Thread: oil drip when checking oil

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

oil drip when checking oil

Seems I always leave a drop of oil on either the belt or the wiring harness, places I'd prefer to not drip oil on. I wipe the drip off wherever it lands. Just seems, no matter how careful I am, I do this nearly every time I check the oil in the Mirage. Never had the problem with other cars, but using 10W30, etc. in those. Guess it's because the 0W20 is so light.
    Am I being too picky about making sure I wipe it off?
    Sorry, just whining.
    The cold weather has me grouchy. Hope everyone is doing well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Seems I always leave a drop of oil on either the belt or the wiring harness, places I'd prefer to not drip oil on. I wipe the drip off wherever it lands. Just seems, no matter how careful I am, I do this nearly every time I check the oil in the Mirage. Never had the problem with other cars, but using 10W30, etc. in those. Guess it's because the 0W20 is so light.
    Am I being too picky about making sure I wipe it off?
    Sorry, just whining.
    The cold weather has me grouchy. Hope everyone is doing well.
    I checked my oil today, & it did a single drop drip. I just wipe it off as best as possible, & think nothing of it. If that's your biggest issue on any given day, you have a great life!

Maybe you could design & patent an anti-drip dipstick? Take something you dislike and make millions to fix it!

I grew up driving tractors as a kid. You would have hated the old time Farmall tractors that had petcocks on their oil pans. If the bottom petcock didn't drip, you were low in oil. You fill them back up until the top petcock dripped. Wiping oil off of things came with checking oil.

I like motorcycles with glass windows on their oil pans the best. Just make sure the cycle is level and look.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I checked my oil today, & it did a single drop drip. I just wipe it off as best as possible, & think nothing of it. If that's your biggest issue on any given day, you have a great life!

Maybe you could design & patent an anti-drip dipstick? Take something you dislike and make millions to fix it!

I grew up driving tractors as a kid. You would have hated the old time Farmall tractors that had petcocks on their oil pans. If the bottom petcock didn't drip, you were low in oil. You fill them back up until the top petcock dripped. Wiping oil off of things came with checking oil.

I like motorcycles with glass windows on their oil pans the best. Just make sure the cycle is level and look.
    Great idea with the anti-drip stick. Actually, I like the oil level monitors some cars have. Just don't care for the cars that have it.
    I was just in a grumpy mood earlier right after checking my oil, and posted to vent while I was looking over the new forum posts. No, an oil drip is nothing compared to some of the crap I've been putting up with lately.
    If the anti-drip dipstick becomes popular, I'll be sure to let you in on the profits
    Have a great weekend!
    Tom

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Great idea with the anti-drip stick. Actually, I like the oil level monitors some cars have. Just don't care for the cars that have it.
    I was just in a grumpy mood earlier right after checking my oil, and posted to vent while I was looking over the new forum posts. No, an oil drip is nothing compared to some of the crap I've been putting up with lately.
    If the anti-drip dipstick becomes popular, I'll be sure to let you in on the profits
    Have a great weekend!
    Tom
    Someone else will probably invent it and make millions. We'll scratch our heads & wonder why we didn't do that!

The light 0W-20 oil surely doesn't help!

I have a friend that owned a 2012 Subaru Forester. They never check their oil. When they went in for an oil change, they had 1.5 quarts left (no warning light came on) on a vehicle that holds 5.5 quarts. Surely this vehicle would have failed an oil consumption test. Their dipstick probably wouldn't have dripped. Then again, their engine needed to be replaced.

I'd rather have some oil drip off my dipstick!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Someone else will probably invent it and make millions. We'll scratch our heads & wonder why we didn't do that!

The light 0W-20 oil surely doesn't help!

I have a friend that owned a 2012 Subaru Forester. They never check their oil. When they went in for an oil change, they had 1.5 quarts left (no warning light came on) on a vehicle that holds 5.5 quarts. Surely this vehicle would have failed an oil consumption test. Their dipstick probably wouldn't have dripped. Then again, their engine needed to be replaced.

I'd rather have some oil drip off my dipstick!
    Haha, Chrysler allows 1L per every 1500km driven. It's crazy.

And why not drag the dip stick tip on the tube as you remove it? Wick the excess off before you remove it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you wipe the stick and then dip it to check the oil? Or are you just pulling it out and checking it?

I always pull the dipstick out with a rag over it and wipe it off first. Then stab it back in to check the oil. Never have had a problem with oil dripping off of the stick. Maybe a very occasional drip. But, I've already got a rag or paper towel in my hand, so I don't worry about it.

Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (12-16-2019)