping set-up. It looks like you removed the rear seat backs, kept the rear seat cushions (the part that is sat on). Is that right?

And if there was something you could change or improve with your camping set-up, I'd love to hear it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

coolflippers (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    rear seat cushions
    I took those out, too. I put the bolts back in, in order to prevent moisture from rusting out the bolt holes. One of the bolts would have been uncomfortable were I to have put it back in, so I bought one from Ace's to patch that hole for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    change or improve
    I'd get a roof rack. For trips where I don't need to parallel park, I'd add a light trailer. I need to figure out hooks for window shades. I'm not sure how to handle ventilation were I to car-camp in humid hot areas. I am going to try a double bed for a two-person trip, then use boards when sleeping placed across the front door window sills with baggage moved on top of the boards for the night. I used a cheap RV mattress cut to fit and doubled up, but I threw it away after the trip and am looking to get a firm foam mattress between 8 and 12 inches. The bedding on the front seats needs to be figured out, ideally cutting some more foam mattress to level it out, though it is also a good use of space to stack up some bulkier items, such as soft luggage or bigger clothing items folded up, which is what I did on this trip (winter trip, plenty of clothing items to stack up the front seat to the level of the mattress). I need to make washable mattress covers, and then get a vac bag to store them. I think it might be possible to compress them on the road using vacuums at car washes for longer multi-modal trips when I only need the mattresses so often.
    '21 1.2 MT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good info. I used to have a canopy. It was something like 8' x 20'. Metal poles, canvas top, stretchy tethers to hold the canvas top in place. A bit bulky packaging those metal poles. But assembly was easy and fairly quick. Now, imagine this.

I tow around my 5'x10' utility trailer, easily carrying the canopy in all its pieces. And carry some bedding wherever. When I get ready to sleep / camp, I set up the canopy, back the trailer up under the canopy, put my Glock under my pillow, then sleep like a baby on an inflating foam mattress and comfy bedding stuff on the floor of the trailer, under the canopy. Strap the canopy to the trailer so wind / rain won't launch it. I used to do this, parking a 1988 Chevy Suburban Scottsdale with a standard mattress in the bed area of that truck. Left the windows down, rear doors open, pulled the bulbs out of the overhead lights. Had a breeze from heaven through the truck all night, it was awesome rain or dry.

It would be quite perfect on the bed of a utility trailer. The only downside is to have to be towing the trailer around all the time. But other than that, 35 mpg pulling the trailer and a really quite nice place to sleep, cheap. Could even stealth camp in many places. Fun! I'd rather not have to tow the trailer. But I would imagine it getting stuffy in the car when warm and humid. And then there's the compromising of the interior of the car (like removing the rear seat backs, or cushions, or both) to make a sleeping area.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I thought I wouldn't break my fat neck I would look into something like this...

https://rooftentutopia.com/product/d...ptent-140s-lw/
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Basic - There's a lot I don't like about that. I could be wrong in all cases.

• It doesn't look like it would store well in the car.
    • I don't think I would want to add a roof rack or whatever may be needed to not damage the roof.
    • It looks like moving in the tent would cause a lot of sway up in the tent because of the vehicle suspension, moved out by the distance up to the tent, and levered further out from the suspension.
    • The tent is directly exposed to wind, rain, bright sunlight (but most tents would be anyway).
    • I too, might break my ass, falling out, climbing up, climbing out.
    • I might break the roof.