Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage pickup truck

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    A truck that small...and presumably affordable...would have to be made in the US to avoid the Chicken Tax. But building in the US isn't cheap, either, and Mitsubishi no longer has a factory here.

The profit margin isn't there. Best we can hope for is a rebadged Nissan Frontier.
    Not to mention I read/heard the old Mitsu plant was sold to one the latest electric car ventures, No link. When I worked at Ford I learned their cheapest full size vehicle to build was a cargo van, with a pickup very close behind.

Let's say for the sake of arguement the last Ranger was sold for half of the normal MSRP as it was a model closeout. They sold, loaded, for about $11,000. Normal price $22k. I just built a $41k US Ranger, at the Ford site, likely about $55k CDN.

My point. There's been no inflation in the world in our near zero interest rate environment. Aren't we lucky?

If we were at traditional interest rates of 7% mortgage, 5% savings the Mirage would have MSRP of $4,999, the Ranger above would be $20K US, etc. Everything is all messed up.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    I grew up driving farm trucks that worked extremely hard (hauling corn, oats, silage, hay bales, 100 pound burlap bags of feed, overloaded with bags of fertilizer & seed, firewood, etc....) Plus, they pulled large loads of baled hay, gravity boxes of corn & oats, and large chopper boxes full of silage. These trucks were 3/4 ton with overload springs and RWD. I don't remember anyone owning a 4WD truck when I was young.

If a truck has carpeted floors in the cab, it's not really a truck in my mind. Real trucks wouldn't need WeatherTech floor mats!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    Fummins, I just sold off my two remaining Isuzus and my 84 cj7 with 2.2 Isuzu 58hp diesel.
    You had a diesel CJ-7? Talk about rare. How did you find that, and how did it drive for you?

Would that Jeep and a trailer fit your criteria?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm with you, but I doubt we'll see them imported here.

Wikipedia: Mitsubishi Minicab

Not sure if this is what you meant. Actually I know this is not what you meant, but you reminded me of it.
    Look at the door handles, the same as the Mirage's door handles. That's the same parts bin at the Mitsubishi factory. I think the 1.2 l engine in the current Mirage, is literally originally from this kai truck.

I think the VW Rabbit pickup in the 80s had the idea Bristol is talking about, front-wheel drive pickup. I think everything is geared towards big cars and big trucks in the USA, so people know the rationale behind economy trucks and cars, but it doesn't gather the masses' steam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Look at the door handles, the same as the Mirage's door handles. That's the same parts bin at the Mitsubishi factory. I think the 1.2 l engine in the current Mirage, is literally originally from this kai truck.
    According to wikipedia this is currently a rebadged Suzuki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Carry

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 11-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't they make four wheel drive versions of these?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes Sir

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think the 1.2 l engine in the current Mirage, is literally originally from this kai truck.
    I looked but couldn't find a 1.2 3-cylinder listed. Can you point out what engine you're talking about?

From what I can find the 3A9 series engines were developed under DaimlerChrysler and used in the 2003+ Colt & 2004-2006 Smart Forfour.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I looked but couldn't find a 1.2 3-cylinder listed. Can you point out what engine you're talking about?

From what I can find the 3A9 series engines were developed under DaimlerChrysler and used in the 2003+ Colt & 2004-2006 Smart Forfour.
    Wait our mirage engine was designed by Chrysler? That doesn't sound right. I hope not lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-22-2019)