Page 54 of 95 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Masks clearly don't work. It's well known they don't work against viruses and the explosion in cases proves that. I see everyone in masks and still the counts are insane.
    Maybe the custodian wants to breathe how nature intended? And covers his mouth to give a false sense of protection to ppl who feel masks work? Pretty nice of him to be honest. His mouth is covered. Not enough??

Staying at least 6' apart is far more effective than a cloth mask. Ppl with masks think they are a force field.
    Masks work my friend. It's not a "false sense of protection" if it works. Might as well remove the air filter in all the cars then since it's just a 'false sense of protection' for my engine, right? lol. Not trying to fight at all here btw! Just trying to get numbers and actual facts. I think masks DO work as they should. If anything, it does 'reduce' the chances of someone from getting COVID. That's why other countries are probably doing much better than we are. Then again, our numbers are skyrocketing too.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...virus-covid-19

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Masks may not capture 100% of the particles breathed in or out but like any other filter they are effective at reducing the amount of stuff. And that’s why masks are so important.

Who would want their surgical team to conduct a procedure without masks?

This or any other disease has no political affinities. It’ll infect any host it can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-09-2020),Dirk Diggler (11-09-2020)

I believe beer prevents the covids. Not being tested is also a good preventative measure.

I hate wearing masks and now go out even less than I used to just so I don't have to. But I get over it, hike up my panties and put on a stupid mask like everyone else.

Kids have to wear masks in schools here. I think? The few cases they had in schools are believed that been contracted outside of the schools and not spread between students. They loosened the restrictions a little for kids too, if you have symptoms of the common cold(I forgot the requirements) and no major signs of the covids then the kid just has to stay home until they feel better not 14 days.
    My kids have this entire week off school for some random teacher holiday..Which worked out well cause all three of them are taking turns being sick starting last Friday.. 2 are almost better and the last one just started coughing last night...Damnit!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pfizer's Covid vaccine is being touted as 90% effective against new infections of the coronavirus. So, maybe that explains why the Dow Jones is skyrocketing today?

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the pandemic.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pfize...tive-1.5794899

Eggman: I also thought about surgeries with no masks on. Who would want to go to the dentist, if everyone wasn't wearing a mask? I don't want to go back to the barbershop dentistry era lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Get the vaccine and smoke weed too should help.
    https://www.silive.com/news/2020/09/...plication.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Masks may not capture 100% of the particles breathed in or out but like any other filter they are effective at reducing the amount of stuff. And that’s why masks are so important.

Who would want their surgical team to conduct a procedure without masks?

This or any other disease has no political affinities. It’ll infect any host it can.
    Surgeons wear a mask and shield for fluids and bacteria not viruses. A properly fitted n95 mask on a clean shaven face does offer some protection. Any of these silly cotton or spandex contraptions ppl wear do nothing.

Wisconsin coincidentally started to have cases skyrocket right when the mask mandate went into effect.
    CDC also did a very good study across the country on covid positive people. 70% always wore their mask. Another 15% often did.

If you asked any virologist before 2020 if these silly masks would do anything against a virus they would laugh you out of the room.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Surgeons wear a mask and shield for fluids and bacteria not viruses. A properly fitted n95 mask on a clean shaven face does offer some protection. Any of these silly cotton or spandex contraptions ppl wear do nothing.

Wisconsin coincidentally started to have cases skyrocket right when the mask mandate went into effect.
    CDC also did a very good study across the country on covid positive people. 70% always wore their mask. Another 15% often did.

If you asked any virologist before 2020 if these silly masks would do anything against a virus they would laugh you out of the room.
    They would also laugh anyone out of the room that didn't take Covid19 seriously or thought it was a political strategy to scare up votes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    So I did a little digging around:

This little bug in no more deadly than the flu to people under 75. Its only slightly worse for elderly and actually not as bad as the flu for people under 30.
    Snopes.com: Is Seasonal Flu More Deadly Than COVID-19?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopes.com | Madison Dapcevich | Published 28 July 2020 | Updated 28 July 2020
    Is Seasonal Flu More Deadly Than COVID-19?
    The real point is: Both diseases can kill. And experts warn we may be dealing with them simultaneously this fall.

Claim
    The seasonal flu kills more people every year in the U.S. than COVID-19 has to date.

