Thread: Airplane turbulence

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Airplane turbulence

The last few days have been quite windy at times in the Portland area. And my work has taken me home on 205, which has a large, uncovered bridge with 'Wind Gusts' signs at the beginning. What does this have to do with airplane turbulence? When I'm flying and we are experiencing a rather rough patch of turbulence, I imagine the Captain white knuckling it in the cockpit, fighting to keep the plane steady. Well, that's pretty much exactly what it felt like driving my 2100 something lb G4 over that bridge during our super windy times. I was white knuckling it, getting blown around like a kite. It felt like I was in an airplane during turbulence. I had to have looked like a drunk driver, getting tossed around the lanes. Thankfully it was mostly just during that bridge (even if it IS kinda long lol). I fully understand that same lightness helps me get my crazy amazing MPG, and that's something I get everyday while windy conditions aren't. But dang, I'm never gonna be like "oh I'll get use to my G4 in high wind conditions". Nope lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    The last few days have been quite windy at times in the Portland area. And my work has taken me home on 205, which has a large, uncovered bridge with 'Wind Gusts' signs at the beginning. What does this have to do with airplane turbulence? When I'm flying and we are experiencing a rather rough patch of turbulence, I imagine the Captain white knuckling it in the cockpit, fighting to keep the plane steady. Well, that's pretty much exactly what it felt like driving my 2100 something lb G4 over that bridge during our super windy times. I was white knuckling it, getting blown around like a kite. It felt like I was in an airplane during turbulence. I had to have looked like a drunk driver, getting tossed around the lanes. Thankfully it was mostly just during that bridge (even if it IS kinda long lol). I fully understand that same lightness helps me get my crazy amazing MPG, and that's something I get everyday while windy conditions aren't. But dang, I'm never gonna be like "oh I'll get use to my G4 in high wind conditions". Nope lol.
    Car pool with some fat, overweight friends on those type of days, and that might help!

If it's really windy, I've noticed it on other vehicles that I have owned in the past. Driving a 1999 Ford Explorer for a length of time on a windy day was exhausting to me. I can feel the wind impacting my Forester, but it doesn't hold its own a little better than the Mirage. Overall, the rear sway bar on my 2017 Mirage ES manual has made a huge difference. It still gets pushed around slightly, but not nearly as bad. My former 1997 VW Golf was surely more stable in the wind, but also horrible in the snow.

I've concluded the perfect do it all vehicle doesn't exist. If you want the affordable, reliable, and economical, the Mirage excels at that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My '17 HB gets blown pretty easy too. The 205 bridge sucks for wind. You'll get use to it.

Also, get the sway bar from DAOX. It helps tremendously.

Last edited by Alex1a1f; 12-01-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    (blank signature)