Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're a Mirage owner/driver when...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    No D, not traded in.............yet but I'm assured the dealer wants to buy a trade in at stupid prices.
    I keep looking at a Vauxhall Corsa.

Attachment 17262

Attachment 17263
    That's a good looking ride but don't do it Chad! You won't post on here anymore and we need your witty banter sir!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I was considering trading in my Mirage myself, but realize I have a good thing going with my Mirage, even if the car isn't a Cadillac.

Vauxhall eh? English General Motors I believe. The Vauxhall Corsa actually reminds me of the last Chevy Cruise they ever made. The 2017 style Cruises. Only a little bit like a GM though, I am liking the interior.

Further evidence that in Canada, we don't get hardly any of the subcompacts made around the world. The new Datsun is another one.
    How many other small cars would do well in a Canadian market that sold 2,270 Mirages & 6,361 Micras in 2019?

Numbers like those aren't going to draw any new brands to Canadian. Not that the States are much better when it comes to the small car market.

I personally feel the Honda Fit is a pretty nice car, and it's being dropped here. If Honda is giving up on selling smaller cars here, that says something to me.

Those of us that appreciate & enjoy small cars are not the norm in the North America. I get what you are saying, however. I would enjoy shopping for small cars in the U.K., too!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I personally feel the Honda Fit is a pretty nice car, and it's being dropped here. If Honda is giving up on selling smaller cars here, that says something to me.
    I guess I did not realize that they only sold north of 2000 Mirages in Canada last year. I never see many Mirage's around, but the odd one for sure.

Lots and lots of Honda Fit's sold in Canada. There is a big Honda plant a few hours from Toronto. Anyway you see 50 Honda Fit's before you see 1 Mirage.

Honda has good quality, but I don't like the looks of the Fit. Not a fan of the new Civic either.

I wouldn't mind picking up a low KM Fiat 500 used, or a low km Micra... try out the other recent small cars that way. In the $5-6000 range, I could get a lot of Nissan Micra for that money. And a 5 speed manual & cd player.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-01-2020 at 03:01 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I did not realize that they only sold north of 2000 Mirages in Canada last year. I never see many Mirage's around, but the odd one for sure.

Lots and lots of Honda Fit's sold in Canada. There is a big Honda plant a few hours from Toronto. Anyway you see 50 Honda Fit's before you see 1 Mirage.

Honda has good quality, but I don't like the looks of the Fit. Not a fan of the new Civic either.

I wouldn't mind picking up a low KM Fiat 500 used, or a low km Micra... try out the other recent small cars that way. In the $5-6000 range, I could get a lot of Nissan Micra for that money. And a 5 speed manual & cd player.
    117 Fiat 500s sold in Canada in 2019. There's a reason for that I believe.

I know someone who bought a slightly used 2019 Fiat Spider 124 with 6,000 miles on it this summer. He paid well over $20,000 for it, and it was recently hauled to a Fiat dealership on a flatbed truck. I believe his engine is blown. Something caused it to lose its oil. I haven't heard the final outcome.

When he first showed me his car (he was very proud of it) this past fall, I was telling myself only a fool would buy this over a Mazda Miata. The Miata may be one of the most dependable cars on the market.

The Micra's low fuel economy would bother me. Not saying it's a bad car. If I am going to drive a small economy car, it should cheap, reliable, & be very economical to drive. Otherwise, I am owning/driving something larger & nicer.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I was considering trading in my Mirage myself, but realize I have a good thing going with my Mirage, even if the car isn't a Cadillac.

Vauxhall eh? English General Motors I believe. The Vauxhall Corsa actually reminds me of the last Chevy Cruise they ever made. The 2017 style Cruises. Only a little bit like a GM though, I am liking the interior.

Further evidence that in Canada, we don't get hardly any of the subcompacts made around the world. The new Datsun is another one.
    Vauxhall has a great history. There was a Folkes Hall just south of the River Thames that eventually became Vauxhall where a company was formed the Vauxhall Iron Works eventually into Vauxhall Motors. Acquired in 1925 by GM. GM no longer own Vauxhall and are now owned by the PSA group (Peugeot, Citroen) along with the Opel brand. Vauxhall is about 2 miles from where I lived in London. It is where MI6 (SIS) is located.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The compact version of the Fiat 500 has reached the end of it's life in North America as well. Also, the repair costs on them are UNGODLY, and even if you need a basic service, half the time the parts need to be shipped from Italy. They are NOT cheap cars to maintain. An oil change on the Turbo models, using FCA approved oil, runs you $50 MORE than doing a 7l oil change on a Dodge Ram. Actually, the cost is not far off a 12l Cummins oil change price. Stupid euro spec premium oil. Replacement parts, when compared to say a new Cherokee, are double at least, and the labour times are unheard of. You need 24" of extensions to remove the oil filter canister, and it's a DOG to get to if you aren't using any swivels halfway down that extension.

The headlamp bulbs are crazy priced, the brakes ain't cheap... it's just, no, just seriously NO. Mirage sized, Porsche priced.

Only the big Fiats remain for 2020. The 500 is being sold as a 2020 to clear out 2019 stock, only the 500L and the 500... van thing, remain on the market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-03-2020)

Mirage sized, Porsche priced.
    FCA missed a golden marketing tagline with that one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You know your a Mirage owner when you almost consider going to a quicklube after fighting with the oil filter for an eternity. Except can't even if you wanted to since you've dented and ripped holes in the oil filter.

Oh wow. Uh oh. Keep us posted!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    You know your a Mirage owner when you almost consider going to a quicklube after fighting with the oil filter for an eternity. Except can't even if you wanted to since you've dented and ripped holes in the oil filter.
    Sadly, that could happen to anyone on any type of vehicle. Not fun!