bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello from Auckland New Zealand

Took a GLS CVT for a test drive today.

First impression, its noisy.
    My current vehical is a 1996 diesel Toyota starlet auto.

Second impression, not a great deal of power. OK around town but not much in reserve out on motorway. Although that may be because of the power delivery through the CVT, ie no kickdown.

Otherwise its a nice car. Is easy to park. Steering is light. Nice interior. Large boot

The dealer has offered me a LS CVT that is one of their courtesy cars. 6,000 km for $16,000 drive away. Which is $3,640 cheaper than new. Plus comes with the full new car warranty.

Am seriously considering the offer.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome. Please let us know if you get the mirage or decide not to.
    The starlet must get good economy with the diesel engine?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I don't really understand what would the problem be on the highways. Why are people so obsessed on highway power? To begin with, speed limit would be 60 MPH or 100 km/hour on most roads and police won't arrest you for driving at 80 km/h or 55 MPH (just under the speed limit). This car has enough power to get to the speed (I own manual 1.0L and I only need 3rd gear to get to 100 km/h, if I push it I can get there on 2nd gear but no, bad for engine). Once you're at the highway, turn on cruise control and just cruise away?

If your drive to get the car is the economical driving (low fuel consumption) and low price, get this car. I have driven it 10k KM and yes sometimes I miss the instant power when you need to evade dangerous situations in the city. but I have never had any problem on highways (speed limit in Holland is 130 km/h and unlimited at some highways in Germany). If you want more power, sacrifice fuel consumption and get a 2.0L+ engine (I love my Galant).

Good luck with your choises, I love this car now, it's a small cute and marvellous to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Hi and welcome. Please let us know if you get the mirage or decide not to.
    The starlet must get good economy with the diesel engine?
    Thanks for welcome. Have had the starlet for 15 years. But have never found it to be very economical. The best on a trip, open road sticking to less than 90 km, has been 6.3 l/100km. Though I never get worst than 7/100km even round town.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks for welcome. Have had the starlet for 15 years. But have never found it to be very economical. The best on a trip, open road sticking to less than 90 km, has been 6.3 l/100km. Though I never get worst than 7/100km even round town.
    I am surprised that the diesel starlet uses that much fuel. I have an Mazda 626 1985 model 2l diesel engine I consistently get 4.8l/100klm. Yes I know yours is an auto and mine is a 5 speed manual your starlet is a lot smaller and lighter I would expect you would get at least similar economy.
    Has the starlet always been using that much or has it got higher as it ages?

Thanks Jamie

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Have had vehicle since 60,000 is now 280,000 and always had similar fuel useage

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Oh wow loads of differences in fuel usage. But as far as I know 626 is very economical for a car that size and age. My uncle borrowed my Galant for a few months and he kept telling me that his old 626 is way more economical (too bad it broke down beyond repair while my Galant still up and running perfectly).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    I am surprised that the diesel starlet uses that much fuel. I have an Mazda 626 1985 model 2l diesel engine I consistently get 4.8l/100klm. Yes I know yours is an auto and mine is a 5 speed manual your starlet is a lot smaller and lighter I would expect you would get at least similar economy.
    Has the starlet always been using that much or has it got higher as it ages?

Thanks Jamie
    I didn't realise u guys got the diesel 626. Is that engine turboed. The starlet is not. But is still quite grunty. Which is why I was a little disappointed with the power of the mirage.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I didn't realise u guys got the diesel 626. Is that engine turboed. The starlet is not. But is still quite grunty. Which is why I was a little disappointed with the power of the mirage.
    Yes we got them but been told it was around 20-200 was all we got here apparently. No turbo
    Can be interesting to get parts for this 626 as parts stores often have no listing then they tell me it does not exist so I take them out to show them the car then they often tell me it is a grey import then I show them the original sales receipt from Mazda Australia
    We did not get the starlet diesel that I know of.

Cheers Jamie

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=jamiec;5471]Yes we got them but been told it was around 20-200 was all we got here apparently. No turbo
    Can be interesting to get parts for this 626 as parts stores often have no listing then they tell me it does not exist so I take them out to show them the car then they often tell me it is a grey import then I show them the original sales receipt from Mazda Australia
    We did not get the starlet diesel that I know of.

The starlet was a jap import. I think I remember the import version of your car was called a mazda cappella. And the diesel versions were supercharged diesels