Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Will the highest mile/km CVT owner please stand up?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Because Nissan fills their transmissions with oatmeal? Mitsubishi uses that reEEEally expensive lubricant.
    I thought Nissan was selling "two for the price of one". That way you'll have an extra CVT on hand when the replacement one fails.

Quote - "As of March 2015, JATCO is 75% owned by Nissan, 15% owned by Mitsubishi Motors, and 10% owned by Suzuki."

Since Nissan owns most of company, they may give themselves a better deal on transmission?

I have no concept of how these things work!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    As far as I know Fummins is the leader at 186k.

I feel that if I make it at least to 150k, it's lived a good life. I don't know if I will replace the CVT when it fails (I would if it was within warranty), since I don't really want to buy a used CVT and hope it wasn't thrashed in it's previous life.

Also, totally not surprised that a manual might go to 300k. I had a '91 Accord with a 5-speed with 368k and I hate-shifted that thing everywhere. Then you got guys that do 1.3 million miles with just fluid flushes ...
    Have you seen the 109 year old still driving his truck around, and smoking cigars? The navy vet. Gets up early and drinks coffee and whiskey all day. Sits on the porch. I found the link from official National Geographic, but I saw another short movie about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Because Mitsubishi likes to rape you after the fact? That's what I think anyway... the markup on parts seems to be really high.

It might be because of supply. Think how many more Nissans use that transmission (and it's made by a Nissan subsidiary) so they probably buy a lot more of them meaning the price goes down.
    Mitsu owns a 10% stake in JATCO too. Look at the pictures on the websites, there is not one difference! If my cvt ever goes out, why cant I just purchase the one from Nissan?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    The Chevy Spark, who owns no % of JATCO, sells the CVT7 for $1600! Can someone please explain this? I know Mitsu has a better track record with CVTs than Nissan or Chevy, could this have something to do with it? I gotta go to work soon, if anyone is at home bored and feels like tackling this mystery, please do. I know we have good detectives on here, Fummins, Mark, CobraJet, Top Fuel, Inviks, Eggman, Dodge Ares, Metro, etc. Only if your that bored though. There has to be a written reason for this!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Mitsu owns a 10% stake in JATCO too. Look at the pictures on the websites, there is not one difference! If my cvt ever goes out, why cant I just purchase the one from Nissan?
    If your tranny goes kerplunk in your Mirage in 7 years, surely you wouldn't be dropping 1600 bucks into the car. I think the car might be a "write off" --Dirk you should have gone manual

Then you're part of the lost art of shifting gears.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am at 144k miles on my mirage now and still running strong enough. There’s a weird clacking sound coming from under the hood, but my RPMs aren’t erratic. Transmission is shifting smooth, last trans fluid change was at 115k miles

The Chevy Spark, who owns no % of JATCO, sells the CVT7 for $1600! Can someone please explain this? I know Mitsu has a better track record with CVTs than Nissan or Chevy, could this have something to do with it? I gotta go to work soon, if anyone is at home bored and feels like tackling this mystery, please do. I know we have good detectives on here, Fummins, Mark, CobraJet, Top Fuel, Inviks, Eggman, Dodge Ares, Metro, etc. Only if your that bored though. There has to be a written reason for this!
    The versa has 109hp, and spark has 98hp. So that's 50% and 33% more than the Mirage(2015) with 74hp. Less power=less strain. The Mirage is also lighter, I assume at least. Smaller lighter wheels, less rotating mass etc.....I believe each mfg programs the transmission to their own cars too. I haven't driven many other cvt cars but the Mirage probably isn't the most refined but does the job. Usually.

You might be able to make a nissan cvt fit. After changing the bellhousing it might bolt up? I don't recall there being a cvt module inside so you should be fine there. But I don't know if the pin out on the round plug would be the same from nissan to mitsubishi?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    The Chevy Spark, who owns no % of JATCO, sells the CVT7 for $1600! Can someone please explain this?
    That's interesting...here's what a CVT for a 2015 Chevy Spark costs...

Name:  cvt_price.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  39.7 KB

So that's less than half of what Mitsubishi charges for one. I don't have a good explanation. Mitsubishi has a limited parts network in the US and they are known in the repair industry for high parts prices.

Let me give you another example. I have a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The engine/transmission in that car was built by Chrysler and was used in some Chrysler vehicles. If I need an engine part (sensor, etc.), I will figure out the Chrysler part number and then buy the part at a Chrysler dealer. Why? Because that identical part at a Mitsubishi dealer is usually close to twice the cost. Often the part is in Chrysler packaging with a Mitsubishi label stuck on it.

But like Fummins mentioned...between the bellhousing and possible electronics differences, the same CVT model from a completely different vehicle may not be a simple bolt-in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-30-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ive called Mitsu corp, Nissan/Mitsu/Chevy service centers, Aamco, etc. and no one can even give me a hypothesis as to what the differences are between the units or why Mitsu charges 60% more? Its frustrating because the way Im racking up miles, Im going to need this info sooner than later. If I get a legit answer, Ill let the board know for sure.

Don’t be afraid of moving forward. The future is bright. God bless you. Here’s wishing you success in everything you do.
    Success comes only to those who believe in themselves and are prepared to win. Moving on to a new stage in life can be a challenging process. Without a doubt, you will continue to have success in all areas. May you do well and come out with flying colors.
    Try a little harder to be a little better. The future is bright and beautiful. Love it, strive for it and work for it. Be strong as you fight your way to success, the difficulty you face is nothing compared to the joy of success.

Stupid coronavirus

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-31-2020)