Rating
    False

This claim is false and dangerously downplays the severity of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. In terms of the case fatality rate, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) describes as the number of people who die from a given condition, medical experts argue that COVID-19 is, in fact, deadlier than the seasonal flu. Though COVID-19 fatality rates vary largely depending on available medical infrastructure within a country, Johns Hopkins University of Medicine reports that the U.S. is among the 20 countries most affected by the virus and has a mortality rate of 3.4%. By comparison, flu infections over the last decade have resulted in a mortality rate hovering around .1%.

COVID-19 is also deadlier in terms of how many people are estimated to die from it per year. Preliminary estimates from the CDC found that the 2018-19 influenza season resulted in an estimated 34,200 deaths in the U.S. As of July 27, 2020, more than 4.2 million COVID-19 cases had been reported across 50 states, seven territories and Washington, D.C., and more than 146,500 deaths were associated with the respiratory disease — nearly four times the death toll associated with the 2018-19 flu season.

Influenza impacts can vary widely from year to year and while the infection places a “substantial burden on the health of people in the U.S. every year,” estimated annual deaths caused by the flu over the last decade are significantly lower than COVID-19 deaths reported in the first seven months of 2020

Masks clearly don't work.
    Snopes.com: Are These Claims About the Effectiveness of Face Masks True?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopes.com | by Nur Ibrahim |Published 18 June 2020 | Updated 15 July 2020
    Are These Claims About the Effectiveness of Face Masks True?
    Widely shared posts from the summer of 2020, purportedly citing the CDC and U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, offered numerous claims but little evidence.

Claim
    A Facebook post is correct in saying N95 masks, surgical masks, and cloth masks can be dangerous and/or ineffective in protecting against the spread of COVID-19 based on CDC and U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines.

Rating
    Mostly False

What's True
    N95 respirators with valves do allow unfiltered exhaled air to reach others, increasing the risk of spreading infection. Cloth and surgical masks do not protect the wearer from airborne infection. Cloth masks also get dirty easily, which is why OSHA and CDC recommend regular washing.

What's False
    However, contrary to the posts, OSHA and CDC have not recommended against wearing face coverings of any kind. Also contrary to the posts, cloth and surgical masks are not entirely ineffective because they prevent the wearer from transmitting infection to others through droplets. Surgical masks also protect wearers from getting potential infections via droplets. In addition, people who wear these masks are in little to no danger of breathing in too much carbon dioxide.

In sum, the varied claims in these viral posts (with their dubious origins) for the most part misrepresented information provided by OSHA and the CDC. Scientific wisdom argues that wearing a mask is more effective than doing nothing, and, combined with social distancing and other safety measures, offers protection not only to the wearer but to others. Given these posts’ combination of only a few correct facts and largely incorrect conclusions, we rate their various claims as “Mostly False.”
    Not sure how much stock anyone puts into Snopes, but there you have it.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-09-2020 at 11:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-10-2020),Dirk Diggler (11-09-2020),inuvik (11-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Snopes is not where I'd go for reliable information. But, unlike others in this country, I won't demand they be censored or shut down. Freedom, what a concept. Use their site if you want, but caveat emptor.

https://foodbabe.com/do-you-trust-sn...to-operatives/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So I did a little digging around:

Snopes.com: Is Seasonal Flu More Deadly Than COVID-19?

Snopes.com: Are These Claims About the Effectiveness of Face Masks True?

Not sure how much stock anyone puts into Snopes, but there you have it.
    The second story has some validity but the first one is very off. The numbers for the flu can vary from 20ish thousand to some reports (oddly hard to find now via google) 80k a year for the flu.....and that's with many years of experience in handling the seasonal flu and with a yearly flu shot!

Check the numbers when it pertains to children. The seasonal flu is actually more deadly some years, hitting up to 140-150 deaths a year.

Here is Wisconsin there has not been a single person aged 0-19 that has died of the Corona virus.

This really isn't a debate. The masks the majority of ppl wear, in the manner they are wearing them simple will not help in protecting them from a virus!

The only study I've read that was worth a darn said if worn and fitted properly, your typical mask could help from 2-3% over no mask. Most are not fitted properly and if worn over facial hair, forget it.

Any spray that lands on your mask will set in and zip right through it, ensuring the possibility of receiving a larger viral load than if someone caught a passing "whiff" of the virus.

Last edited by Pryme; 11-10-2020 at 01:37 AM.