Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Oddball antenna

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Oddball antenna

    Hi All,

    Longtime lurker, finally have a reason to post a new topic. I bought a 2014 Mirage in March of 2014. It turns out that Mitsubishi changed the antenna design in April 2014 to from strange to standard. I had the antenna mast fall off my Mirage.

    It is a weird design that seems to have a collet rather than a thread. Pictures below. Has anyone worked on one of these? The collet seems to be incredibly tight and appears to be fiberglass reinforced plastic, so I have been afraid to break it. The mast is part number MR965508 (part 1 in diagram) and apparently is discontinued. I ordered one from Ebay. Has anyone worked on one of these?

    Any information would be appreciated.

    Thank you!

    DrMASE

    Name:  Mirage antenna 2-1 s-l1600.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  50.7 KB

    Name:  mirage antenna mast.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  1.6 KB

    Name:  mirage antenna a.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  10.7 KB


    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,527
    Thanks
    3,460
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMASE View Post
    Hi All,

    Longtime lurker, finally have a reason to post a new topic. I bought a 2014 Mirage in March of 2014. It turns out that Mitsubishi changed the antenna design in April 2014 to from strange to standard. I had the antenna mast fall off my Mirage.

    It is a weird design that seems to have a collet rather than a thread. Pictures below. Has anyone worked on one of these? The collet seems to be incredibly tight and appears to be fiberglass reinforced plastic, so I have been afraid to break it. The mast is part number MR965508 (part 1 in diagram) and apparently is discontinued. I ordered one from Ebay. Has anyone worked on one of these?

    Any information would be appreciated.

    Thank you!

    DrMASE
    Hello DrMASE.

    That's interesting as I thought for sure that would be a threaded antenna whip. Any chance you could post more detailed pictures?

    You've been a long-time member here! I'm curious to know what part of Ohio you're from.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  3. #3
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,957
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked 256 Times in 215 Posts
    Just go to Autozone and getva universal stubby antenna, thats what I did and it cut down on wind noise and works good.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,222
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 263 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Just go to Autozone and getva universal stubby antenna, thats what I did and it cut down on wind noise and works good.
    I wish. The stubby on my '17 is seriously lacking. I can't pick up FM stations in my driveway that I can receive in my house using a 2m/70cm HAM handy talkie. Ya, the factory '17 antenna sucks that much.

    And you can't interchange antennas from '14 to '17. I'm not happy. Anyone have any ideas for a good whip antenna for my '17?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  5. #5
    Member ed100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Are you sure yours isn’t threaded? I just looked on ebay at one of the MR965508 antennas for sale and it’s threaded and still in the package. I had to use pliars to get mine off the first time. Now I just finger tighten it so I can take it off at the car wash.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)


  6. #6
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,222
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 263 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    Are you sure yours isn’t threaded? I just looked on ebay at one of the MR965508 antennas for sale and it’s threaded and still in the package. I had to use pliars to get mine off the first time. Now I just finger tighten it so I can take it off at the car wash.
    Was that aimed at me? AFAIK the threads were opposite, meaning the whip from the 14 had male threads but the stubby had a female boss. At least that's what I remember.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, it has male threads, thank you! Wrapped the antenna end in a wide rubber band and applied a 12 inch set of channel locks. The antenna end broke loose with a crack and was removed easily after that. I guess I would rather be cautious than break it though. ☺

  8. #8
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Crack house
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    3,424
    Thanks
    1,380
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,028 Posts
    My antenna broke off(my 2014) the second time I went through an automatic car wash. I robbed one from a 17' or 15' cut the rubber collar off the bottom of the stubby one and threaded it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    Pardon me Mr. Fummins

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (01-15-2020)

  10. #9
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,222
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 263 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    My antenna broke off(my 2014) the second time I went through an automatic car wash. I robbed one from a 17' or 15' cut the rubber collar off the bottom of the stubby one and threaded it on.
    Did you notice a difference in reception using the stubby antenna? Or do you live fairly close the FM stations you favor?

    With my Mirages in the driveway the 17 is hopeless trying to receive most of my favorite stations while the stations are strong and clear in our 14 . The problem becomes worse when I'm in the "urban" part of the Falls. Even small buildings effectively block the signals on the 17.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  11. #10
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Crack house
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    3,424
    Thanks
    1,380
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,028 Posts
    All of the stations I listen to are out of Edmonton. The furthest station is maybe 45km away. I did notice crappy reception with just the broken stub of the 14' antenna. The "new" one works fine, haven't been out of town with it yet though.


    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    Pardon me Mr. Fummins

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •